Smartfonestore- Be careful if buying from them!

Options
bingo123_2
bingo123_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
edited 2 November 2014 at 11:14PM in Mobiles
Please delete thread

Comments

• chrisbrought125
    Options
    I have exactly the same issue. S3 Phone starting saying 'emergency calls only' on Friday after purchasing in late August and having no prior issues. GiffGaff have said that there isn't any bars/blocks on my account so I did a checkMEND report and it showed the 'blocked on one or more networks' warning. Luckily I'm just in the warranty period so they should accept it under the 60 day policy but will be interesting to hear what feedback you get. It says they do checkMEND reports before they send the phone but they probably aren't much use straight away. Doesn't give me much confidence if they send another one as the same thing could happen. Is there anything stopping someone getting the phone on contract, recycling it for cash straight away (then is sold on by Smartfone store) and then stopping the DD? I guess this is what happened?
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That isn't a warranty issue, so don't be fobbed off with that excuse.

They have sold you a handset that may have been stolen or subject to a fraudulent insurance claim.

Inform them and send a letter befor action (LBA) giving them 10 days to sort out the problem otherwise you will initiate court action. Then be prepared to do it.

This is always the potential risk in buying a 2nd hand phone from any source you can't personally confirm. Someone gets an upgrade, sells it and then a month later claims it was stolen to get a new one on insurance.
  • chrisbrought125
    Options
    @Guys dad The 60 day warrenty thing is just there in case of any problems and smartfone store havent contacted us yet. I expect this scenario is out of their hands a bit as they ran a checkMEND report before sending out the item but nothing shows about whether the phone has been fully paid for or if its on contract where money is owed to the network with the potential for payments stopping and then the IMEI being blacklisted.

GiffGaff are currently looking into removing the bar for me so i might not need to send it back after all. They said it might take up to 5 days though. @bingo123 I would suggest trying the same with your network.
  • sits
    Options
    Any update on this?

Was considering buying from Smartfonestore and this is my primary concern.
  • chrisbrought125
    Options
    sits wrote: »
    Any update on this?

Was considering buying from Smartfonestore and this is my primary concern.

Nothing yet. Still on the Emergency Calls only. I wouldn't bother to be honest, it was great to begin with but since the problem I've been without calls and texts for a week now and it's painful and I'm clearly not the only one it's happened to!

Buy the phone new or on contract. I'm going to hold off until the end of the week and see what happens
  • bingo123_2
    Options
    Just a quick update - despite the fact that I was out of the 60 day "no quibbles" warranty period, Smartfonestore have accepted my request for a refund and I have been sent a returns pack.:T

Hopefully this should get resolved. However my concern is whether they would have acted in the same prompt manner if it was 1 year after the purchase? I supposed I'm fortunate it got blocked after 2 months and not later.

Smartfonestore's prices are actually very low, and I was tempted to buy again. However I've resisted. Once bitten, twice shy.
  • bingo123_2
    Options
    Nothing yet. Still on the Emergency Calls only. I wouldn't bother to be honest, it was great to begin with but since the problem I've been without calls and texts for a week now and it's painful and I'm clearly not the only one it's happened to!

Buy the phone new or on contract. I'm going to hold off until the end of the week and see what happens

If i was you, I'd return it whilst I had the chance. I wouldn't want to have paid so much money for a dodgy phone. Either buy it brand new from somewhere like Asda Direct for £399 or get a used one from Amazon Warehouse for £350-£400.
  • chrisbrought125
    Options
    bingo123 wrote: »
    If i was you, I'd return it whilst I had the chance. I wouldn't want to have paid so much money for a dodgy phone. Either buy it brand new from somewhere like Asda Direct for £399 or get a used one from Amazon Warehouse for £350-£400.

I've taken your advise. Asda was a good price with 4% cashback on TopCashBack at the mo so ends up about £385, not much extra than what i originally paid for a grade B and it will have all the accessories (Smartfone store will give you a usb cable and the phone, but no earphones, elec plug, manuals etc)

Even if it starts to work over the weekend, at least I dont have to worry about it happening again.

Cheers
  • chrisbrought125
    Options
    PS. TCB cashback only tracking at 2% and ex VAT so £6.Might be a mistake though so lodged a claim.
  • chrisbrought125
    Options
    FYI Smartfone Store were really good with the refund side of things. They sent me a pre-paid special delivery envelop and once I'd sent that back with the phone they took about a day for the money to be refunded. Good company but very annoying situation to be in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure