IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Monument Credit Card
Views: 48,700
# 1
theleek
Old 12-01-2007, 7:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Monument Credit card charges

Ladies and Gents,anybody have any advice on the above company.I have received my statements from them,and so far everything has been promptly acted upon and they have not charged me for copy statements.
I have calculated the charges and they total just over 250.The letter i received from the company states that if i wish to discuss anything then ring a number which is given.

Has anybody tried this and been succesful rather than write and asking for the charges to be refunded.I aim to ring them and state what i would put on paper.I also have a debt on my card ( within the limit) of 500 so if they close my account i will still owe them money.

I am fully prepared for asking for the charges,just want,if possible to streamline the process.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
LHew
Old 23-02-2007, 7:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Monument Visa??

Does anyone know who I need to send my "Letter 1" at Monument so that I can claim my bank charges back?
# 3
PaulW922
Old 23-02-2007, 11:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liewe Heksie
Does anyone know who I need to send my "Letter 1" at Monument so that I can claim my bank charges back?
It is....

Monument Credit Card Services
Barclaycard
The Portland Building
25 High Street
CRAWLEY
RH10 1BG

If you need to issue court proceedings I am pretty sure it is 'Barclays Bank plc trading as Monument Credit Card services' but the exact name will be on your statements

Paul
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulW922 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
LHew
Old 26-02-2007, 5:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi PaulW922

Thanks!!!!
# 5
bev79
Old 28-02-2007, 3:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi
i sent my cheque and sar to Monument Credit Services, PO Box 504, Crawley, RH10 1XN on Friday and they cashed my chq yesterday
# 6
Irezumi Muzan
Old 28-02-2007, 3:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I used whatever address is on the back of the statements and they paid up within 2 weeks.
With all of my dietary restrictions, I'm left with lipstick and water
# 7
bev79
Old 01-03-2007, 4:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

They cashed my cheque this week so hopefully my statements will be here soon!
# 8
Irezumi Muzan
Old 01-03-2007, 4:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I went the letter route and Monument gave me half of the claim back. They didn't close my account and I owe them about 2 grand.
With all of my dietary restrictions, I'm left with lipstick and water
# 9
Wiggynut
Old 12-03-2007, 1:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Angry Charges from Monument???

Hi - this is my fight with monument and any help and suggestions would be great. most of this forum is bank charges but has any claimed from Monument yet I can't find any threads for them?

I've had a nightmare with Monument for 3 years!
I moved shortly after taking out their card and sent 15 letters and made (too many to count) phone calls letting them know... so basically it took them a year to change my address so no statements for me but I did call up to find my balance out and paid via DD... BUT, when I rang up one month I'd gone over by a couple of pounds so I paid the charge and extra but then a couple of months later I finally got a statement and there was 165 over my credit limit. I rang the customer service line (eh??) and said I need to know what this is for and can I set up a payment plan as I was temping and one weeks wage was lasting me about 3 weeks!!! the 'lady' on the line said NO and put the phone down on me. I have never received any responses to my 15 letters either... anyway two years later I finally get copies of my statements and apparently I went over at some point and the 165 was for this but how come when I called either talked to someone (which was rare no one answered) or the auto balance bit???? plus why couldn't they just tell me this in the first place? and why wasn't I allowed to start up a payment plan to pay off the excess... anyway two years on I still owe 850 despite making payments between 60 - 25 a month.
I sent a letter recently about charges and they said as a goodwill gesture (cough!) they wont except my 10 cheque (they havn't sent it back and it's a building soc cheque so they do have my 10 because I don't!!) they said I should have contacted them to check my balance (I did!) or look at my statements (didn't get any for ayear!) or to call them (I did!). Also I signed up to these fees - which is fair enough but why ignore my letters refuse a repayment plan etc... so they will not be refunded the fees (500 in total). why didn't they take more money from my DD? it didn't even cover the min charge and interest?????
... how much do Credit Cards charge for default payment - I mean since bank charges have been dropped? do I just send the 2nd letter?
thanks for any assistant offered. I will add more when I found out anything new.
# 10
bev79
Old 12-03-2007, 3:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

wishing you lots of luck, I have to wait until 2nd April when my 40 days dpa request is up. Although they cashed my cheque on the 27th Feb??!!
# 11
hammerette
Old 14-03-2007, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Wink wow - what a fast response

I sent a letter requesting a list of my charges along with a 10 postal order on Friday 9th March. Today I get home and there are my list of charges and as a goodwill gesture they have given back my postal order as well.

I bet the rest of the claim doesnt go as easy lol

Will be going through my charges in a mo but estimate 700 and will be sending the first plese can I have my money back letter recorded delivery tomorrow.

Still cant get over how fast they were, they received letter Monday and I receive charges list Wednesday - shocked
# 12
Wiggynut
Old 15-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Question What address to use for 2nd letter to Monument?

I've checked the address forum which lists the one for charges list but nothing for the 2nd letter. Where do I send this one.
:confused:

Thanks

If you were successful when did they pay up after 2nd letter???
thanks
# 13
Wiggynut
Old 15-03-2007, 1:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Question 2nd address to monument?????

Where do I send 2nd letter to monument... there's an address for the first - charges list but no 2nd.
thanks for any info
# 14
hammerette
Old 15-03-2007, 2:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggynut View Post
I've checked the address forum which lists the one for charges list but nothing for the 2nd letter. Where do I send this one.
:confused:

Thanks

If you were successful when did they pay up after 2nd letter???
thanks
i relied to address on the letter that came with my list of charges hope that helps
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerette For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
bev79
Old 15-03-2007, 2:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

my statements came yesterday, 2 weeks after I requested them which I was v pleased about. Accompanying them was a letter stating that all charges were fair and my own fault for paying late/not paying at all. Anyway sent Letter 1 yesterday afternoon to request £480 + £80 interest!
# 16
bev79
Old 15-03-2007, 3:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I used the Crawley Hill address on top of the letter they sent me
Monument
The Portland Building
25 High Street
Crawley
West Sussex
RH10 1BG
The Following User Says Thank You to bev79 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
bev79
Old 22-03-2007, 12:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Update- Received a letter yesterday offering me half (£280) and saying that is half of each charge, as the OFT suggested. Not prepared to offer any interest.
I will be writing back today thanking them for their kind offer, but rejecting it and proceeding onwards to get my full claim back!!
# 18
Wiggynut
Old 23-03-2007, 1:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Question next stage!

got a letter last night from Monument offering half which I would take but as I've been trying to sort this out for 2.5 years with no response to all my letters and phone calls I will now be refusing.

When sending the letter saying no I guess I add the name of the county court in it and give them 14 days (I think, I'll have a further look over this site to confirm) but the site for courts is rather confusing and my nearest court is a magistrates court which says its work is 'Adult criminal' and 'criminal' but does this include this sort of clain (as you can guess I have no idea over courts! :confused: )

the fee for the charges is 50 which is slightly scaring as I've started a new job and I have to live on two weeks wages (low amount) for a month before I get paid again and have DD to pay also so 50 is a lot but might have this amount on my credit card (NOT monument obviously! )

I'll let you guys know what happens once I've figured out the 3rd letter.
# 19
PaulW922
Old 23-03-2007, 2:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You must use the COUNTY court. They are often situated with criminal courts (Magistrates and/or Crown) but not always. However if you start your claim via the moneyclaim web site then it will commence in the County Court bulk centre in Northampton. It will only move if the claim is contested.

And for everyone claiming from Monument - that is just a trading name. Your account is with Barclays Bank. Any claim should be addressed to 'Barclays Bank plc trading as Monument Credit card'.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulW922 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Wiggynut
Old 24-03-2007, 7:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Thanks for your help

I'm getting all rather confused over this - should I say I will accept the half refund as a partial refund only??? does that mean they add that to my account now? plus I'm not sure what to say in my 3rd letter - do I mention that I will commence court procedings in 14 days?

and what is a POC, which I've seen mentioned several time on different sites - as you can see I have no idea about this sort of stuff! :confused: