Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NinjaSavingKat
    • By NinjaSavingKat 27th Nov 12, 9:26 PM
    • 3,214Posts
    • 20,130Thanks
    NinjaSavingKat
    December Debt Destruction!!!
    • 27th Nov 12, 9:26 PM
    December Debt Destruction!!! 27th Nov 12 at 9:26 PM
    December Debt Destruction – Are YOU Tough Enough?

Clear Up, Clean Up, And Take Control

I hate New Year’s resolutions. It’s almost a prerequisite that you should have already decided to stop resoluting by February. With your debts it can’t be like that. Many of us are in for the long haul so we should start Debt Destruction TODAY! I want to encourage YOU to clear up the straggled ends, decide today how you will proceed through 2013 and nurture some good behaviours and a new mind set.

Following the success of my “Just Say NOvember” challenge it has been brought to my attention that another challenge is required for the month of December. There are a distinct collection of ruthless, money-crunching, unashamed penny-pinchers desperate to turn the heat up on those debts!!! So who am I not to indulge YOUR requests!

We are to embrace the austerity of the days gone by, ration our food and not be wasteful.
    We will “make do and mend” and we will pull together!

December is the most horrific money funnelling month of the year and there are some serious demands surrounding us as we prepare! You are being bombarded by messages in every form telling you what you MUST buy for Christmas, what will make it magical and what will make it memorable! I am calling a halt to all this, giving YOU the excuse to say NO and hoping that I can help you prepare for that new cleaner outlook for 2013.

I am ruthless about my debt, and I am desperate to live a debt-free life and I want to drag you with me!!! I am planning to be rid of my debt (currently standing at around £14,000) by the end of 2013 but give myself personal challenges to deal with until then…so I would appreciate some company along the way! …Please?

I can’t say this won’t be hard but the interaction between users has been encouraging and everyone will help you. So please, stop faffing about, take responsibility and give me your name!

There are rules to abide by! Simple ones though, meaning you can keep track of your progress, boast about, and share your successes or indeed failures and bad days. There is only so much I can dictate to you about your Christmas though. This is the most difficult month to plot for as everyone is feeding a different amount of people, budgeting differently and living in different areas with differing prices to deal with. You are an adult but this is about being honest but at least you will know you are not in this by yourself!!

So read up and sign up!

• This challenge commences on the 01st December 2012 @ 00:01 and finishes on 31st December 2012 @ 23:59.
    • Minimum 20 NSD. Please pledge this on the NSD board, do not do this on this thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4312083
    • 6 X 20 MINUTE SESSION OF EXERCISE A WEEK. However you wish you do this, just get your butt moving! This needs to be broken up throughout the week!
    • Food budget must decided upon before the commencement of this challenge then slashed by £30. I am assuming you have started Christmas food shopping and won’t need too much more – yes?
    • “Spend” Money for anything else needs to be pre-agreed prior to the commencement of DDD. This includes last minute gifts, parties, food that’s to be taken to any party, and alcoholic drinks.
    • No foods are to be purchased at work canteens / cafes etc. If you are having a family day out packed lunches are the only lunches allowed.
    • All money needed for the month for food or spends is to be withdrawn and placed in envelopes clearly marked for purpose.
    • 3 Wildcard Days are allowed. To qualify for one you must make the same amount of money as you plan to spend all in that same day. These are only for emergencies – if you NEED something. You make £5 on eBay; you are allowed to use it without losing an NSD etc.
    • An NSD does not include petrol, car maintenance, medications, household bills and travel to work.,
    • On one of your NSD’s find a homeless person and buy him/her a tea / coffee out of your budget. Don’t assume either, talk to the person and ask what they prefer.
    • NO Beauty spends for the ladies over £5.
    • NO extra beer for the boys at all. If it’s in your house drink it, then start on the soft drinks.
    • Set a petrol allowance and stick to it. When in doubt walk.
    • Those that completed NOvember get rid of what is in your cupboards before buying Christmas supplies.
    • Those of you who are new to this challenge clear your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more food. You DO NOT NEED reems of food for Christmas Day. Buy very CAREFULLY. What do you always buy each year that NEVER gets eaten?
    • Call 5 friends / family members / acquaintances / work colleague / virtual stranger’s – and tell them you will not be buying gifts this year.
    • DO NOT enter any secret Santa at work or anywhere else.
    • Batch cook now, try to avoid massive tins of sweets, fancy biscuits in expensive tins and £7 cakes from M&S.
    • Down-shift some “essentials” to Supermarket Own Brands…get the family used to it now!!!
    • NO ENTRY to any sales in the month of DDD. Unless you have a planned budget and have been saving for a specific item PLEASE do not go to the Boxing Day Sales. I just put a dress from NEXT on eBay that I bought last Boxing Day and never wore. Its temptation you can’t handle to buy tat you really don’t need. STAY AT HOME!!!
    • Buy one of these. Start filling it. You will not be given access for 1 year. Once its full you start another one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=money+tins

And finally - as annoying as this will be ( amongst everything else ) I need you to keep a spending diary. Something will always crop up that you need to spend pennies on... write it all down. ON your phone, scrap of paper.. keep these scraps safe though...

PLEASE DO NOT RE-POST THIS ENTIRE THREAD. IF U WISH TO JOIN JUST ADD YOUR NANE TO A PAGE AND I'LL GET YOU A NUMBER. I DO NOT NEED TO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT EACH POINT WITH THE POINT RE-ADDED AS WELL- IT TAKES UP TOO MUCH ROOM!!!
    Last edited by NinjaSavingKat; 30-11-2012 at 10:19 AM.

On the road of life..
Page 2
    • tomandjerry
    • By tomandjerry 28th Nov 12, 12:22 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    tomandjerry
    WOW!!!! What a challenge! / (at the same time)
    Some of it I have been doing on/off for years...spending diary, money tin...there must be more I am sure...
    Not doing secret santa this year (decided today at work)...not need any toiletries in the month of December (or much longer)...can do homeless people any time, it just tickled me(wanting to do this for a very long time out of feeling very lucky to have a roof over my head/food/work/?money/smile and warm heart to make these people a bit special and also noticed), so a good one KAT . I think I can do all of those bullet points, better print them out so I won't forget.
    I want to start baking (mainly bread as I can only eat gluten free stuff), but I have no baking tins or other baking equipment. I need to buy them on my SD and budget for it first. Not sure if the home made bread works out cheeper than the one from any supermarket. Any idea/experience on this one anybody?
    No Xmas presents this year, my family is a sensible one and I won't see them until after Xmas/New year anyway. If I go shopping I have the vouchers/gift cards to spend so it should not break my account.
    So Kat, count me in.
    NSD Nov 20/20 Dec 13/20 March 12/15 Apr 8/20
    DMP started 2/2007
    DMP Mutual support #136
    DFD July 2013 May 2024 Oct 2017 Feb 2017 April 2017Feb 2017
    still hoping to be sooner
    • Sholly
    • By Sholly 28th Nov 12, 12:23 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    Sholly
    Sign me up!
    I'm here and ready to rumble!!

Pretty please can I have a number?

Sholly x
    DFW and MFW
    Debt free target: June 2016
    15 months to go
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 28th Nov 12, 12:26 AM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 2,423 Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    I was going to join in with this to give myself a good kick up the butt,however we just moved house, are still in the process of moving furniture etc,have no idea what the diesel will be like as we moved across town,have 6 kids and various appointments, work evenings so no way am I walking in the dark and not even started on any shopping as first I have my Mum's birthday(Dec 1st) and also my daughter's (Dec 19th).I only buy for the kids and my sister and my parents so can't cut any of those out unless I want to upset/offend them. Sigh. I'll be following the thread with interest though and will try to follow some of the rules unofficially.Good luck all of you.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 /Debt April 2016 £5610.79

#69 £1000 Emergency Fund £21.37/£1000
    Save for xmas 2016 #51 £0/366
    • tomandjerry
    • By tomandjerry 28th Nov 12, 12:38 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    tomandjerry
    Hello Toomuchdebt ,

You can always join in later once you have settled in your new house/area and know the prices and routine. Doing any of those challenges give you more control of your spending and also you are more aware of where the money goes. So good luck to you too with all of that+the house/furniture move .
    t&j
    NSD Nov 20/20 Dec 13/20 March 12/15 Apr 8/20
    DMP started 2/2007
    DMP Mutual support #136
    DFD July 2013 May 2024 Oct 2017 Feb 2017 April 2017Feb 2017
    still hoping to be sooner
    • NinjaSavingKat
    • By NinjaSavingKat 28th Nov 12, 5:39 AM
    • 3,214 Posts
    • 20,130 Thanks
    NinjaSavingKat
    TooMuchDebt.. You just need to over-budget for a few things? Anything left over is a win for you! I'm just "suggesting" walking instead of petrol usage..I'm sure I said 'where possible'.. The food budget can be what you want it to be? What other excuses have you got?

This is hard to accommodate for everyone Rising! If you use a walking stick clearly the walking part won't include you.. We're to use our common sense to a degree. It's aiming at people ( like an acquaintance of mine ) who takes the car to the shop that's less than 5 minutes from her house?? That's not normal!!

It's difficult to co-ordinate a challenge of this magnitude for everyone... Should I tell people to omit three-four they can't manage?? Maybe that's the way forward..
    Last edited by NinjaSavingKat; 28-11-2012 at 10:38 AM.

On the road of life..
    • gelmc
    • By gelmc 28th Nov 12, 6:46 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    gelmc
    Count me in too NK. I need this to keep me away on the sales and buying random crap!
    • JAMIEDODGER
    • By JAMIEDODGER 28th Nov 12, 6:48 AM
    • 4,086 Posts
    • 17,711 Thanks
    JAMIEDODGER
    I'd like to sign up for December too please x
    • couldsavemore
    • By couldsavemore 28th Nov 12, 7:06 AM
    • 258 Posts
    • 2,457 Thanks
    couldsavemore
    please count me in . i want to clear my debts by the end of 2013 and this would get me of to a good start. i do get carried away during december with my spending so you will help me to keep control.
  • AlTeREgO
    Another great challenge ~ Good luck to everyone signing up

Looking at the link for the Money tins, the tin for reciepts - 'reciepts for money i used to have' made me giggle

Its already been pointed out you can buy these at £land, B&M ect, but you could also make your own sealed pot by gaffa taping a pringles pot, celebrations tin or whatever pot, so its sealed, and then decorate the tin as you wish and the money you save by doing this can be the first to hit the bottom of the pot
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 28th Nov 12, 8:02 AM
    • 6,875 Posts
    • 27,393 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Yay, DDD is here!!!
    Put me down please Kat
    #20- 3/6 month emergency fund challenge.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 28th Nov 12, 8:07 AM
    • 5,175 Posts
    • 26,801 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I think I'd like to join - eek its frightening!!!! Will print off the list and review at lunchtime. I kept dipping in and out of the NOvember thread thinking it was complete madness but here you guys are! 20 NSDs seems much more manageable!

We have just moved and are in the process of renovating our kitchen - will need to be more organised! What I find is I'm constatly thinking on a "what do I need for today and tomorrow" basis and need to take a month long view!

anyway ramblings
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £3170/£5000
    GC Jan £142.79/£180 Feb £43.97/£180 YTD £154.97
    Wombling 2016 £127.27 Roadkill £1.23 NSDs Feb 7/10
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 28th Nov 12, 8:13 AM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 2,423 Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    Ooh overbudgeting-that's a good idea.I didn't think of that...let me read the rules again and see if I think I can do it.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 /Debt April 2016 £5610.79

#69 £1000 Emergency Fund £21.37/£1000
    Save for xmas 2016 #51 £0/366
    • NinjaSavingKat
    • By NinjaSavingKat 28th Nov 12, 8:22 AM
    • 3,214 Posts
    • 20,130 Thanks
    NinjaSavingKat
    Ooh overbudgeting-that's a good idea.I didn't think of that...let me read the rules again and see if I think I can do it.
    Originally posted by Toomuchdebt
    Join join join join join join

On the road of life..
  • Sunflower27
    I would like to join please
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 28th Nov 12, 8:59 AM
    • 12,326 Posts
    • 59,543 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Originally posted by Toomuchdebt
    Surely over-budgeting in both budget spends and planned days would defeat the object of the challenge?

Say your grocery bill is usually £200 then, according to the rules, it should reduce to £170 but ... if you over budget it to £230 & reduce to £200 .... then you've technically met the rules of the challenge but you've not actually achieved any reduction......

What would be the point in doing the challenge!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 28th Nov 12, 9:13 AM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 18,298 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Surely over-budgeting in both budget spends and planned days would defeat the object of the challenge?

Say your grocery bill is usually £200 then, according to the rules, it should reduce to £170 but ... if you over budget it to £230 & reduce to £200 .... then you've technically met the rules of the challenge but you've not actually achieved any reduction......

What would be the point in doing the challenge!
    Originally posted by rising from the ashes
    The point of doing the challenge is to have a budget as to having none at all and thinking about where money goes and taking note rather than just spending blindly. If this is not for you don't take part, simples. As Kat said you have to make allowances for personal circumstances, Kat is no Dictator. Some rules don't apply to everybody. I can't cut out 5 people for christmas as I only buy (bought) for three and the rest get HM stuff that I already have in the house. Etc etc etc
    Last edited by thriftylass; 28-11-2012 at 9:16 AM.
    NST May no 12
    SFD 1/16 spend 52/450 Exercise 1/20
    Debt - all 0% 3467/5290 (34% paid off)
    DFD 07/2017
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 28th Nov 12, 9:29 AM
    • 12,326 Posts
    • 59,543 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    As Kat said you have to make allowances for personal circumstances, Kat is no Dictator. Some rules don't apply to everybody.
    Originally posted by thriftylass
    That was my reason for originally saying that I couldn't unfortunately meet some of them ......

As had already been asked by that point:

Are you executing us to comply with all the bullet points ( I know that's impossible for me!) or pick 3 of them say?
    Originally posted by Determined diva
    Please tell me you are joking?
    Yes all please...
    Originally posted by NinjaSavingKat
    From the above - it certainly doesn't appear that some are optional!
    Last edited by rising from the ashes; 28-11-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    • PurpleJay
    • By PurpleJay 28th Nov 12, 9:34 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 2,393 Thanks
    PurpleJay
    Hi All.

I would love to join in please and have been following the November thread with interest. I will work out my budgets and pop back and introduce myself properly later as I have to dash off to work now.

Have a great day x
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
    it's about learning to dance in the rain'

January 2016
    Grocery 0/100, Pets 0/50, SFD 2/21.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 28th Nov 12, 9:39 AM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 18,298 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Sorry long post, but here's my plan. NSK let me know if I need to tweak sth. Cheers

• Minimum 20 NSD. Please pledge this on the NSD board, do not do this on this thread. WILL DO
    • 6 X 20 MINUTE SESSION OF EXERCISE A WEEK. NO PROBLEM
    • Food budget must decided upon before the commencement of this challenge then slashed by £30. I am assuming you have started Christmas food shopping and won’t need too much more – yes? Not Really started yet as that wasn’t possible in NOvember but I’ll keep my food budget from last month and will make do with that including Christmas food (and I have to feed FIL, parents, BF and DS for a week around christmas). Plan on £220 again but trying to remain £30 under
    • “Spend” Money for anything else needs to be pre-agreed prior to the commencement of DDD. This includes last minute gifts, parties, food that’s to be taken to any party, and alcoholic drinks. £150 as I have 5 outings (lunch, dinner) that I can’t get out of and need a few stocking fillers. Trying to stay well under that though.
    • No foods are to be purchased at work canteens / cafes etc. Ok
    • All money needed for the month for food or spends is to be withdrawn and placed in envelopes clearly marked for purpose. Will have to be virtual envelopes as I can’t withdraw that much or done weekly
    • 3 Wildcard Days are allowed. 10 spend days should be fine
    • On one of your NSD’s find a homeless person and buy him/her a tea / coffee out of your budget. Don’t assume either, talk to the person and ask what they prefer. I’ll try to find one
    • NO Beauty spends for the ladies over £5. Don’t do beauty spends Got the hairdresser but that money is saved from this month
    • NO extra beer for the boys at all. If it’s in your house drink it, then start on the soft drinks. No problem
    • Set a petrol allowance and stick to it. Taking the bus/bike anyway, too far to walk
    • Those that completed NOvember get rid of what is in your cupboards before buying Christmas supplies. Yep
    • Call 5 friends / family members / acquaintances / work colleague / virtual stranger’s – and tell them you will not be buying gifts this year. Only buy/bought for parents, BF and son. The rest get HM hampers with cupboard ingredients like cookies or HM limoncello, which is infusing as we speak and paid for
    • DO NOT enter any secret Santa at work or anywhere else. Don’t do them anyway
    • Batch cook now, try to avoid massive tins of sweets, fancy biscuits in expensive tins and £7 cakes from M&S. Yep
    • Down-shift some “essentials” to Supermarket Own Brands…get the family used to it now!!! Already done
    • NO ENTRY to any sales in the month of DDD. Don’t do shopping
    • Buy one of these. Start filling it. You will not be given access for 1 year. Once its full you start another one. Can’t as I don’t have another spend day left in November , but I got a box that I use
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...rds=money+tins
    Last edited by thriftylass; 28-11-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    NST May no 12
    SFD 1/16 spend 52/450 Exercise 1/20
    Debt - all 0% 3467/5290 (34% paid off)
    DFD 07/2017
    • StressedSteph
    • By StressedSteph 28th Nov 12, 9:47 AM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 10,756 Thanks
    StressedSteph
    Hi Kat,

wow those rules are going to take some remembering. Going to print them out like others have said.

I think 90% of them will be ok to stick to, a few tricky ones there but will try my hardest.

I am treating Christmas dinner like a normal sunday roast. If I think like that, it will hopefully stop me convincing myself that I need two trolleys worth of food, like previous Christmas's.

Thankfully this year, we only have my mother over, and she is abit doo-lally so she won't notice if its a budget Christmas.

I think the tricky bit is all the Cheese and crackers I convince myself I need. Speciality cheeses are very expensive. going to have a think about that.

Count me in though....Thanks KAt, you are just what we need

TomandJerry - Not sure how much Gluten free flour costs compared to normal Strong bread flour, but I have been making my own bread and it works about about 40p per loaf. And thats a large one using 550g of flour.

So well worth doing it. You don't really need any equipment.
    Just flour, yeast, salt, sugar, butter & water. knead, shape into a round mound on a baking tray, leave to rise and bake.
    Ok you will not have the conventional square shaped sandwiches, but who likes to be conventional .

Go for it xxx
    Argos £395 / Barclays £850 / Next £1972 Littlewoods (£2479) Virgin CC (£4371)
    Overdraft (£3264) - £594 / Bank of Scot - £1465 / Tesco CC (£5336) - £1700 /
    Lloyds cc - £2254 / Barclay cc (£1852) - £2650
    LBM Dec 2013 £20,519 - December 2015 - £8,663
    PAYDBX 2016 Paid off 0% (£85 = 1%) £0/£8,500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

2,321Users online

Martin's Twitter