🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

My Money/saving adventure!

Options
The_Magnificent_Spoon
The_Magnificent_Spoon Posts: 182 Forumite
edited 6 May 2013 at 10:12AM in How much have you saved?
Hey all,

After reading a few threads of others in other situations and finding them interesting and inspirational, I thought it was about time I started putting down my journey with money's so far. Maybe it will help me focus, maybe others will get something from it, or maybe it will just be something that will keep me busy for a bit when I'm bored!

I'll start with a little of my past. I was very unlucky with my family life up until I was able to be self sufficient. I was born into a family with five siblings, with two parents that never worked, and a severely autistic younger brother. We grew up on a rough council estate, I never had any birthday/christmas presents, ever, and never had any new clothes etc. I was also badly mentally and physically abused as a child by my dad, up until i was 18 When he was convicted and jailed for, to put it bluntly, being a (swear filter wont let me type it, but for doing things with underage girls). Life was hard.

Anyway. After I finished school. I went straight into work. As I was the only one working in my household, most my wages immediately went into paying rent etc for the rest of my family. I eventually after a couple of years saved enough to pass my driving test, got a loan for a car, and it is here my debt issues started.

I moved miles away from home to move in with a girl I had met on holiday. I wasn't aware of her money issues though. Over the next six or so years, she made me rack up debts totalling about £18k. That was almost as much as I earned in a year. As I'm not the most confident person for reasons above, I was a pushover.

We then split. Me on my own, miles away from home, no family, few friends, mountains of debt. Over the next four years I worked my bum off, saved like crazy, and paid it all off the hard but decent way. While I did this, I took up running as a free time sink and ran marathons, earning sponsorship for worthy charities.

Just over 18 months ago, I moved back to near my home area. Debt free, new job. I started saving, with the hope that I would be able to put enough away to put on a house deposit by 2015.

The savings have been going far better than I had hoped. My job gives me lots of opportunity for overtime, and because of the job i do and where I live, I was able to get rid of my car, which is saving me a fortune. I've just had my hours extended a little for some extra income, and with all the overtime I'm on a reasonable, above average wage for the area.

As it stands today, I've saved around £19,000 in 18 months. Which is a little over how much I was in debt just over five years ago. And an amount I never thought I would see. I've already done over £1100 of overtime this month to pass £20k.

My goal is just £25k - to put down on a nice house somewhere quiet. I always told myself that this would be for when I eventually met somebody (the right person this time - I'm not so much of a pushover these days!) to settle down with. But I'm getting on a bit now and this doesn't look likely, so I will probably just bite the bullet as my tenancy runs out in November, 2013.

I'll update with progress when I remember. Hopefully this will help motivate and keep me focused.

Thanks for reading!

S

Comments

• littlemissmay
    Options
    thanks for sharing your story.. i must say that I think that you are very courageous and such a strong person to be able to put the past all down in black and white, but i love where the story leads towards..anyways, good luck with this £25k pledge! I look forward to reading your story :j
  • coolcats
    coolcats Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wish you well in your saving plan. I'm sure you will do it and if you can save so much in 18 months will do it easy by Nov. You are a very strong person to of overcome so much from the past and against all odd from the family background. Well done on the achivments so far and all that is to come. x
  • The_Magnificent_Spoon
    Options
    Thanks all, I've only ever had people try to drag me down my whole life, demoralising and discouraging me from doing anything positive - so staying motivated is a real challenge for me, any encouragement is always very welcome! I have good days and bad, and while I've become good at work with putting the confidence act on, I go home and just like a quiet peaceful life.

I know I've had things pretty rough, but I'm ok, I know there are people who are much worse off so I just like to get on with with things.

But anyway, plans for the next week/end are to catch up on ebaying all the stuff I've had pile up, and also to look into getting a new flatmate. My last one moved out a few months back and the money/company will help a lot.
  • coolcats
    coolcats Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You will have plenty of support on here. Even on the bad days you will be supported. We all have the bad days, just need to start afresh the next day and work on the good ones.

Totally understand the confidence thing, exactly the same, to the world confident, but once that door is shut not so.

Good luck in finding a housemate and ebaying, all will help.
  • gothrockchic1
    gothrockchic1 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Good Luck with your saving. I hope it is a easy and happy journey as you definately deserve happiness and wealth xxx
  • Atlanticus
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story with us and i think you are really a strong person. I am so encouraged from your story & i really appreciate you and wish you good luck for your future . lastly i would say save more money and enjoy your life.

Thank You
    Jack
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Good for you Spoon, you done well.
    Know what you mean with being put down all the time.
    But do take care with sharing your future life with an expensive person, though read you have been bitten once, so twice shy.
  • The_Magnificent_Spoon
    Options
    Thanks all - your comments genuinely mean a lot to me!

Just a quick update. Managed to get started on operation eBay. Got shut of a few things, but then when having a clear out last weekend I found a lot more. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing (they're the type of things that take a fair bit of research/effort to list!). There is plenty to keep me busy for a while.

House mate hunting isn't going as well. I've not really been putting much effort into it but the only person I've spoken to gave me bad vibes, so I went with my instinct and turned them down.

Otherwise, life's going to be busy for the next couple of weeks - I'm away from home doing a couple of weeks of exams and visiting old friends. A lot of it is paid for by employers, but I'll still have to be careful to not overspend! I'm also getting back into shape after a good few months off, so steering clear of the junk hotel food while I'm away will definitely be a challenge!
  • Robin_TBW
    Robin_TBW Posts: 497 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wondering how old are you now, you paint a picture of the past and present well but I've no idea over the time frame this has happened other than stating "getting on a bit" now.

Good to see people can find their way though. Seems you've not had an easy ride and it's good to see you haven't given up.
  • The_Magnificent_Spoon
    Options
    I've just recently turned 32. Although I'm still young for my age (in appearance) which both works for me and against me sometimes!

It gets hard sometimes, but I've learnt to not dwell on the past - there's nothing I can do about what's already happened. I can always change my future though!

Wow, that sounded really cheesy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family