Crash Bang Wallop

Options
There was a comment in another thread that when the crash comes, retail investors won't be able to get their money out fast enough. Given that most funds/shares can be sold within 24 hours, I'm guessing the problem will be actually realising that there's a problem, and how long it might last for.

For those that were invested in 2007/08, when did you realise something was up, and what did you do about it? Did anyone just watch their funds drop week by week? Does anyone regret what they did/didn't do based on information they had at the time?

Comments

• Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 May 2013 at 12:52PM
    Options
    ..been in the market since '95, (passive), it tanked in '98, then recovered, tanked again in 2001, then recovered, tanked again 2003, then recovered, then tanked big time in 08/09, then recovered, then tank a bit in 2010, and then recovered...my only regret is not buying more shares when the market neared the bottom. I guess the overall "max / natural" value tends to be around the 6,200 mark. As long as you have sufficient "other" funds / income to live on, then I guess its best to not panic, and just sit it out until it comes "good" again...

As somebody has already pointed out on another thread, the "crashes / reductions" always happen faster than the recovery...
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • MoneySaverLog
    MoneySaverLog Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    Smart people would be buying up the stock, rather than selling at these crashes. At each occasion when this has happened in the past the markets have recovered past the point of the start of a collapse given time.

The problems arise if you're using leverage in which case if you don't use a guaranteed stop loss you could get taken out well below your stop loss and end up owing the broker shed loads of cash if you were on the wrong side of the market.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Selling when the price drops is easy. The problem is knowing when to buy back in. Anyone nervous enough to sell is likely to leave it too late and so be worse off than if they had done nothing.

In my case I did nothing and am now showing a healthy profit. It took about two years to break even. Equity investing is for the long term, a two year blip is irrelevant in my view.
  • jabba42
    jabba42 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    The problem is more so your psychology more than anything else. Most people are stuck like a deer in headlights and watch it keep on tumbling down.

The best thing you can do is draw some trend lines on the FTSE or whatever market you are invested in and sell when it breaks out of the trend.
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    Options
    jabba42 wrote: »
    The best thing you can do is draw some trend lines on the FTSE or whatever market you are invested in and sell when it breaks out of the trend.

you're suggesting all investors should be using a bit of technical analysis? that's very bad advice. i expect it works for a few ppl, but if unless you have a very clear idea of what you're doing, and the right mindset, and enough time to spend on it, you'd be better off completely ignoring TA. not something to dabble in.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    The problem is more so your psychology more than anything else. Most people are stuck like a deer in headlights and watch it keep on tumbling down.

When do you buy back in? What are the chances that when your trend lines do something convincing the price is already higher than when you sold especially after taking costs of selling/buying into consideration?
  • MoneySaverLog
    MoneySaverLog Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options

I'd agree if you're trading, but not when it comes to investing long term.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stubod wrote: »
    I guess the overall "max / natural" value tends to be around the 6,200 mark.

Hard to say. The long term trend is for capital values to rise above inflation, so even if 6200 was right a decade ago, it isn't now, and won't be ten years hence.

I do put more into equities when the market is having bad years/months/days, but much of this is just rebalancing between asset classes. Similarly, I sell off some equities after long bull runs, but this money goes into asset classes and markets that haven't done so well.

Commercial property and private equity are still fairly cheap and unloved, particularly if you buy in areas that are also out of favour, and via ITs that are on discounts.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • jabba42
    jabba42 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    you're suggesting all investors should be using a bit of technical analysis? that's very bad advice. i expect it works for a few ppl, but if unless you have a very clear idea of what you're doing, and the right mindset, and enough time to spend on it, you'd be better off completely ignoring TA. not something to dabble in.

The OP was asking how to get an idea the market is going to tank. I by no means gave a perfect answer but nevertheless it is one metric that you can use to see things are not going to well on the uptrend.

The issue is by the time you have hit the trend line it could already be 100 points down on the S&P 500 for example, you sell and then it goes back up again.

The biggest one day losses on the US indexes on average are 7% ish. Human psychology hates losing so most people hang on, which as the Gym sock above says is probably the best thing you can do over the long term.

But if you are brave enough to sell you might be able to buy your favourite stocks back at a lot lower prices.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 May 2013 at 3:10PM
    Options
    I was in France w/o internet access so heard about it, but could do nothing (twice in fact- a lot of these happen in July/August lol).

But, generally, I don't sell in crashes, I buy. So if I had cash, I would have bought when I got home (and may have). I did a LOT of buying when the markets opened after 9/11.

Apart from some shares I held like lloyds, everything I held went back up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure