🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Spill the beans on... what’s put you off making a DIY PPI complaint.

Options
Spill the beans on... what’s put you off making a DIY PPI complaint.

Hopefully, everyone who gets this email now knows that you can potentially reclaim £1,000s on PPI yourself, easily, for free. But many are put off and shell out huge sums for lawyer's to reclaim for them. Is this you? What put you off?

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide .

View all past Spill the Beans/Great Hunts .

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Redliam
    Options
    Has anyone ever claimed back PPI from them
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Maybe - just maybe - the fact that I have never had PPI?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Maybe - just maybe - the fact that I have never had PPI?
    But this only put you off complaining at all, it didn't induce you to pay someone to complain on your behalf.:p

I think this thread will be a dismal failure because not very many are actually paying "lawyers" to claim for them.
    I also think it invites spammers to post about spurious claim companies.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    I had a five year mortgage with Halifax, which I paid off early without penalty. Then I got a couple of letters from LV about the PPI that I'd stopped paying. This was before the PPI scandal broke. I had a clear out of paperwork so have no details of the mortgage or the LV account. I wrote to LV but I can imagine the laughter when they read I had no detaiols of the account!!
  • chocky
    chocky Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    I made a claim on one loan that I had PPI on. Presumably that means it wouldnt get a refund?
    chockychocky :A
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    that it was Lloyds and they've already dismissed the claim and told me they will consider it closed if I didn't respond within 28 days
    I was in hospital and couldn't deal with it and the 28 days elapsed before I could do anything else... can I resubmit the claim again in the light of the recent findings?
    what should I put?
    should I go straight to the ombudsman?
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    I like turtles.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    . But many are put off and shell out huge sums for lawyer's to reclaim for them.

No the do not. Solicitors have largely avoided getting involved with PPI. You should not mix up claim companies with solicitors.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A close friend filled in all the paperwork for a DIY claim and their reply was that the company that supplied the goods had gone out of business. He would have gained several thousand pounds from it, but didn't pursue.

My thoughts were: a finance company would have handled the PPI, not the company that supplied the goods. The company supplying the goods went out of business. The finance company is probably still alive & well.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My thoughts were: a finance company would have handled the PPI, not the company that supplied the goods.

Nope. The selling company is responsible for the sale of the policy. You are not making a complaint about the product. You are making a complaint about the sale of the product.

The only time a lender would have liability for the sale is if it is one of their employees/agents that sold it (e.g. a bank clerk working for a bank selling a bank loan). There is a small window going back to pre-regulation days where an insurer could carry the liability. However, that only applies in a tiny number of cases.
    A close friend filled in all the paperwork for a DIY claim and their reply was that the company that supplied the goods had gone out of business. He would have gained several thousand pounds from it, but didn't pursue.

If he bought the product after January 2005, he can refer his complaint to the FSCS. If he bought before jan 2005 then its game over if the lender says the seller was not an agent/employer of theirs.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport