Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    united66
    Stolen Galaxy S3
    • 8th Nov 12, 4:58 PM
    Stolen Galaxy S3 8th Nov 12 at 4:58 PM
    Hi All.

I was on a night out in Newcastle with the lads back in August, got picked up by a taxi around midnight and my galaxy s3 fell out my pocket into the back seat of the taxi. I got out the car and realised, the driver turned round and drove past me as I tried to flag him down. He obviously realised I'd left something in there and decided to drive away. Now to the point. I claimed on insurance and got a new one, however I realised a few days ago that the person who stole it (the taxi driver I remember his face now) had not unlinked the phone from my dropbox account (fail), and every picture he has taken of himself and his family has stored to my online account. I've sent a link to the dropbox and details of my crime to Northumbria police who have been very quick to reply and have passed pictures to the intel team to identify the man.

The problem I have facing me is - I no longer have the original box to get the IMEI number. I have rang 3 who said they won't give it me (because it might not be registered to their network!?) so I can pass it on to the police incase they track the man down. I now have an official crime number, do they have to give it me by law?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!
    Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers - make sure your hands are clean. Bob Marley - Legend.

Page 2
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 9th Nov 12, 12:45 PM
    • 15,702 Posts
    • 24,785 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    There will be a big map displayed - if it doesn't then you didn't have geo-tagging setup
  • united66
    No I don't think I did, and he hasnt either.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 10-11-2012 at 9:40 AM. Reason: Personal details
    Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers - make sure your hands are clean. Bob Marley - Legend.

• united66
    Shame I cant get my IMEI number from the pics

• ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 9th Nov 12, 12:56 PM
    • 15,702 Posts
    • 24,785 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    Wow, i think he's actually at a wedding right now! Wonder if the phone is even still in the country (looking at the internal shots)

I double checked - there's no GPS info on that photo
    Last edited by ringo_24601; 09-11-2012 at 1:00 PM.
  • united66
    That was taken 3rd nov. They have !!!! like that all the time in newcastle. Is he indian or pakistani?

• sharpy2010
    If you ever manage to find out who he is (and you should eventually be able to, with those pics) then you could REALLY frighten him by sending him random pictures of his family...

And I hope no one says thats out of order, HE STOLE THE PHONE!

Can you take those pictures to the taxi company and ask which driver it is?

I know that seems simple, but sometimes things get overlooked.
  • sharpy2010
    Unfortunately you can tell by the design of the buildings that that isn't the U.K.
  • united66
    The 'Warid' network it is on, is in Abu Dhabi (Dubai...)

• ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 9th Nov 12, 1:14 PM
    • 15,702 Posts
    • 24,785 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    You know - a newspaper would be interested in this
  • united66
    But these were uploaded to my drop box on 3rd november, but the photo's only upload when he uses a wi-fi connection, so could of been before that when they were ACTUALLY taken, he could be back in the UK NOW. I've installed plan b to the phone but havent received anything yet.

• united66
    If he's a registered taxi driver he will be back at some point.

• gadgeteer
    • By gadgeteer 9th Nov 12, 1:19 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    gadgeteer
    Can you log into Google dashboard? https://www.google.com/dashboard/

If the phone is listed under devices, clicking on it will tell you the IMEI
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 9th Nov 12, 1:20 PM
    • 15,702 Posts
    • 24,785 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    That's if he doesn't give the phone to a relative.. sorry!

Epic idea on the Google Dashboard btw - i just checked my own and found the number. Maybe peek around there
    Last edited by ringo_24601; 09-11-2012 at 1:24 PM.
  • united66
    Got the IMEI number thanks 'gadgeteer'!
    There has been backup activity on the device 12th october.
    Is there anyway I can access this back-up??

• gadgeteer
    • By gadgeteer 9th Nov 12, 1:37 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    gadgeteer
    Well by default it backs up the contacts. So if he's been using your account which it looks like he may be doing, you can using the same dashboard see what contacts are there. Who knows...maybe he will have done something stupid like put "Wife" or "mum" as a contact which would help police track him down.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 9th Nov 12, 1:41 PM
    • 15,702 Posts
    • 24,785 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    Go to this - https://www.google.com/contacts

And see if there's anyone you don't recognise in there!
  • united66
    Thanks to everyone's help, I've managed to get them the IMEI number, got all the photo's in a dropbox link that updates automatically and all the relevant info. Fingers crossed.

• united66
    Sounds like he is back in the country!

• gadgeteer
    • By gadgeteer 9th Nov 12, 2:23 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    gadgeteer
    I just thought....if you can see his contacts, can you remotely update his contact numbers so that he ends up calling you? You can get his number that way then
    • billbennett
    • By billbennett 9th Nov 12, 2:23 PM
    • 2,271 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    billbennett
    Those photos definitely look like they were taken outside the UK (yes, we kinda established that already), but photo 41 has a bottle of Sprite with a logo in non-English characters on the label. Also, photo 74 shows a DVD playing - it's Transformers: Dark Side Of The Moon, 53 minutes in, but with English subtitles, so obviously originally dubbed into another language.
    In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,848Users online

Martin's Twitter