Vanguard extend ETF range

Options
Vanguard have extended their ETF range see here.

The new ETFs are:-

FTSE Developed Europe UCITS ETF (TER 0.15%)
FTSE Japan UCITS ETF (TER 0.19%)
FTSE Developed Asia Pacific ex Japan UCITS ETF (TER 0.22%)
FTSE All World High Dividend Yield UCITS ETF (TER 0.29%)

Measured by TER alone all are as cheap as it gets (unless you know otherwise) for tracking these indices via ETFs.

Pretty much as cheap as any OEIC or unit trust tracking these indices as well.
I came, I saw, I melted

Comments

• JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Adding just one more would have been a significant extention :)

hopefully more will follow.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • aspiration_2
    aspiration_2 Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone suggest best (economical) place for one of these in an ISA - HL, BestInvest, Sippdeal, III ???
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 May 2013 at 1:32PM
    Options
    aspiration wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest best (economical) place for one of these in an ISA - HL, BestInvest, Sippdeal, III ???

I'm holding 3 of the original Vanguard ETFs (JohnRo would say most of them :rotfl:) via First Direct sharedealing, as I am a First Direct customer and their charges are not excessive.

There is no custody charge.

I'm holding mine outside of an ISA (my ISAs are elsewhere) but there is no charge for the ISA wrapper if I had used one.

Dealing is £11 per trade.

For a list of other options see monevator and special saver's thread.

It depends on your individual size and mix of investments amongst other things where best to hold them.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • SnowMan
    Options
    A good article on monevator about the Vanguard ETF extended range

http://monevator.com/four-new-etfs-from-vanguard/
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • SnowMan
    Options
    I think this Vanguard press release means the TER on the Vanguard Emerging Markets ETF (GBP denominated) is reducing from 0.45% to 0.29% from 3rd December (?)

https://www.vanguard.co.uk/documents/portal/press_releases/vanguard-lowers-ter-on-23-irish-domiciled-funds.pdf
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • SnowMan
    Options
    One feature of some of the Vanguard ETFs is that even for the sterling denominated classes, dividends are paid in dollars, which are then converted by the broker to £s.

So there are additional costs involved there.

I've tried to find out from First Direct sharedealing what the spread is on their foreign currency conversion when dividends are converted from $s to £s, but struggling a bit to get an answer at the moment (FD are going to get back to me in a few days).

However I have found out that the VUSA (and VFEM) dividends both paid on 27th December 2013 were converted at a rate of around 0.6092 (£20.43 paid for a $33.53 dividend) or 0.6093 (£52.26 paid for a $85.79 dividend).

Can anyone else who is with a different broker who holds these ETFs and received these payments tell me what their broker conversion rate was and what spread their broker uses, and was it paid on 27th December 2013?

Thanks.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • SecLender
    SecLender Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    I bought some VHYL towards the end of last year through X-O and this is what I see on my statement:

27-Dec-2013 Dividend VAND FUND 72 Shares GBP 10.82

Can't see anywhere that it tells me what conversion rate I got. I have to say, i've not found anywhere useful that i can get any meaningful info about these funds regarding dividends. This was the first (and only so far) ETF i've ever bought, I bought these just to get my feet wet with ETF's.
  • westy22
    westy22 Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    VUSA paid on 27 Dec at a rate of 0.6124 (X-O Stockbrokers)
    Old dog but always delighted to learn new tricks!
  • SnowMan
    Options
    SecLender wrote: »
    I bought some VHYL towards the end of last year through X-O and this is what I see on my statement:

27-Dec-2013 Dividend VAND FUND 72 Shares GBP 10.82

Can't see anywhere that it tells me what conversion rate I got. I have to say, i've not found anywhere useful that i can get any meaningful info about these funds regarding dividends. This was the first (and only so far) ETF i've ever bought, I bought these just to get my feet wet with ETF's.

Thanks

First Direct sharedealing don't show the $ amount of the dividend either only the £ amount paid after conversion. I had to ring them up to get the dollar amounts and hence conversion rates. that i quoted in my earlier post.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • westy22
    westy22 Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SnowMan wrote: »
    Thanks

First Direct sharedealing don't show the $ amount of the dividend either only the £ amount paid after conversion. I had to ring them up to get the dollar amounts and hence conversion rates. that i quoted in my earlier post.

For VUSA it is shares held x $0.13 for the 27 Dec dividend.
    Old dog but always delighted to learn new tricks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure