MBNA Claim Upheld Now What

Options
My wife had her claim for miss sold PPI upheld by the FOS last June.

The FOS initially gave them until August to respond, nothing.

They then gave them until September still nothing.

The last "deadline" was today still nothing. Just gotten off the phone with the FOS and they say that they will chase them up.

They seem reluctant to say when they consider that enough is enough and commence some kind of enforcement.

Are there others in the same position ?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They seem reluctant to say when they consider that enough is enough and commence some kind of enforcement.
    What kind of "enforcement" are you suggesting?
  • simon_the_poet
    Options
    According to the FOS they have statutory powers to enforce their decisions, although they are reluctant to tell (me at least) when the are willing to deploy them, are you suggesting that they are toothless, and the creditors can just ignore their decisions?

If so what is the point in using them in the first place.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    are you suggesting that they are toothless, and the creditors can just ignore their decisions?
    Not at all, but the banks just take their own sweet time to pay up and I doubt FOS will hasten them.
  • simon_the_poet
    Options
    Not at all, but the banks just take their own sweet time to pay up and I doubt FOS will hasten them.

Why do they issue deadlines in that case ?

How long will they allow for compliance, six months, a year, ten years, never.

It seems to me that if what you are saying is true, it makes no difference in real terms what the FOS decides.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It seems to me that if what you are saying is true, it makes no difference in real terms what the FOS decides.
    Nonsense, if FOS doesn't uphold the Bank need do nothing.
    If FOS orders payment the the Bank has to pay (eventually).
  • simon_the_poet
    Options
    Nonsense, if FOS doesn't uphold the Bank need do nothing.
    If FOS orders payment the the Bank has to pay (eventually).

What exactly is the difference between not paying up, and paying up at some undetermined point in the future ?

I have now had another ignored"deadline" by the FOS, you seem to think this is acceptable, I do not.

It seems to be endemic with MBNA, from what I have read elsewhere.

Personally I am not willing to await their whim as to when they will refund my money.
  • jay-1
    jay-1 Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't believe you have had to wait so long - would emailing the CEO of the bank help?
  • simon_the_poet
    Options
    jay-1 wrote: »
    I can't believe you have had to wait so long - would emailing the CEO of the bank help?

No I have not tried that, thanks Iwill.

I have contacted MBNA on four occasions, three of which they took my number and promised to call me and didn't, and on the last occasion they referred me to the FOS.
  • jay-1
    jay-1 Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    From what I have gathered once your complaint goes to the FOS the bank do not have to deal you as it is then up to the FOS.

Your complaint now is not about mis sold PPI but the banks failure to comply with the FOS ruling.

Worth a try anyway.
  • Caz_the_cat
    Options
    As a newbie to the site this was the topic that really grabbed me as I am in exactly the same situation. MBNA/Virgin CC missold PPI (I am self employed so didn't need/want it). They initially turned down my complaint so I took it to FOS. Last month they upheld my complaint and advised that MBNA/Virgin have until 10December to reply/offer. As yet nothing. So what do I/we do now - are the FOS a shark with no teeth? Any advice on what to do next.
    Thanks one and all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport