Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• fishybusiness
    • By fishybusiness 27th Apr 12, 7:18 PM
    • 1,010Posts
    • 606Thanks
    Infrared Heating Panels....Again!
    • 27th Apr 12, 7:18 PM
    Infrared Heating Panels....Again! 27th Apr 12 at 7:18 PM
    I've read other threads on the forum regarding the cost effectiveness of these panels. The general view seems to be that they are no better or worse than other electric heaters.

I'm interested myself as we live in a house with rubbishy 3kw Dimplex convector heaters, and have thought about replacing them.

I know the argument of 100% efficiency for electric heaters, but I think for infrared there is more to it. For example, convectors and radiant heaters heat air and objects, infrared heats objects, the claimed efficiency seems to be due to infrared not heating air mass that is moving or lost from the house.

There is a good report that explains in more detail the theory, anyone interested could Google "LITERATURE STUDY ON RADIANT HEATING IN A THERMALLY- COMFORTABLE INDOOR ENVIRONMENT" by Maria Nila Alban
Page 5
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 17th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    Any space that large will probably cost a lot of money to heat.

As others have pointed out, you either heat the people using focused radiant heaters, or the space using convection heaters. Although the former will leave large areas of the building feeling rather cold.

Large powerful storage heaters may be a possible choice, but I assume it is all metered from the main house. So without it's own E7 supply this could be difficult.

I would say it is more about getting the correct sized heaters for the property.

I do not see why the "best buys" are all made in USA. Are you sure you do not mean, the ones with the best marketing budget?

As many of the regulars point-out.....regularly....all electric heating is 100% efficient. It just depends on the power output of each heater that determines how powerful they are.

Check out the large range on a website such as this....

It should give examples of all the types you should want or need to consider. Look around for deals elsewhere as you may find them cheaper.

You may want to get an epc certificate for the space. That should enable you to calculate the correct sized heaters for the space.

Furthermore, if the calculations show that electric heating such a large space will be hugely expensive. It may be much cheaper in the long term to consider central (gas) heating.

So in conclusion, I think you need more specific calculations made based on the size, level of insulation and heating (power output) required to keep the space warm. From there you can do the maths and work out the short and long term costs or each heating solution. then pick the cheapest.
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 17-10-2016 at 2:36 PM.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 17th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    • 25,877 Posts
    • 12,424 Thanks
    Hi, I'm new to the site. Not sure if this is still a live thread, but if so would appreciate any thoughts on my conundrum. We have a barn, approx 90 mtrs2 and a vaulted ceiling 4mtrs at its highest point. We've used it as a 'second home' mainly in the summer, but are now going to try to set it up as a holiday let. It has a woodburner (12kw) and a number of oil filled rads. This is OK for part of the year but not sufficient for cooler times. So will keep the woodburner and ditch the rads. But replace with what?

My current thoughts are radiant heat rather than convection. Maybe an infrared in the shower room?

But dont know how to heat the main room so guests are happy. Ceiling is now insulated and clad (rock wool). Two end gables are not outside walls. But the other two are outside walls and non insulated stud partition. We have gas in the main house but i'm guessing it would be very expensive to extend it? Considering radiant heaters, but best buys appear to be only in the states. Also considering IR rads, or maybe a mix of all?
    Originally posted by Spinneyman
    As said above, to heat such a building will electricity will be very expensive and there is no cheap solution.

You might consider an air to air heat pump.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

312Posts Today

3,842Users online

Martin's Twitter