IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Fridge/Freezer Repair advice
Views: 70,598
# 1
pjrouse
Old 09-09-2004, 1:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Fridge/Freezer Repair advice

Hi,

I have a Hotpoint fridge/freezer that was left in the house we moved into as part of the buying process. I would estimate it to be around 3 yrs old.

Recently it has started making more noise than usual when the motor/cooling mechanism starts up, sometimes this noise is only as it starts up - other times it's continuous.

When you open the freezer door (the mechanism is behind the ice compartment at the top) you can hear this noise - it's quite loud and sounds as if something is loose or rattling?

It doesnt happen all the time and has died down over the last few days and gone back to normal but it started again last night?

The performance of the fridge and freezer seems to be unaffected but I know it needs looking at before it stops altogether.

Has anyone got any experience of fixing such appliances? Any idea what it could possibly be and how much it's gonna cost me? (I know my technical explanation above may be lacking in detail - sorry)

Really I dont wanna fork out a 50 quid call out charge for someone to come and tell me it's gonna cost 100 quid+ to fix - I would rather put the 50 quid towards a new fully warranted fridge/freezer.

I have also seen on hotpoints site that their current range of fridge/freezers comes with a 5 yr parts warranty - I dont know if my current fridge/freezer came with a similar warranty but, would anyone know if

A) is this warranty transferable from the original purchaser of the appliance?

and

B) if it has to be an engineer from Hotpoint who comes out to make the diagnosis?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Paul
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
George_Bray
Old 09-09-2004, 2:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Re: Fridge/Freezer Repair advice

The primary moving part in a fridge or freezer is the compressor. When the compressor is working, you can always hear something. In between times, it isn't turning because the fridge is already cold enough, and the compressor can take a rest.

If the compressor itself is making excessive noise, it could be that the fridge has lost some refrigerant through a leak. Have you noticed the cooling efficiency diminish?

Or perhaps the compressor bearings were damaged in a move.

Or maybe the compressor is resonating or vibrating against another loose panel, even if there is nothing wrong with the compressor itself.

My gut feeling is that it would probably be uneconomic to have the fridge re-gassed, or the compressor replaced, like for a car. Domestic fridges should never leak because they are built in a different way to the air con for cars. If it's a simple vibration, then repair might be an option.

I hope this helps.

Regards
George

The Following User Says Thank You to George_Bray For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
pjrouse
Old 09-09-2004, 2:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
The primary moving part in a fridge or freezer is the compressor. !When the compressor is working, you can always hear something. In between times, it isn't turning because the fridge is already cold enough, and the compressor can take a rest.

If the compressor itself is making excessive noise, it could be that the fridge has lost some refrigerant through a leak. Have you noticed the cooling efficiency diminish?

Or perhaps the compressor bearings were damaged in a move.

Or maybe the compressor is resonating or vibrating against another loose panel, even if there is nothing wrong with the compressor itself.

My gut feeling is that it would probably be uneconomic to have the fridge re-gassed, or the compressor replaced, like for a car. Domestic fridges should never leak because they are built in a different way to the air con for cars. If it's a simple vibration, then repair might be an option.

I hope this helps.

Regards
George
Thanks so much George !!

I havent noticed any leaks but will double check tonight - plus it seems to be as efficient as always so that could rule that out.

It hasnt been moved in the year we have been there so again hopefully that should rule that out.

It does sound like somethings loose as it is a kind of resonance/vibration type noise - i will take out all the drawers etc and check - however if it was such a thing - would it happen all the time or does the compresser have different speeds ? - ie it happens only when the compresser is working hardest ??

Thanks again

Paul
# 4
George_Bray
Old 09-09-2004, 7:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Paul

I'm not sure the compressor works harder at some times than others, but I could be wrong. The main issue is called cycling; whether the compressor is off or on, and for how long.

There could also be a manufacturing fault, I guess, whereby the compressor is just noisy. A domestic fridge is almost hermetically sealed with a charge of refrigerant, which varies between a gas and a liquid at various stages of the cooling process, plus a quantity of oil, which is carried round by the refrigerant. The purpose of the oil is to lubricate the compressor. If gas is leaking, then oil will also escape and the compressor would start making a noise in the absence of enough lubrication, on its way to complete failure.

There are other more obscure reasons why the compressor may make a noise, but all these reasons come within the category of 'uneconomic repair' in my opinion. The best hope you have, is that the noise is really just vibration.

Regards
George
# 5
janet 123
Old 21-04-2010, 1:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

HI

My fridge freezer is only two years old and i dont know why it has suddnely stopped working, all lights on inside and outside but warm inside also the beepng sound when door left open no longer makes that sound, who do i call if 12 months warrenty over and its still like new, and i dont want to pay a fortune.
i have tryed turnng it on and off also nothing happening help ....
# 6
kwatt
Old 21-04-2010, 4:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi Janet,

A make and model would be helpful as well as what type it is, frost free, normal etc.

K.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
# 7
pimento
Old 26-04-2010, 6:11 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Sorry to hijack this, but I have an LG side by side fridge freezer (without the external ice dispenser) and it has been moved around our kitchen a few times in the past three weeks while we've been having work done in our kitchen.

I've noticed a slow, intermittant dripping noise coming from low down inside the back of the fridge. I'm pretty sure it wasn't making this noise before. The fridge is due to be move yet again this week (for the last time hopefully) when our flooring is laid.

The temperature seems OK in both the frisge and the freezer, but I'm worried that moving it around so much has damaged it in some way.

It's about five years old, so well out of guarantee.

Any ideas?
# 8
pimento
Old 27-04-2010, 9:49 AM

Shamelessly bumping this...
# 9
tracy71
Old 31-07-2010, 12:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Was wondering if anyone can help me I have a samsung RL41WGTB fridge freezer that is only 13 months old & has stopped working there is also a constant clicking noise coming from behind the appliance has any one else had a problem like this
# 10
Jake'sGran
Old 04-08-2010, 10:59 AM

I am worried about ours as I hate the thought of things going off. The fridge is warm and freezer is as normal, things freeze. I bought a new thermostat as recommended on here. Boss man convinced he fitted it correctly but nothing has changed. Now frantically looking for new FF
but cannot find one of the right size (148cms tall). It's just all too much By the way, the FF does make the usual noises like turning itself on and then off. I even heard some noises like ice cracking but situation still the same.
# 11
fontmell
Old 29-09-2010, 8:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi,

Followed this thread with interest.

I have a Hotpoint fridge freezer which works fine. However it is really noisy, occasionally sounding like falling rocks. Probably the sound of breaking & falling ice. I have tried to sneak up on it when the noise starts but haven't managed to pinpoint it.

Any ideas gratefully received - it's keeping th dog awake!.

Regards - Andy
# 12
yelloworb
Old 26-02-2011, 8:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi we have a hotpoint f/f and have discovered a small tear in the inside of the freezer about half an inch- the temp is fine- can anyone tell me if this will affect the freezer in anyway. The damage was caused by the freezer draw, a piece had broken off and pierced the side- I do not want to replace the draws if the freezer is useless- thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to yelloworb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
ttlo
Old 02-05-2011, 2:48 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Fridge Freezer Smells

Hello Everyone.
I have also been reading this thread carefully to see if anyone has been having problems with horrible odours from their fridge freezers !

This is something i had never experienced in my life before and hence tried deepcleaning my entire kitchen before i finally concluded it was my fridge ( and specifically the back of my fridge ) that was letting out an absolutely vile smell.

I have read people are having trouble with noisy compressors.. and im guessing that might be the next problem i will face..

Has anyone here actually called over an engineer to look at their fridge freezer for noisy parts or vile smells ? how much does it cost to replace a compressor ?

Appreciate any tips and BTW i have a BEKO CDA 565FW and it is not even one year old..so disappointed and cannot even enter my kitchen !

Thanks
# 14
kwatt
Old 03-05-2011, 10:02 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi,

Smells from fridges etc. can only really be caused by something in them or, something spilled on/in them. I wrote an article on the subject here that might help explain a bit further.

To replace a compressor although, that will not in any way, shape or form cause an odour, will cost the thick end of 200 on that machine I'd expect.

HTH

K.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
# 15
NettyB
Old 18-05-2011, 4:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Hotpoint Future FF200E Fridge/Freezer

Hi there,

I don't know if anyone can help me but here goes anyway.

Our Hoptpoint fridge isn't running cold enough even though it's on a boost and at it coldest setting. It hasn't been open or moved or anything. Does anyone have any idea what it might be, if it's something that someone might be able to fix if we get someone out?

Thanks
Annette
# 16
kwatt
Old 19-05-2011, 12:07 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi Annette,

You'd need to offer up a lot more information on the fridge freezer, like the model number to start with for any help. But, in the interim, I've written several guides that may help that you can access here. Reading through those may well help you to understand the problem if not solve it.

HTH

K.
# 17
smile7777
Old 26-07-2011, 12:37 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Problem: Frost and ice form in my KitchenAid side by side freezer and my fridge is not cold enough 2 days after completely defrosting the freezer coils. Initially both the refrigerator and freezer get cold after I manually defrost the coils/fins (condenser?) in the freezer compartment. The blower fan above the coils/fins in the freezer is clean and works quietly. It seems that the blower is always running. After a day or two the refrigerator has little cool air blowing into it from the freezer duct. I removed the control door/flap in the air duct from the freezer to the refrigerator to make sure that there was no obstruction of cold air from the freezer to the refrigerator. The return air vent from the bottom of the refrigerator compartment to the freezer is open and unobstructed. The under side and back of the refrigerator/freezer are clean and with obstructions. The drain from the freezer below the coils/fins is unobstructed to the collection pan below the unit.
Are these possible diagnosis/Solutions?:
1. defrost timer-it may be defective. (How do I Check/test it?)
2. defrost heater-if defective, replace it. (How do I Check/test it?)
3. defrost thermostat-if defective, replace it. (How do I Check/test it?)
Help!
# 18
Zeerust
Old 14-09-2011, 12:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Pabl rff 50/50

Tried to find a solution to my Fridge Freezer problem.

Its a integrated (built in) unit which I have removed to see if anything obvious. Make PABL ... Model RFF 50/50 ... just over 2 years old.

Compressor working, but a little noisy ... don't think it's the thermostat as both fridge and freezer not working ... so I think it's the compressor/heat exchanger.

Some of the pipes behind are getting hot but none are cold.

If the was a leak of the gas, how could you tell? My guess that it's not economic to repair.

Tried to call the service number but out of use. Have PABL gone out of business?

Pete
# 19
A Nice Englishman
Old 15-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default GDA BM20 Fridge Freezer

My integrated fridge-freezer has recently stopped getting cold.

I suspect it may be the thermostat as it doesn't seem to be switching on/off as the control knob is turned so I'd like to try replacing it myself before paying a repair technician.

Looking on various spare suppliers' websites a genuine part seems to be upwards of 70 eg http://www.yourspares.co.uk/parts/gd...C00215230.aspx

On the other hand, I see similar items for under 10 eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270789993655

Is it worth trying the cheap one? Is replacement simply a matter of pulling the capillary tube out and pushing the new one in?
You can find any answers you want on the Internet.It's working out which ones are right that is so difficult.
# 20
wen-tom
Old 03-10-2011, 4:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default samsung rsa1WTMH1 american FF

Hi, I'm wondering how, or if it's possible to find out what caused a compressor to fail?
I have recently had one replaced chargeable as samsung said it wasn't covered by their warranty. my worry is that the engineer didn't even look at it when he came to inspect it. just turned the FF on and heard a whirring/squeaking noise and said straight away its the compressor. The problem was it was not freezing or cooling (the norm for samsung!)

It was replaced and the old one was left here. not sure why!

My question is, is there any way to find out why it failed? the FF is only 2.5 years old.
Wendy