Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Quick! Grabbit while you can > It's Gone, but was it any good? > Divx-capable DVD player with Freeview tuner: Unde... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Divx-capable DVD player with Freeview tuner: Under 42
Closed Thread
Views: 26,948
# 1
MSE Martin
Old 29-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Money Saving Expert
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Divx-capable DVD player with Freeview tuner: Under 42

What's the deal?

Currently, an MPEG4 Compatible DVD (Divx) Player with Freeview is available from web retailer SVP for under £42, (including delivery) when purchased using Google Checkout which gives a £10 reduction (more about this method below).

Seperately, the cheapest DivX players and Freeview boxes are around £25 and £20 respectively, before factoring in delivery costs; thus if you're thinking about upgrading to have both of these features, this all-in-one box is worth considering.

But what does it do?

Right ok let me explain.
  • It's multi-region. This means the DVD Player that can plays discs from anywhere in the world.
  • It's Divx. This means it also allows downloaded media files (audio, video, photo) to be played on your TV from either a self made CD/DVD recordable compilation or you can plug in SD, MMC or Memory Stick cards; or a USB hard drive to be played too.
  • It's Freeview. Additionally, the Freeview component enables digital TV access, so if your area receives the Freeview signal (you can check your coverage on the Freeview website) you'll gain up to 30 extra channels and 20 radio stations.
How to get your hands on one

The Umax DVD-7600XTV DivX/DVD Player With DVB-T (Freeview) Tuner can be purchased online at SVP. When viewing your cart, be sure to pick the UK Mainland & IOW / Economy Courier delivery option, as this is cheapest, at £4.99.

To receive the £10 reduction, simply click the 'Pay by Google Checkout' button. Then either sign into your Google account, or register for a free one (it'll ask you if you want to) if you haven't already done so. After that, it's easy to make your payment, and you'll get the nice £10 discount (for more info about the Google offer, take a look at this forum thread.)

Alternatively, for those who live near Devon, there is the option of collecting in person from the warehouse, saving £5 delivery if you're likely to be nearby.

If you spot a similar product at a cheaper price, please click reply and report it below.

Martin

Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 30-05-2007 at 1:53 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSE Martin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
bubbles2007
Old 30-05-2007, 9:11 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i bagged one when it was a fiver less a few days go! waiting for it to arrive now...
# 3
Totoriko
Old 30-05-2007, 10:08 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Would have been even better if it had ethernet connection in order to stream media directly instead of having to burn DVDs. Good price still for having integrated freeview
# 4
dinerouk
Old 30-05-2007, 12:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default comments worth seeing

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=2344
Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
# 5
hunnybunny12
Old 30-05-2007, 12:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Thanks Martin

Thanks Martin,

Excellent spot! Just what was needed!

Hunnybunny x
# 6
jtzt
Old 30-05-2007, 1:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile Delivery pull-down

Just ordered one!

It's hard to see the shipping options and so I looked "behind the scenes" of the web page and here is what the pull-down menu should display:

UK Mainland & IOW / Economy Courier (4.99)
UK Mainland & IOW / Parcelforce (6.13)
UK Mainland & IOW / Special Delivery by 1PM (18.50)
UK Mainland & IOW / Saturday Delivery (Order Fri by 3) (8.99)
UK Mainland & IOW / Next Business Day INTERLINK (6.49)
UK Mainland & IOW / Next Business Day CITYLINK (5.99)
Northern Ireland & IOM / Parcel Courier (8.10)
Europe Z1 / 2 - 4 Working Days
Europe Z2 / 3 - 6 Working Days
Europe Z3 / 3 - 7 Working Days
Europe Z4 / 4 - 8 Working Days
Collection in Person / Collect from Unit 14, Torbay Business Park (0.00)
# 7
klb
Old 30-05-2007, 4:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Now out of stock.
# 8
jinkssick
Old 30-05-2007, 8:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

So let me get this right?!

I connect my 250gb external HD to this and voila. It will read it?
Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives
call your credit card company, tell them that you want to leave, 99% of the time theyll lower your APR%
Remember when that Bank Manager or Salesperson smiles at you, all he sees is notes. Dont forget the motto, "the wider their grin, the more debt your in"
# 9
faz
Old 30-05-2007, 9:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkssick View Post

Doesn't look like it, shame:

- Playback via SD, MMC and Memory Stick cards (image and music files)
- Playback via USB port (image and music files)

Still excellent value IMHO.
# 10
Bulwer
Old 30-05-2007, 9:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkssick View Post

If that is what you want to do then get one of these :-

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1627

Shove a FAT32 hard disk in it loaded with DIVXs and XVIDS and it will play straight to your TV. I have one for when I stay away in hotels - just connect straight to a composite connection or via a scart adaptor and watch whatever you want. Smashing piece of kit!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bulwer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
MADCAT19
Old 30-05-2007, 11:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

As was said, it's out of stock but the Umax Kazuki DVD-2800X MPEG4/DivX/DVD Player (http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=2344) is available for less (no Freeview). I already have the basic channels from Virgin Media, does Freeview give any more? I mean, if I already have the telly, should I just get this and get over with it? Any suggestions, much appreciated! Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to MADCAT19 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
delb0y
Old 30-05-2007, 11:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

that too is a cracking deal and a good player. you will get that for 20 ! with the 10 google checkout off
# 13
MADCAT19
Old 31-05-2007, 12:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Question

Shall I get it then? Right here - Right now?
# 14
bubbles2007
Old 31-05-2007, 11:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

mine has just arrived. got it from svp for £37...

off button on the unit switches it off completely - i like to save energy
epg is seven days
super fast at changing channels and starting up (ondigi box took 20 secs!)
lcd shows freeview info, like channel number PLUS clock which always knows the time when it is off.
the system is very sophisticated compared to my on digital box, great features like showing you a sized down picture while accessing tv guides, menus. shows you detailed info about everything you could possibly need to know about the channels you are watching, including channel strength.
different preset sound can be adjusted and for those who hook it up to a hifi or sound system, you can benefit from fewer connections as both dvd and freeview sound comes from one unit
you can choose between wide or 4:3 AND zoom the picture 2x, 4x etc
there are games
you can even organise channel by type: movies, shows etc - loads of little great features like these...

the tray is flimsy, but on the flip side it also looks kind of elegant to be a slim slot instead of a chunky tray. remote isnt too bad, ive seen worse for budget electronics.

ONLY PROBLEM IS NO BBCi, TELETEXT AND COLOURED BUTTONS!?!? also, I think subtitles cannot be activated, though i havent really tried it. oh yeah, there is no rf cable for a lopp through to your tv (so it can pick up the analogue signal - you will need to get your own)

Last edited by bubbles2007; 31-05-2007 at 11:54 AM.
# 15
neilwoods
Old 31-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

As the player accepts USB, then an external HD may work. If it is has its own external power and is FAT32 then there may be possible to use it.

Be good if someone has one to try it.
# 16
bubbles2007
Old 31-05-2007, 1:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

my hd is nfts. most people will have this format as that's what recent versions of windows format as default. and it is more secure. so, if anyone can be bothered to reformat a disk to the older file system or have a spare, let us know... but even it works, it will be a nightmare finding files!
# 17
~Chameleon~
Old 31-05-2007, 1:21 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADCAT19 View Post
As was said, it's out of stock but the Umax Kazuki DVD-2800X MPEG4/DivX/DVD Player (http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=2344) is available for less (no Freeview). I already have the basic channels from Virgin Media, does Freeview give any more? I mean, if I already have the telly, should I just get this and get over with it? Any suggestions, much appreciated! Thanks!

I've just bought one of these as I already have Freeview built in my tv anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz
Doesn't look like it, shame:

- Playback via SD, MMC and Memory Stick cards (image and music files)
- Playback via USB port (image and music files)
My external HDD connects via USB so surely it should work with this dvd player? :confused:
# 18
MADCAT19
Old 31-05-2007, 8:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default All right then!

You know what? I'll get one, too! And sod Freeview. I've got cable anyway... :confused:

.... [few minutes later] I got one! I got one! Hurra! Anyway, I just thought I give you this for even more MS!

"** Guarantee on our prices **
We also offer a 7 day "Price Protection" guarantee on our own prices.

If you buy a product from us and we lower the price of that product on our website within 7 days of you placing your order, then email us to point out the price drop and we will refund you the difference between the two amounts. This offer is almost unique amongst technology retailers because technology products have a reputation for dropping in price very quickly. We offer this service because we know how annoying it is to buy a product and see the price drop days or even hours after you place your order! Note that this guarantee does not apply to freight or packaging charges or items bought through eBay."

Better to keep an eye for the next week or so eh? ;-)

Last edited by MADCAT19; 31-05-2007 at 8:26 PM. Reason: adding stuff...
# 19
bubbles2007
Old 31-05-2007, 9:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADCAT19 View Post
You know what? I'll get one, too! And sod Freeview. I've got cable anyway... :confused:

.... [few minutes later] I got one! I got one! Hurra! Anyway, I just thought I give you this for even more MS!

"** Guarantee on our prices **
We also offer a 7 day "Price Protection" guarantee on our own prices.

If you buy a product from us and we lower the price of that product on our website within 7 days of you placing your order, then email us to point out the price drop and we will refund you the difference between the two amounts. This offer is almost unique amongst technology retailers because technology products have a reputation for dropping in price very quickly. We offer this service because we know how annoying it is to buy a product and see the price drop days or even hours after you place your order! Note that this guarantee does not apply to freight or packaging charges or items bought through eBay."

Better to keep an eye for the next week or so eh? ;-)
its worth the extra few quid to add freeview to the system. i forgot to mention, you can even use the pause button to pause live tv!

i have cable too, but you dont get e4/film4/itv1...+1 channels they handy to have - and sky news, not that i watch it anymore, with freeview...
# 20
terrierlady
Old 01-06-2007, 8:26 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

blast too late again out of stock.....
my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread