IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ANPR Parking Ticket

Options
My mum has received an ANPR parking ticket from a retail car park for £40, going up to 60 after a couple of weeks. It includes photos of her car.
My problem is that she never left the car, she sat in the drivers seat whilst I nipped into a shop.

Does she have to pay it or not?

Comments

• bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why is that a problem?

Just ignore it.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • sarahgti
    sarahgti Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Well the whole ticket is my problem actually!
    Can they not enforce it then?
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, they can try but what grounds are there? They don't own the land, there is no trespass, there is no loss as the shops were used.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • sarahgti
    sarahgti Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    So whats the point in parking meters and fining people?
    Everyone I work with is saying they will take it to court etc because if ignoring them worked then surely everyone would do it?!?!
    I don't want to get my mum more "fines" by ignoring it.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unless its issued by a council or the law its not a FINE its just a piece of paper which you can pay or ignore, its up to you. Ignoring DOES work, its just that not enough people realise it. If its your Mums car then the letters will go to her, they seem frightening but have no basis in law. What does the PPC say you did wrong anyway????
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sarahgti wrote: »
    Everyone I work with is saying they will take it to court etc because if ignoring them worked then surely everyone would do it?!?!

Parking meters and fines are for public highways and council car parks. There is no such thing as a "fine" for parking on private land.

They will not take it to court. In the last year for which we have figures there were 1.8 million of these fake tickets issued, and just 49 landed in court. Pretty good odds huh?

The reason a lot of people pay is sheer ignorance: they are as ill-informed as your work colleagues are, and as you were before you arrived here. Now you know better!
    Je suis Charlie.
  • bondy_lad
    bondy_lad Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    its a FAKE ticket/invoice, not real, an impersonation of the real thing,in other words a SCAM, tell that to your work colleagues, and ask them would they then pay up if they had recieved this loo paper?????,then look up the difference between a PENALTY charge notice and a PARKING charge notice,one is real and one is a ,,mickey mouse one.
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    ..........just 49 landed in court. Pretty good odds huh?

QUOTE]

I'm just wondering what happened to these 49?
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bradden wrote: »
    bazster wrote: »
    ..........just 49 landed in court. Pretty good odds huh?

QUOTE]

I'm just wondering what happened to these 49?

Others here will let me know if I'm wrong, but I think something like 25 were "won" by the motorist (the parking company often didn't turn up) and 24 by the parking company.

The parking companies chose their cases carefully, such as the one where the defendant was homebound by chronic illness and couldn't get to court (the parking company knew this).

It's also believed that some of them were set up by the parking companies where the defendants were stooges.

Also, it's always the same tiny handful of parking companies trying it (rarely). Most parking companies never go to court.

But however you look at it, it's pretty damning that virtually none of these ever get to court (and of some 2 million - and growing - of these fake tickets issued annually, hundreds of thousands go unpaid).
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2012 at 5:15PM
    Options
    sarahgti wrote: »

Everyone here on this parking board does ignore! I have ignored 2 fake PCNs myself. There is a huge difference between real parking tickets (Penalty Charge Notices) from Councils, and fake rip-off scam ones from private firms (parking charge notices).

Seriously, please educate the people you work with as they believe in a scam! There is actually a new appeals service for some fake PCNs - but that only applies to incidents from 1st October onwards - and a worried newbie like you is perhaps best ignoring the fake PCN anyway, which is always a good option with a scam.

It's like ignoring a series of phishing emails and will not result in Court or a CCJ. NOTHING EXCEPT JUNK MAIL THREATOGRAMS.

Anyway, these fake PCNs really are very easy to ignore. All the letters can be seen in picture previews, in the permanent info 'sticky' thread near the top of the parking forum. See my signature for the words to click on, in order to take a step back and see the whole current thread list. One click and you see all the current threads here.

Third from the top, click on 'PPC letters & threats'.

1. Watch the Watchdog clip on there and then

2. scroll down to the pics of your 'fave' firm's threatograms, then

3. Play a nice game of snap with each matching templated threatogram, then

4. Tell your friends & family and those naive colleagues about the fake PCN scam so they never pay one. If your Mum is not very good at ignoring debt collector letters then you may wish to write once to the PPC and tell them you were driving and give your address. This will mean that all the usual letters will come to you (not your Mum) if you are stronger at ignoring letters than she is.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT PAY AT ALL, DO NOT PANIC, AND STOP THINKING IT'S A PROBLEM OR A FINE!!

HTH :)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure