IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
December Debt Destruction!!!
Views: 31,446
# 21
tomandjerry
Old 28-11-2012, 12:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

WOW!!!! What a challenge! / (at the same time)
Some of it I have been doing on/off for years...spending diary, money tin...there must be more I am sure...
Not doing secret santa this year (decided today at work)...not need any toiletries in the month of December (or much longer)...can do homeless people any time, it just tickled me(wanting to do this for a very long time out of feeling very lucky to have a roof over my head/food/work/?money/smile and warm heart to make these people a bit special and also noticed), so a good one KAT . I think I can do all of those bullet points, better print them out so I won't forget.
I want to start baking (mainly bread as I can only eat gluten free stuff), but I have no baking tins or other baking equipment. I need to buy them on my SD and budget for it first. Not sure if the home made bread works out cheeper than the one from any supermarket. Any idea/experience on this one anybody?
No Xmas presents this year, my family is a sensible one and I won't see them until after Xmas/New year anyway. If I go shopping I have the vouchers/gift cards to spend so it should not break my account.
So Kat, count me in.
NSD Nov 20/20 Dec 13/20 March 12/15 Apr 8/20
DMP started 2/2007
DMP Mutual support #136
DFD July 2013 May 2024 Oct 2017 Feb 2017 still hoping to be sooner
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tomandjerry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
Sholly
Old 28-11-2012, 12:23 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Sign me up!

I'm here and ready to rumble!!

Pretty please can I have a number?

Sholly x
DFW and MFW
Debt free target: August 2016
22 months to go
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sholly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
Toomuchdebt
Old 28-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via Skype™ to Toomuchdebt

I was going to join in with this to give myself a good kick up the butt,however we just moved house, are still in the process of moving furniture etc,have no idea what the diesel will be like as we moved across town,have 6 kids and various appointments, work evenings so no way am I walking in the dark and not even started on any shopping as first I have my Mum's birthday(Dec 1st) and also my daughter's (Dec 19th).I only buy for the kids and my sister and my parents so can't cut any of those out unless I want to upset/offend them. Sigh. I'll be following the thread with interest though and will try to follow some of the rules unofficially.Good luck all of you.
Debts Jan 2014 11,108.34
Debt Oct 2014 8574.22
DFD-May 2018

DEBTFREEBYXMAS2014 #165 2584.12/4000
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Toomuchdebt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
tomandjerry
Old 28-11-2012, 12:38 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hello Toomuchdebt ,

You can always join in later once you have settled in your new house/area and know the prices and routine. Doing any of those challenges give you more control of your spending and also you are more aware of where the money goes. So good luck to you too with all of that+the house/furniture move .
t&j
NSD Nov 20/20 Dec 13/20 March 12/15 Apr 8/20
DMP started 2/2007
DMP Mutual support #136
DFD July 2013 May 2024 Oct 2017 Feb 2017 still hoping to be sooner
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tomandjerry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
NinjaSavingKat
Old 28-11-2012, 5:39 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

TooMuchDebt.. You just need to over-budget for a few things? Anything left over is a win for you! I'm just "suggesting" walking instead of petrol usage..I'm sure I said 'where possible'.. The food budget can be what you want it to be? What other excuses have you got?

This is hard to accommodate for everyone Rising! If you use a walking stick clearly the walking part won't include you.. We're to use our common sense to a degree. It's aiming at people ( like an acquaintance of mine ) who takes the car to the shop that's less than 5 minutes from her house?? That's not normal!!

It's difficult to co-ordinate a challenge of this magnitude for everyone... Should I tell people to omit three-four they can't manage?? Maybe that's the way forward..
Travel Savings Fund ; £10200 CASH (£4750 SPENT) / £12000

I am too positive to be to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful and too determined to be defeated.

Last edited by NinjaSavingKat; 28-11-2012 at 10:38 AM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to NinjaSavingKat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
gelmc
Old 28-11-2012, 6:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Count me in too NK. I need this to keep me away on the sales and buying random crap!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gelmc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
JAMIEDODGER
Old 28-11-2012, 6:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to JAMIEDODGER

I'd like to sign up for December too please x
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JAMIEDODGER For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
couldsavemore
Old 28-11-2012, 7:06 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile

please count me in . i want to clear my debts by the end of 2013 and this would get me of to a good start. i do get carried away during december with my spending so you will help me to keep control.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to couldsavemore For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
AlTeREgO
Old 28-11-2012, 7:53 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Another great challenge ~ Good luck to everyone signing up

Looking at the link for the Money tins, the tin for reciepts - 'reciepts for money i used to have' made me giggle

Its already been pointed out you can buy these at £land, B&M ect, but you could also make your own sealed pot by gaffa taping a pringles pot, celebrations tin or whatever pot, so its sealed, and then decorate the tin as you wish and the money you save by doing this can be the first to hit the bottom of the pot
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to AlTeREgO For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
WantToBeSE
Old 28-11-2012, 8:02 AM

Yay, DDD is here!!!
Put me down please Kat
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WantToBeSE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
determined new ms
Old 28-11-2012, 8:07 AM

I think I'd like to join - eek its frightening!!!! Will print off the list and review at lunchtime. I kept dipping in and out of the NOvember thread thinking it was complete madness but here you guys are! 20 NSDs seems much more manageable!

We have just moved and are in the process of renovating our kitchen - will need to be more organised! What I find is I'm constatly thinking on a "what do I need for today and tomorrow" basis and need to take a month long view!

anyway ramblings
VSP- £165.34
Save £12K in 2014 £2377.2.65/£7000

Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £300/£5000[/CENTER]
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to determined new ms For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
Toomuchdebt
Old 28-11-2012, 8:13 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via Skype™ to Toomuchdebt

Ooh overbudgeting-that's a good idea.I didn't think of that...let me read the rules again and see if I think I can do it.
Debts Jan 2014 11,108.34
Debt Oct 2014 8574.22
DFD-May 2018

DEBTFREEBYXMAS2014 #165 2584.12/4000
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toomuchdebt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
NinjaSavingKat
Old 28-11-2012, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomuchdebt View Post
Ooh overbudgeting-that's a good idea.I didn't think of that...let me read the rules again and see if I think I can do it.
Join join join join join join
Travel Savings Fund ; £10200 CASH (£4750 SPENT) / £12000

I am too positive to be to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful and too determined to be defeated.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NinjaSavingKat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
Sunflower27
Old 28-11-2012, 8:39 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I would like to join please
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sunflower27 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
rising from the ashes
Old 28-11-2012, 8:59 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomuchdebt View Post
Surely over-budgeting in both budget spends and planned days would defeat the object of the challenge?

Say your grocery bill is usually £200 then, according to the rules, it should reduce to £170 but ... if you over budget it to £230 & reduce to £200 .... then you've technically met the rules of the challenge but you've not actually achieved any reduction......

What would be the point in doing the challenge!
Starting again - back on the frugal MSE journey
Groceries & Toiletries: Annual £2080
CCP claim success!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
thriftylass
Old 28-11-2012, 9:13 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rising from the ashes View Post
Surely over-budgeting in both budget spends and planned days would defeat the object of the challenge?

Say your grocery bill is usually £200 then, according to the rules, it should reduce to £170 but ... if you over budget it to £230 & reduce to £200 .... then you've technically met the rules of the challenge but you've not actually achieved any reduction......

What would be the point in doing the challenge!
The point of doing the challenge is to have a budget as to having none at all and thinking about where money goes and taking note rather than just spending blindly. If this is not for you don't take part, simples. As Kat said you have to make allowances for personal circumstances, Kat is no Dictator. Some rules don't apply to everybody. I can't cut out 5 people for christmas as I only buy (bought) for three and the rest get HM stuff that I already have in the house. Etc etc etc
Nov batten down the hatches no 14
SFD 0/20 GC 0/180 HH 0/80 Wedding debt 2500 2080 CC 504 451 DFD Dec '15

Last edited by thriftylass; 28-11-2012 at 9:16 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thriftylass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
rising from the ashes
Old 28-11-2012, 9:29 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylass View Post
As Kat said you have to make allowances for personal circumstances, Kat is no Dictator. Some rules don't apply to everybody.
That was my reason for originally saying that I couldn't unfortunately meet some of them ......

As had already been asked by that point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determined diva View Post
Are you executing us to comply with all the bullet points ( I know that's impossible for me!) or pick 3 of them say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSavingKat View Post
Please tell me you are joking?
Yes all please...
From the above - it certainly doesn't appear that some are optional!
Starting again - back on the frugal MSE journey
Groceries & Toiletries: Annual £2080
CCP claim success!

Last edited by rising from the ashes; 28-11-2012 at 10:00 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
PurpleJay
Old 28-11-2012, 9:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi All.

I would love to join in please and have been following the November thread with interest. I will work out my budgets and pop back and introduce myself properly later as I have to dash off to work now.

Have a great day x
'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
it's about learning to dance in the rain'
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PurpleJay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
thriftylass
Old 28-11-2012, 9:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry long post, but here's my plan. NSK let me know if I need to tweak sth. Cheers

• Minimum 20 NSD. Please pledge this on the NSD board, do not do this on this thread. WILL DO
• 6 X 20 MINUTE SESSION OF EXERCISE A WEEK. NO PROBLEM
• Food budget must decided upon before the commencement of this challenge then slashed by £30. I am assuming you have started Christmas food shopping and won’t need too much more – yes? Not Really started yet as that wasn’t possible in NOvember but I’ll keep my food budget from last month and will make do with that including Christmas food (and I have to feed FIL, parents, BF and DS for a week around christmas). Plan on £220 again but trying to remain £30 under
• “Spend” Money for anything else needs to be pre-agreed prior to the commencement of DDD. This includes last minute gifts, parties, food that’s to be taken to any party, and alcoholic drinks. £150 as I have 5 outings (lunch, dinner) that I can’t get out of and need a few stocking fillers. Trying to stay well under that though.
• No foods are to be purchased at work canteens / cafes etc. Ok
• All money needed for the month for food or spends is to be withdrawn and placed in envelopes clearly marked for purpose. Will have to be virtual envelopes as I can’t withdraw that much or done weekly
• 3 Wildcard Days are allowed. 10 spend days should be fine
• On one of your NSD’s find a homeless person and buy him/her a tea / coffee out of your budget. Don’t assume either, talk to the person and ask what they prefer. I’ll try to find one
• NO Beauty spends for the ladies over £5. Don’t do beauty spends Got the hairdresser but that money is saved from this month
• NO extra beer for the boys at all. If it’s in your house drink it, then start on the soft drinks. No problem
• Set a petrol allowance and stick to it. Taking the bus/bike anyway, too far to walk
• Those that completed NOvember get rid of what is in your cupboards before buying Christmas supplies. Yep
• Call 5 friends / family members / acquaintances / work colleague / virtual stranger’s – and tell them you will not be buying gifts this year. Only buy/bought for parents, BF and son. The rest get HM hampers with cupboard ingredients like cookies or HM limoncello, which is infusing as we speak and paid for
• DO NOT enter any secret Santa at work or anywhere else. Don’t do them anyway
• Batch cook now, try to avoid massive tins of sweets, fancy biscuits in expensive tins and £7 cakes from M&S. Yep
• Down-shift some “essentials” to Supermarket Own Brands…get the family used to it now!!! Already done
• NO ENTRY to any sales in the month of DDD. Don’t do shopping
• Buy one of these. Start filling it. You will not be given access for 1 year. Once its full you start another one. Can’t as I don’t have another spend day left in November , but I got a box that I use
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...rds=money+tins
Nov batten down the hatches no 14
SFD 0/20 GC 0/180 HH 0/80 Wedding debt 2500 2080 CC 504 451 DFD Dec '15

Last edited by thriftylass; 28-11-2012 at 10:48 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thriftylass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
StressedSteph
Old 28-11-2012, 9:47 AM

Hi Kat,

wow those rules are going to take some remembering. Going to print them out like others have said.

I think 90% of them will be ok to stick to, a few tricky ones there but will try my hardest.

I am treating Christmas dinner like a normal sunday roast. If I think like that, it will hopefully stop me convincing myself that I need two trolleys worth of food, like previous Christmas's.

Thankfully this year, we only have my mother over, and she is abit doo-lally so she won't notice if its a budget Christmas.

I think the tricky bit is all the Cheese and crackers I convince myself I need. Speciality cheeses are very expensive. going to have a think about that.

Count me in though....Thanks KAt, you are just what we need

TomandJerry - Not sure how much Gluten free flour costs compared to normal Strong bread flour, but I have been making my own bread and it works about about 40p per loaf. And thats a large one using 550g of flour.

So well worth doing it. You don't really need any equipment.
Just flour, yeast, salt, sugar, butter & water. knead, shape into a round mound on a baking tray, leave to rise and bake.
Ok you will not have the conventional square shaped sandwiches, but who likes to be conventional .

Go for it xxx
Argos £395 / Barclays £850 / Next £1972 Littlewoods (£2479) - £647 /
Co-op cc (£1852) - £1299 / OD (£3264) - £2154 / Tesco CC (£5336) - £4436
Virgin CC (£4371)-£2788 - Nov 2013 £20519 - Sept 2014 £11470.
Nov/Dec Goal - Pay £1470 off debt - Nov £0 - Pay10k in 2014 - 90% paid-
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to StressedSteph For This Useful Post: Show me >>