Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    needsomecash
    dilemma with older dog
    • 17th May 13, 5:12 PM
    dilemma with older dog 17th May 13 at 5:12 PM
    Hi All,

Our family dog is a 12 and a half year old collie/Alsatian. We went to the vets a few days ago for his annual booster as he is booked into kennels in july for 2 weeks.

Our dog has been fine but over the last couple of weeks he has sometimes fell over and he also struggles to get up when he has been laying down for a while. In the mornings when I let him out he just looks at you however once he is up he runs around the garden like normal although he will fall over sometimes. I know this was a sign that his back legs are failing.

The vet examined him and was concerned that he has gone thin (he has a thick coat so it was hard to spot). I have noticed in the last few days before the vets he doesnt eat all his food but then the next day he will eat it all. He may not eat the food in the bowl but if you throw him some scraps he will eat them, so I do not think his appetite has gone! I have now started to give him smaller portions with a few hours in between and he has eaten it all. He drinks a lot of water (sometimes nearly a big bowl full) however, he has been doing this for years and they vet was not concerned last year.

The only other major issue with him is that he will go through periods of bleeding. He will walk around and leak blood, when he lies and stands up there is a blood. He does look uncomfortable when this is happening. However, this happens randomly i.e. it may happen for a few days then it disappears for a weeks. This has been happening for about 2 years now and as it is so random the vet has put it down to age related. He had it last week and it lasted about 4 days but that is the first time this year.

The vet has said that he has arthiritis and the nerves in his back legs are no longer working properly as when he bent his paws he got no reaction. He said he is more concerned about the weight though. He did not give the booster as he said he feels the dog may only have months left. He give him medicam to help with pains and said to see how he goes. He said our dog is close to the end however he is not quite at thats stage yet and it is a hard choice at the moment. He advised however that it would be kinder to let him go while he has quality/dignity and do not leave it until he is too far. We are going back in about 2 weeks to see if the medication has had any effect.

Most people are saying now is the time to let him go however when I see him running around I feel that he isnt ready, then I see him struggling to get up and I then I feel I am being cruel by keeping him here. I have said to the vet once he is up he can run around and play with the younger dog except he will fall over sometimes and needs a good rest after. I still do not feel he is ready to go yet though.

My other dilemma is thinking ahead. Although our holiday is quite a few weeks away, if he is still the same condition as he is now do I risk putting him into kennels for 2 weeks (there is nowhere else he can go) and risk something happening while we are not here or do we give him a few good weeks (hopefully) and consider putting him down before the kennels so that it would happen in his home with me there and we would all have the chance to say goodbye.

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble and a long post! but this is our first dog we have had since puppy and its just a hard decision on when is the right time. I know a lot can change as well in the next few weeks but I cant stop thinking about this.
Page 3
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,726Posts Today

11,332Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Spiderman beat the flash in new Superhero marathon world record.... http://t.co/HRkIdbgw88 via @AthleticsWeekly

• Should you buy Euros now at £1 = ?1.39 in case the election kills the pound? My full analysis.... http://t.co/RVaUgNPrZy

• Trying to find the tweeter who told me their app for a cheaper remortgage was rejected due to failing affordability criteria. Is it u?

• Follow Martin