We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Printing costs

Options
50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 26 February 2013 at 1:57PM in Techie Stuff
I have been asked by work to calculate the annual printing costs - we print 2,500 sheets of A4 daily - approx 800 of these are colour
We use HP laserjet printers and a few colour copiers (Ricoh)

What figure should I use per sheet ?
4p per mono print but how much per colour sheet ?

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Without knowing what you pay for your consumables (ink carts, toner, paper), how can anyone say?
    The other cost is the power used.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ianders
    ianders Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    4p per mono sounds a bit high. Are you sure it's not 0.4p per mono?
  • WilliamO
    WilliamO Posts: 385 Forumite
    Options
    the annual printing costs......

Do you mean you have been asked how much the COMBINED TOTAL is for the annual Ink Cartridges, Toners, Paper Reams, Electricity and Secretary Processing The Printouts!! cost?

Or have you been asked how much Each Printout has cost?.....and if so does that cost have to include the Electricity and the Secretary?

And what happens if the secretary needs a Tea Break......with Biscuits!!

WilliamO
  • WilliamO
    Options
    If I were you I would calculate the COMBINED TOTAL (in Pence) and then divide that by the number of printouts to get a Per Printout cost.
    That way you have a cost for both the Combined Total and the Per Printout Total.

WilliamO
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    Can't you go back to the figures from last year, and discover how many reams of paper you've ordered and how many toner cartridges etc and use that as a minimum cost. Then you might want to factor in electricity, cost of person operating the equipment, cost of any repair/service agreement on the equipment, depreciation.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Done it
    Total printers and photocopiers - £250 per DAY !!
    Thats working on approx 850,000 A4 pages per annum - 80% mono, 20% colour !!
  • neilwoods
    neilwoods Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    Options
    Then get rid of the inket printers and invest in high volume laser printer.

Also that cost of 1p per sheet is very unlikely, unless you printing the same work every single day, as cost is also calculated of ink coverage.
    Mansion TV. Avoid at all cost's :j
  • WilliamO
    Options
    Let's do the sums shall we :D

850,000 A4 Sheets per year divided by 365 Days in that year (for the sticklers of Leap Year!) equates to 2328.76712329. Rounded down and in plain English that 2,328 A4 Sheets per day.

Now you did say you do approximately 2,500 per day.....

With Cigarette Breaks, Tea Breaks, Electricity, the odd Printer Break (cooling down period / not in use period), a quick check over the paperwork (god I've made a bloody spelling mistake....REPRINT!!!!)..........I don't think you will make 1p per printout.....why? Because each sheet costs 2p :rotfl:

WilliamO
  • 50Twuncle
    edited 20 February 2013 at 6:08PM
    Options
    neilwoods wrote: »
    Then get rid of the inket printers and invest in high volume laser printer.

Also that cost of 1p per sheet is very unlikely, unless you printing the same work every single day, as cost is also calculated of ink coverage.

This is using HP/Canon /Ricoh and similar laser printers and copiers (not inkjet! !)
    And 4p mono/10p colour for printers
    0.4p/1p for copiers (tbey are on a special contract)
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    WilliamO wrote: »
    Let's do the sums shall we :D

850,000 A4 Sheets per year divided by 365 Days in that year (for the sticklers of Leap Year!) equates to 2328.76712329. Rounded down and in plain English that 2,328 A4 Sheets per day.

Now you did say you do approximately 2,500 per day.....

With Cigarette Breaks, Tea Breaks, Electricity, the odd Printer Break (cooling down period / not in use period), a quick check over the paperwork (god I've made a bloody spelling mistake....REPRINT!!!!)..........I don't think you will make 1p per printout.....why? Because each sheet costs 2p :rotfl:

WilliamO

195 days. ..its a school! !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills