Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    kittiej
    Ja-NEW-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread
    • 29th Dec 12, 10:25 AM
    Ja-NEW-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread 29th Dec 12 at 10:25 AM
    Hi Everyone

I did a search but couldn't find a take your lunch to work thread like there used to be so I hope no-one minds me starting it up again.

I really need to start saving some money and because I don't have the opportunity to do overtime the easiest way for me to earn money is to make some cutbacks.

I currently spend 2 per day in the canteen at work which isn't a vast amount but I could halve it if I make my own. Working 4 days a week would see me save 188 per year which over my five year plan will save me about 1000 and every little counts.

I have a restricted diet in that I won't be eating meat/fish so cheese is my best friend .

So if you want to join then please feel free to post up how much you currently spend, how much you want to save ie declare how many lunches you will not be buying, and most importantly of all what you will be making to take to work! I would love to hear about any strange but tasty lunch ideas

Everyone is welcome even if you only work 1 day a week or stay at home but would like to join. So, the doors are now open......

Recipe ideas for sandwich fillings and lunches

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=159329

http://pinterest.com/lbnblbnb/food-lunch-ideas/

Now everyone say a big thank you to Shortie for compiling this list of ideas for us.

Thanks Shortie

*Cold foods*
    Sandwich combos:
    Stuffing
    Tuna mayo/salad cream
    Tuna and sweetcorn
    Tuna and onion
    Tuna and cucumber
    Beetroot
    Cheese & carmelised onion chutney
    Cheese and chilli jam
    grated cheese, mushed up egg, diced onion and mixed in with mayo
    Peanut butter & marmite
    Greek salad - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...3&postcount=38
    Russian salad sandwich - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...3&postcount=38
    Curry!
    Bacon & banana
    Cheese & pickle
    Corned beef & lettuce
    Ham & apple sauce
    Coronation chicken
    Fried egg baguette
    Sausage & mustard / ketchup / mayo / pickle / onion relish
    Scrambled egg (cooked in the microwave)
    Chhese & piccalilli
    Brie & grape
    Cheese & tomato
    Ham and coleslaw
    Onion Baji & coleslaw wrap
    Chicken and cranberry sauce
    Chicken & bacon
    Haslet and coleslaw
    Peanutbutter, cream cheese & banana
    Turkey/chicken & stuffing
    Crisp butti
    Chicken with pesto and mayo
    Brie, crushed walnuts, feta &rocket wrap
    Chorizo & goats cheese
    Vegetarian pate http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/02/28/red-lentil-pate/

Adding the following to salads:
    Hard boiled egg in salad
    Carrot salad: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...&postcount=110
    Cold duck and spinnach, raddish, pepper & carrot
    Cheese, ham & whatever salad is in the fridge
    Chicken and cold bacon bits
    Spice sensation cous cous with raisins, pumpkin seeds. little cubes of cheese (feta or cheddar) cheery toms halved,cuc, spring onions and a couple of dried apricots chopped up
    Bulk making salads: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...&postcount=358

Rice cakes & hummus
    Crackers / carrot sticks / pitta bread & taramaslata (or dip of choice)
    Crustless quiche (good for GF diets) - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...3&postcount=38
    Spanish potato fritata
    Cous cous

*Warm foods*
    Soups (with some bread?):
    Jamie Oliver's Parsnip and Ginger Soup
    Jamie Oliver's carrot soup: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...5&postcount=50
    Mushroom risotto soup: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...1&postcount=64
    Liquidised curry
    Pasta
    Macaroni cheese
    Leftovers... pasta bakes, curry, spag bol, chilli..
    Falafel
    Onion bhajis
    Samosas
    Jacket potatoes
    Cous cous (take dried and rehydrate from a kettle at work, add some fillings - meat, vegs, cheese, etc - once warm and hydrated)
    Mash, veg, gravy and meat in a tuppawear box
    Spaghetti/beans on toast or with butter bread
    Falafel & chilli dip

*Snacks*
    Cake
    Fruit
    Crisps (multibags can be better value)
    Hot choc
    Sausage rolls
    Juice cartons
    Cereal bars
    Fruit salads (mix with a spoon or two of juice from tinned fruit to keep it from turning brown)
    Biscuits
    Mince Pies (especially for Betty Crumble)

*Emergency stocks for a drawer*
    Cereal
    Porridge oats
    Tinned macaroni cheese
    Mug Shot pasta packs
    Cup-a-Soup

*Other suggestions*
    Thermos flash of tea or coffee
    freeze sandwiches for the week or buy/make pasties, sausage rolls, and take them out in the morning.
    Hard boiled eggs keep for a week in the fridge with the shells on
    Wraps instead of sliced bread

*.... and sneaking in here.... Breakfasts!*
    Greek yoghurt and granola on top of fruit salad
    Toast wrapped in foil asap after cooking - should keep warm for a 10 min journey to the train station etc!)
    Scrambled egg (cooked in the microwave) and toast

Savings for the month:

kittiej 17
    homelovin 55
    vics199 15
    laura16 46
    candlewick 45
    skipsmum 93
    killerpeaty 11 for the week
    Fluffpuff 20
    peter5348 60
    km1977 20
    Sunshine22 85
    Dee-Dee 74
    hotspur-pam 15 per week
    mineallmine 50
    clairey em 40
    Ihatethemoneypit 50
    Florida 2013 46 a week!
    WelshWoofer 20
    Shortie 95
    Skippycat 40
    loubylou2 75
    kobrakai 90
    Fruittea 50
    Twiggy_34 32
    AFK_Matrix 60
    Trim My Budget 20
    juno 40
    helejenkins1 650 for the year
    Last edited by kittiej; 16-01-2013 at 9:46 AM.
    Sealed pot challenge member number 18
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
    "It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
    1 debt v 100 days 2000
Page 1
    • homelovin
    • By homelovin 29th Dec 12, 10:41 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    homelovin
    • 29th Dec 12, 10:41 AM
    • 29th Dec 12, 10:41 AM
    Great idea, I often start taking lunch in then get lazy. I too spend 2 - 2.50 a day. Plus I want to eat healthier so this can be incorperated.
    I am going to aim for every working day in January, that's 22 working days, because I'm going to be very short of money as always in Jan. Starting Wednesday 2nd. That would save me 44.00 to 55.00 pounds ! wow!
    Last edited by homelovin; 29-12-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: wrong date
    • vics199
    • By vics199 29th Dec 12, 10:46 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    vics199
    • 29th Dec 12, 10:46 AM
    • 29th Dec 12, 10:46 AM
    I will aim for no buying lunch at all in January as well. I have really cut down already but this is a good way of making sure I don't slip up!

Also starting weight watchers again (bought the books off of ebay yesterday so no paying subscription fees) so I am going to make up a batch of homemade soup for next weeks lunches. I have lots of parsnips from my garden in the freezer so I shall be making Jamie Oliver's Parsnip and Ginger Soup. Also bought some bread in the reduced to clear section so will put one slice of that with it and a weight watchers yogurt.

I'm not sure how much I will be saving but I would say roughly 15 a month, which is almost 1% on the 1% challenge!
  • kittiej
    • 29th Dec 12, 10:53 AM
    • 29th Dec 12, 10:53 AM
    Welcome homelovin and vics199

The soup sounds lush vic and potential savings for us all can only be a good thing.

Right, just had a look at my calendar and I have 17 working days in January so I should save 17 - need to keep focussed!

I don't know what I shall be taking yet so that's tbc, I love stuffing sandwiches and cheese and tomato so it could be either of these.

Well done guys I'll alter my original post to reflect your aims.
    1 debt v 100 days 2000
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 29th Dec 12, 11:07 AM
    • 3,484 Posts
    • 11,289 Thanks
    Tiglath
    • 29th Dec 12, 11:07 AM
    • 29th Dec 12, 11:07 AM
    I'm in. I'm not back in work until the 14th, so 14 work days till the end of January, and I'm aiming to take lunch in for all of those. I used to regularly blow 5-6/day, so that's a conservative 1200/year over 47 weeks. Fortunately I never got into the Starbucks/Costa habit; we have decent free coffee provided. I get certain free food at work so mainly I look at things to go with toast like beans, scrambled eggs, cheese, pate (62p from Mr T and lasts me 3 days), soup. Add in free fruit and a slice of cake from the freezer and I'm sorted. I've got a Dundee cake to freeze in slices and will be making a couple of lemon drizzle cakes to freeze as well.
    "Those are synapses, electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light, is you the thing that makes you unique and human." ~ Dr. Jenner, The Walking Dead
  • kittiej
    • 29th Dec 12, 11:12 AM
    • 29th Dec 12, 11:12 AM
    Welcome Tiglath and all I can say is caaaake! I'm drooling at the very thought lol.

Do you want me to put you on the list for January? If so how much do you want me to put?
    1 debt v 100 days 2000
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 29th Dec 12, 11:15 AM
    • 3,484 Posts
    • 11,289 Thanks
    Tiglath
    • 29th Dec 12, 11:15 AM
    • 29th Dec 12, 11:15 AM
    No, don't worry - I won't be logging amounts saved as I'm already in the January Grocery Challenge, but I'll certainly keep up with this thread for ideas and keeping on track
    "Those are synapses, electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light, is you the thing that makes you unique and human." ~ Dr. Jenner, The Walking Dead
  • kittiej
    • 29th Dec 12, 11:17 AM
    • 29th Dec 12, 11:17 AM
    That's fine and you can bring your cake to this thread any time you likey
    1 debt v 100 days 2000
  • laura16
    • 29th Dec 12, 11:36 AM
    • 29th Dec 12, 11:36 AM
    I'd like to join as this is my worse thing for spending on. I do get dinner provided some days at work when we go out but we get 5 to spend and if your in a pub or cafe it's easy to go over so I'm planning on not spending anything on lunch in January, so that's 23 days at 2 per day so I should save 46
    Sealed pot challenge 1875
    • moomin master
    • By moomin master 29th Dec 12, 11:37 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    moomin master
    Been back in work since boxing day. Only spent 1.50. Usually it is 3.29 a day. Cheese sarnies everyday. So saved over 13. Still got all my 60.
  • kittiej
    Welcome laura16, it's amazing how much money can be frittered away at lunchtime and welcome moomin master, cheese is good lol and well done on only spending 1.50.

This challenge begins on 1st Jan so would you like me to add you to the list moomin and if so how much? Otherwise you are welcome to contribute to the thread especially if you want to talk cheesy
    Last edited by kittiej; 29-12-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    1 debt v 100 days 2000
    • getting-there-slowly
    • By getting-there-slowly 29th Dec 12, 11:57 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 2,665 Thanks
    getting-there-slowly
    I do a pack up lunch most days for work - Fridays being the exception, so money saving is not so important for me. On the other hand stealing sharing lunch box ideas is as I am finding inspiration lacking especially when trying to stick to a grocery bugdet (v. bad at it!)
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries: February stash 74/0Ins/2UU/0TA
  • kittiej
    Hi gts, if you go to the Old-style board there are ideas for packed lunches - I don't know if you've seen?

You are certainly welcome to share sandwich and lunch other successes
    1 debt v 100 days 2000
  • Candlewick
    Hello kittiej

I am a long time lurker and have registered to join this challenge if I may?

I start the week off well but by Wednesday / Thursday I go off the rails and end up buying lunch which is anything from 3 - 5 per day and I begrudge paying it.

Part of my problem is boredom. I am fed up with egg or cheese sandwiches, pasta and vegetable soup. I gave up eating meat (not fish) a few months ago and I've struggled to come up with new ideas so consequently end up not bothering and then going to buy a sandwich (the ones that I am bored of lol!) and could have made myself!!

I will be working 17 days in January (not back until 8th and 1 day off later in the month) so will try for 15 please.

Thanks for reading.

CW
  • skipsmum
    I've got 17 working days, some of which the canteen is shut and I end up buying carp out of the vending machine

I did well taking my own food in November but last month it just tailed off, so I am aiming to take lunch and a flask of tea on all 17 days. Saving 2.50 on soup and roll, and about 3 a day on tea.
    so 5.50x17 is......93.....blimey!
    With Sparkles! And Shiny Things!

• kittiej
    Hi candlewick, you made me laugh about not wanting to make the same-old sarnies yet go out and buy them lol. I'll put you down to save 45 as I expect some outlay for ingredients unless you have plenty in already?

Hi to you skipsmum, wow 93 is loads just imagine what other good use you could put that to! Maybe you should get a food flask as well if you like soup?

Ok so candlewick is honest about going off the rails by Wednesday so we will have to have a big injection of inspirational posting on Tuesday evening onwards to keep on track and also I am guessing mid-month when people start to fall off the wagon.
    1 debt v 100 days 2000
  • Candlewick
    Thanks kittiej

I will have to buy some ingredients, the usual cheese and eggs (will have run out before I go back to work) although I have a few tins of tuna in the cupboard so will use those up.

My additional difficulty is that I am not keen on pulses, cous cous or cold rice so my choices are (or at least seem to me) to be very limited and why I get so easily bored.

CW
  • kittiej
    Stuffing is nice not that I have an addiction or anything, honest

you could have tuna mayo /salad cream, tuna and s/corn, tuna and onion, tuna and cucmber (just trying to think of the sandwiches they do in work) and all can be eaked out with breadcrumbs but it depends on how MSE you want to be.

Quite a nice filling if anyone has tomatoes, cucumber and onions to use up is a mixture of small chopped q's, toms and onion, a couple of boiled eggs cut as though making egg mayo, and grated cheese mixed with salad cream. I can't remember the exact quantities but play with it until you get it to your own taste. This is great for sarnies and toasted sandwiches done under the grill too.
    Last edited by kittiej; 29-12-2012 at 1:08 PM.
    1 debt v 100 days 2000
  • kittiej
    Just been having a shufty around and found this http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=464741#post464741

I am now craving a beetroot sarnie and is there any in this house of mine - no there isn't!
    1 debt v 100 days 2000
    • killerpeaty
    • By killerpeaty 29th Dec 12, 2:15 PM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 4,852 Thanks
    killerpeaty
    I'd love to cut down my lunch time spend. I've only been working a month and the amount of money I spent in that time is eye watering!

I've spent about 2-3 each day and occasionally 10 on a company pub lunch (which I'm not willing to give up because it's just a really nice tradition that I don't want to spoil) which is about once a month I believe. So, could I please join but cut my spend down to 4 a week excluding the pub lunch?
    Thanks Kittie : )
    Aims for 2015: Complete up to AAT level 4, save 7k and just be better!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,131Posts Today

8,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin