dilemma with older dog

Options

Comments

• Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Possibly, but an un-neutered dog of his age runs a very high risk of getting cancer, if he hasn't already.

Does it?
    AFAIA the only cancer prevented by castration is Testicular.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Paradigm wrote: »
    Does it?
    AFAIA the only cancer prevented by castration is Testicular.

Also prostate cancer and cancer of the anus (squamous cell carcinoma) can result from not neutering a male dog.

In females, the most obvious risk is pyometra and cancer of the mammary glands.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • elliesmemory1
    elliesmemory1 Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds like it could be prostate cancer, Would have thought vet would have given a proper diagnosis. I could not put a old ill dog in kennels, I would not enjoy my holiday and would not forgive myself it the worst happend while I was away. Mybe thats just me though.
  • debie_2
    debie_2 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Needsomecash, I sent you a PM that might be of some help.

I a horrible situation to be in.

((Huggss))
  • Paradigm
    edited 22 May 2013 at 5:50PM
    Options
    Also prostate cancer and cancer of the anus (squamous cell carcinoma) can result from not neutering a male dog.

99% of the studies I've read over the past few years indicate that castration actually increases the risk of prostate cancer (& other forms)

One such study here http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf which is worth a read.

Also here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17516571

I can't find anything that links cancer of the anus to castration.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    99% of the studies I've read over the past few years indicate that castration actually increases the risk of prostate cancer (& other forms)

One such study here http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf which is worth a read.

Also here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17516571

I can't find anything that links cancer of the anus to castration.

I've unfortunately dealt with several cases. Not as common as testicular cancer, I'll admit, but still a risk nonetheless. There is absolutely NO reason whatsoever not to castrate a dog, unless it happens to be an excellent example of its breed and therefore employed as a stud dog. But they do eventually retire and castrated as soon as they by most responsible breeders.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • Paradigm
    Options
    There is absolutely NO reason whatsoever not to castrate a dog

Independent scientific studies seem to disagree ;)

Knowledge moves on.... I would argue there is no reason to castrate except for serious medical conditions.
  • JIreland
    JIreland Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Independent scientific studies seem to disagree ;)

Knowledge moves on.... I would argue there is no reason to castrate except for serious medical conditions.
    unless the animal is a perfect example of the breed and you are going to breed from the dog, there are no good reasons NOT to castrate surely.

My thoughts are with the OP, when my old pony was poorly and started to go downhill, the vets always said thet it was better to let them go a week too early than a day too late. :cuddle:
  • Paradigm
    edited 24 May 2013 at 7:19PM
    Options
    JIreland wrote: »
    unless the animal is a perfect example of the breed and you are going to breed from the dog, there are no good reasons NOT to castrate surely.
    On the positive side, neutering male dogs.....

eliminates the small risk (probably <1%) of dying from testicular cancer.
    reduces the risk of non-cancerous prostate disorders.
    reduces the risk of perianal fistulas.
    may possibly reduce the risk of diabetes (data inconclusive).

On the negative side, neutering male dogs.......

if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.
    increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6
    triples the risk of hypothyroidism
    increases the risk of progressive geriatric cognitive impairment
    triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems
    quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer
    doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers
    increases the risk of orthopedic disorders
    increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations

The negatives seem to outweigh any positives & if we take away the "unwanted puppies" argument then castration doesn't have a lot in it's favour.

Dog shelters are full because of unscrupulous breeders/puppy farms/un-educated owners & not because the average pet hasn't been "done".
    Castration is a sledgehammer to crack a nut (sorry :o)

I need to know that if I agree to surgery (with all the risks) on my dogs it's because it's necessary & will improve their health. After reading all the studies I can find over the past years on the possible effects of castration, I'm far from convinced it is in the dogs best interests & may likely be causing future health problems.

I'm not saying that castration should be "taboo" as there are some behaviour/medical issues that can respond but to routinely put dogs through the procedure just as a means of "contraception" is way OTT.
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    OP

I know how you feel, have been in almost the same circumstances as you , last May with Rusty.

You are doing the right thing, It would be unfair putting him in kennels when he is so frail, as well as upsetting your other pup too.

Sometimes it is best for both sides to call it a day, any further surgical procedures would be unkind to him. Rusty lost lots of weight, was eating ravenously, actually barking for his food 24/7. He would then throw it up, or have the runs. It was horrible to see. He couldn't get up well, so we decided to have him PTS on the 8th of May last year, which was his 16th Birthday. It was traumatic, he hobbled upstairs , whilst we were getting dressedand had his happy, puppy face on him, thinking he was going for a walk, when he could only manage about 100 yds. It was the hardest day of my life, but looking back at it, it was the best for him. I could see that he was getting upset with the soiling, he was such a clean dog and would only do his business on command.

You are doing the right thing. The house will seem empty, try and remember the happy times. I have his photos all round the house. I couldn't get another dog as I think I would be comparing it to my baby, who was perfect, so we got a Tabby cat 6 weeks ago. Her name is Tibsey, but most of the time she gets called Rusty and she answer to it ! She has brought life back to the house, she is a nuisance, is a food addict ( like Rusty ), she wants to sleep in bed with me ( like Rusty ) and is full of fun. Although I miss him dreadfully, I know we did the right thing, It was his time to go, and I know I will see him again, with his big waggy tale and smiling face.

Take care and my thoughts are with you..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure