Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    NinjaSavingKat
    Ultimate Challenge. 457 days / 16600!!!
    • 29th Sep 12, 10:52 PM
    Ultimate Challenge. 457 days / 16600!!! 29th Sep 12 at 10:52 PM
    So, dear fellow DFW's I want to join the ranks!..and apologise about how long this is!!

I have researched, read and re-read so many incredibly encouraging threads, got myself excited over challenging myself and thought it was now time to make this REAL and make it public!!

I WANT TO BUY MY OWN HOUSE!!! I cannot do this when a considerable amount of my earnings will go to debts... so this is the plan...

From the 1st October I have precisely 457 days until the end of 2013. I personally refuse to enter 2014 ( by all means possible ) with any debt. This means working harder and longer, reducing out-goings to meagre proportions and selling everything I can afford to.

So this is the break down - rounded up to the nearest 100 for absolute ease as I checked these amounts a month ago and have since paid towards them!! ....

350 - Overdraft. This is being paid back in another 3 payments of 80 and will be gone by 01st January! REPAID!!! Reached 1000 since first posting but the ENTIRE amount was still paid on time!!!

350 - Ex-Boyfriend. For motorbike gear. 2 more payments of 175. Refuse to start the New Year owing him anything ( despite him being very lovely and very understanding and not demanding at all ).. REPAID!!!

1000 - Credit Card.Will be maxed shortly due to motorbike insurance.. will be selling stuff to cover this but for now the credit card has to take the brunt. (600 available at the moment ). Will be cleared by 31st December if it kills me and I live on beans! REPAID!!!

2500 - Student Loan. Money paid @ 150 per month minimum and will be complete by at least October 2013 due to the amount of overtime at work I intend to get my dirty mitts on...
    REPAID!!!

3200 - Nationwide Loan. This was for the Motorbike ( needed for commuting to work ). I am paying 133 per month, never missed a payment but have set up a standing order that I can transfer however much more I can afford each month in order to reduce the amount. I want this gone by 30th June. This means an extra 317 a month. Once the first three are repaid the surplus funds will be channelled into this loan! REPAID!!!

9300. Northern Bank. This is for a piece of land bought back home!....297 monthly. I pay half / my parents pay the other half. But the loan is in my name. I want to take responsibility for the whole thing. REPAID!!!

The Nationwide and Northern loans reduced in interest the more I pay off. Not sure if this is the same with all but it helps knowing that I can get rid of it all that much faster....

So there you go 16600. Works out at 37 a day. Which will make me think before I buy that bottle of water or choccie bar I really don't need ( although vintage clothing store are more of a temptation )..

So... no clothes shopping for 15 months, I will beg, borrow and swap if I want something new. I have asked for vouchers for Christmas..I buy food from Approved Food, reduced vegetables in Tescos, earn points in every store possible, and am selling all my books, and unwanted items... I am making hampers for close friends only and one hamper to send home to Ireland for 4 people ( max 40 ) for Christmas.. I get deals on line where I can, promotions, vouchers, coupons ...everything!!

Petrol hits 200.. I make 1700, my outgoings are around 1300 ( including food ) when I pay each loan its minimum repayment... this is manageable. But to get rid as fast as I want I need to be earning another 700 a month. This is where the overtime at work comes in.. I need to work three extra Sundays a month...

I have no family over here to move in with, no one to fall back on but me.. I am renting a room where all bills are included and share my life with a tabby called Dorothy. I don't drink, smoke or right now go out.....It will be worth it in the end I believe that for sure. This money saving / money making malarky is thrilling..

So there you go folks... Onwards and upwards...

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by NinjaSavingKat; 29-11-2013 at 5:01 PM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

1,724Users online

Martin's Twitter