Quantum Tuning - anyone heard of it?

Options
Been given a leaflet on quantum tuning which apparently increases BHP, increase nM Torque, and increase MPG by about 10%.

It costs £200-£300.

Does anyone know of this, if it's genuine, etc etc...?

Comments

• Notmyrealname
    Options
    Probably chipping the car, in other words rewriting the ECU with a custom engine map which gives more performance. Manufacturers use a very conservative map as it has to cater for all people so doesn't give the best power/torque/mpg it is possible to give. Those who go for custom maps tend to be prepared to put up with some of the downsides such as a less smooth power delivery so you can legitimately get what they're claiming just by remapping the ECU.

The price sounds about right too.
  • Edelman
    Edelman Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What downsides?
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    If it cound really increase mpg by 10% everyone would have one.

Check your insurance for modifications, it will count as one.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 September 2012 at 4:17PM
    Options
    Downsides your insurance may not cover modified cars.

Depending on the car and mileage. You could probably get a 10% improvement in economy from a basic service and altering your driving habits.

They used to say change up to a high gear as soon as possible but the higher gearing in modern cars kills that.

Change up too soon and it reduces economy.

Remap works on mine. I got 39mpg towing a caravan. I thought it was lying until
    i refuelled and did the sums manually.

Before the remap and other improvements it was getting 31mpg.

I stopped using 6th when towing. Because 5th gives better economy.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Also check up on your cars forum, some standard clutches might not like the extra power for example, so that £200 bill could some become a £500 one.
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had quantum tuning done and it broke some of the in-car gadgetry. Either the satnav works, or the speedo, but not both at once. So I either know how fast the car is going, or where it is, but not both. ;)
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've seen a much easier option. Basically it is an inline module that you plug the lead that normally goes into your ECU into. You then plug the lead from the module into the ECU.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Notmyrealname
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    I've seen a much easier option. Basically it is an inline module that you plug the lead that normally goes into your ECU into. You then plug the lead from the module into the ECU.

That type usually increases the fuel rail pressure to increase performance which shags the injectors and fuel pump.
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2012 at 9:56PM
    Options
    There will be a good reason why the manufacturer hasn't done it already. The engine is set up to meet the right balance of emissions, power and fuel consumption. Quite often motorists are selfish enough not to bother about the first of these, it is however illegal and these amateurs could mess up everything.

I doubt if the saving if any is significant anyway. They hope that you may attribute any potential improvement in fuel consumption to what they have done rather than a whole range of of other things it could easily be.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    cepheus wrote: »
    There will be a good reason why the manufacturer hasn't done it already. The engine is set up to meet the right balance of emissions, power and fuel consumption. Quite often motorists are selfish enough not to bother about the first of these, it is however illegal and these amateurs could mess up everything.

I doubt if the saving if any is significant anyway. They hope that you may attribute any potential improvement in fuel consumption to what they have done rather than a whole range of of other things it could easily be.

My old remapped 75 could deploy a James Bond style smokescreen on demand. Awesome for tailgaters!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure