Sat 5th/Sun 6th January - What small DFW things will you do today?

Options
josiebabie
josiebabie Posts: 1,224 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 5 January 2013 at 7:38AM in Debt-free wannabe
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending. :D

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important. :money:

Morning all!

Thought I'd start us off as I'm working today so I'm up and at 'em!

This is me:
- Check banking
- Work 8-2pm, earn £93 over time
- B/L/D from stores
- Steak out of freezer for dinner
- Trip to Aldi this afternoon to stock up - stick to list!!!
- HM bread for toast this morning, first use of DM's bread maker was rather successful!
- NSD aside from groceries
- Stay in tonight
- Submit purge sales for commission payment (about £20 this week)
- Update running total for January's wage packet
- Ponder the question of another job...

Have a good day one and all

Jx
Nothing to report as yet...give me a minute...!

Comments

• 2013newbie
    Options
    Morning
    I am planning a low key weekend.
    B/L/D from stores both days
    Got 2 people picking up sales fro my local selling page on fb
    Only item i need to buy is pull ups so im going to check my advantage card points and hopefully get them for free
    Planning to list a couple of items for sale which if they sell should bring in around £50
    Keeping the heating to a minimum, i keep putting the extra hour button on so i want to stop that.

Have a nice weekend all.
  • katy_ann
    katy_ann Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all :) Thanks for starting us josiebabie! Today I will be;

- Check online banking
    - Pay some change into my bank account
    - Have a NSD
    - B/D from stores and going to my mums for lunch
    - Check ebay and find more bits to list

Think thats about it! Have a lovely weekend all! x
    Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 January 2013 at 10:48AM
    Options
    Morning all. :wave:

Today I shall:

:cheesy: Go to Wilkinson to buy a mushroom growing kit.

:cheesy: Pump up car tyres.

:cheesy: OnePoll.

:cheesy: Read the papers online.

:cheesy: Read the Guardian money online. (Link)

:cheesy: Read up on credit unions. (Link)

:cheesy: Check Nectar Points.

:cheesy: Find a way to repair shoes (again) so they last til PayDay.. Glue won't work. Need a nail I think.

:cheesy: Price-checked Tesco Shop. (Link) Got 87p back last week.

:question: Is your driving license in date? A survey by LV suggests 1 in 12 licenses are out of date. Photocard Driving Licenses are valid for just ten years. The DVLA do not notify all drivers when their license is due to expire! You can be fined up to £1000 for having an out of date license and driving without one invalidates your car insurance. You can also have points added to your license for this. Look on your card where it says 4b to see when your license expires. Visit the DVLA site for renewals. (Link)
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • stitching_witch
    Options
    Morning all and thanks for starting the thread today Jo.
    It's another Grandma Day today as DD is doing overtime until 2pm so here are my bits for today:
    • Popped into Mr T's and just bought the two things I went in for
    • DGD and I are going to make a cake with ingredients in the larder
    • Drink DD's tea and coffee :D
    • Stop off at work on the way home to clean so not an extra trip tomorrow - and an extra £21.25 in my pocket
    • Batch cook savoury mince base and freeze ten portions
    I got a £30 Waitrose/John Lewis voucher from work last night so I'll have to think carefully about what I want to spend it on. We usually get it before Christmas and I use it to buy reduced food at the last minute.

Right, must crack on....
    Stitchy x
    Making magic with fabric
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • DebtDaemon
    Options
    Morning everybody :D

Plans for this weekend are;

- meal plan for the rest of the week, hopefully the only things I need to buy are eggs and salad
    - find and bank my car tax refund
    - cancel my magazine subscription
    - begin to sort through my stuff, start binning/recycling so that I have enough space to photograph, store and pack the rest which will go on eBay
    - smuggle in food to the cinema (what a rebel ;) )... Now the ticket itself isn't DFW but this was a prearranged trip
    - look at the cineworld unlimited card, see if it's justifiable as my treat/hobby?
  • Karb
    Karb Posts: 853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone. Went out for a curry last night with a friend which wasn't exactly MSE, but we'd cancelled going out over Christmas due to my illness, and then when I bumped into her at the station and our trains home were suspended due to trespassers on the line, we decided to go for food rather than just hang around. I did at least keep off the alcohol, and stayed on soft drinks.

Rubbish nights sleep last night. Ended up getting up again at 2 as I hadn't slept a wink. Took all the xmas decs down, did some cleaning, then watched tv for a while, before eventually going back to bed around 5.

Got a glazier coming round this afternoon to replace a broken window in the kitchen. I've been putting off getting it done for ages. I'll ask if he's any good with locks while he's here, and see if he can help with the stuck conservatory door.

Today I have/will
    • Have a LSD, need a couple of cleaning materials, and the shop I go to isn't open in the evenings when I get home from work, so I can only go there on a Saturday
    • Walk to shops, and take own carrier bags
    • Check online banking
    • Update sig
    • Put all the decs back in the loft (they are currently cluttering up the front room as the entrance to the loft is right outside DS's bedroom and I didn't want to wake him up too
    • Washing drying on line
    • Haven't put the heating on this morning as its relatively mild today
    • Clean the house
    Have a great day everyone.
    Debt free since December 2015. It can be done

• determined_new_ms
    Options
    Morning guys thanks for starting us off Jose good luck with the work ponder!

My things for today:

*Carpenter here as I type cutting up our work top
    * all meals from stores
    * do some finances (I looked up the os diary in the email. Makes total sense and am going to start today. With our snoozing account I am saving our house renovation, stoozing funds and also each month I put the money for the cc)
    * check banking
    * quick shower and intensive condition of hair
    * spending afternoon with BFF so think we will go into town to the new museum
    * go for a drink with oh tonight at the local
    * washing, washing, washing!

Ok think that's my lot! Have a lovely day y'all xxx
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Ally sorry to be a pain but can u give me the link for the passport photos again? I need to redo my driving licence!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Morning all :) thanks to Josie for starting us off.

Plans for today:

• Thermals on ... heating off
    • B / L / D from stores - don't need anything from shops!
    • Sort cats & tidy up
    • Check banking & shuffle if needed Done & OK
    • Update spreadsheets
    • Walk dog x 2 1 done - will go to beach later
    • Go to PO to return boots that don't fit properly (really want to keep them but I know I'll not wear them as they don't fit properly ...) done & won't be buying from them again! T&Cs meant I had to send by RM & was hideously expensive:mad:
    • Write, print & post letter to cancel breakdown cover new at renewal (to me) car has 5 years cover:T done
    • Work on household journal in progress!
    • Work on list of "bog standard" meals to help with meal planning in progress!

Have a good day everyone:)

Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Asiacat
    Asiacat Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    Evening (As it is here from Thailand)

So far

Taught English for 3 hours (received 400 baht)

Had my scooter serviced (200 baht) - another 3000km of trouble free motoring.)

Sold 4 books to a second hand bookshop in town.

Picked up a 600 baht loan repayment.

Bought the daily special from Subway.

Tonight.

Prepare my English classes for tomorrow (I'm teaching 3 2 hour classes)

Nurse one beer for the whole of the FA cup 3rd round matches shown live in the bars in town.

All in all a pretty mundane but cheap day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure