🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Dial 9 scam

Options

Comments

• Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    0800 REVERSE

d. Accepting the Call

To accept the call the receiving party should say “Yes”. To decline the call they can simply hang up or say “No”. Additionally, for calls placed via the automated service, calls can be accepted by pressing “9” or pressing “7” to decline.

So if someone rings you using 0800 REVERSE you are in effect paying for the call if you press 9.

There is no need to repeat what someone else has said and that I have already acknowledged!
  • fairenoughclough
    Options
    There is no need to repeat what someone else has said and that I have already acknowledged!

A man after my heart.
    Just for one moment, thought I'd found my way.
  • katrinamac
    Options
    We have been advised of a telephone fraud currently in operation -this applies to home and work telephones, landlines and mobiles.

If you receive one of these calls, upon answering the telephone you will hear a recorded message congratulating you on winning an all expenses trip to an exotic location. You will then be asked to press 9 to hear further details. If you press 9 you will be connected to a premium rate line that costs approximately £20 per minute. Even if you disconnect immediately, it will remain connected for a minimum of 5 minutes costing around £ 100. The final part of the call involves you being asked to key in your postcode and house number, which has other serious consequences. After a further 2 minutes you will receive a message informing you that you are not one of the lucky winners. The total bill by then will be £100.

Since the calls are originating from outside the UK, BT and other telephone companies are left relatively powerless to act. The only safe solution is to HANG UP before the message prompts you to dial 9, even safer HANG UP on any unsolicited 'free offer calls'.

There is another scam operating on mobile phones as well. A missed call comes up. The number is 0709 020 3840, the last four numbers may vary, but certainly the first four will remain the same. If you call this number back you will be charged £50 per minute.

People have complained about their phone bills, once they have realised the cost of the call, but apparently this is completely legal.

So beware, do not call back numbers beginning with '0709'.

:mad: :eek:
  • April2
    April2 Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    The first one's an urban myth - see the ICSTIS advice below:
    £20 PER MINUTE AND £50 PER MINUTE TELEPHONE 'SCAMS' - URBAN MYTHS

Over the last few days, ICSTIS has received dozens of enquiries about the above 'scams', which are being widely publicised by e-mail. To help us put an end to the current spate of enquiries, please pass this information on to all contacts.

In the first case, the apparent 'deception' takes place when people receive a recorded message informing them that they have won an all-expenses paid holiday and are asked to press 9 to hear further details. It is then claimed that callers are connected to a £20.00 per minute premium rate line that will still charge them for a minimum of five minutes even if they disconnect immediately. It is also claimed that, if callers stay connected, the entire message costs £260.00.

In the second case, the apparent 'deception' takes place when people receive a missed call from a number beginning 0709. It is then claimed that, if callers dial this number, they are connected to a £50.00 per minute premium rate line.

Please note that these stories are NOT true.

£20.00 per minute and £50.00 per minute premium rate tariffs do not exist - the highest premium rate tariff available is £1.50 per minute. Despite the dozens of enquiries received by ICSTIS about these 'scams' (and most people appear to have heard about them second or third-hand), not one person who claims that it has actually happened to them has been able to produce a phone bill to support their story.

ICSTIS urges any individual or organisation that receives an e-mail about these 'scams' to delete it immediately. Please do NOT forward it to others.
    The second one's not correct either - calls to 070920 numbers (from a BT landline) cost 47.5p/minute.
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
  • Aiadi
    Aiadi Posts: 1,840 Forumite
    Options
    This telemarketing issue is really getting out of hand and becoming more and more filthy. I can not for the love of god believe that BT or even the bloody government have no powers to stop these scams which would mostly effect vulnerable people. I have been registered with TPS for months now and complained the other day about receiving telemarketing calls from ONETEL to receive a letter from TPS telling me they can't persue with the complaint as I'am not registered with TPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I decided since that for every single telemarketing call that I receive, I will send another online application for the TPS until someone does something about it.
    Do I want it? ......Do I need it? ......What would happen if I don't buy it??????
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    I thought the maximum cost of a premium rate line (those beginning with 09) is £1.50ppm!
  • loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    Options
    er... i got one of those calls, it said i had won a holiday and to press 9... obviously i didnt, but my daughter probably would of.... i am also registered with TPS and are ex directory...

so who or what are these calls?

loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    loopy_lass wrote:
    so who or what are these calls?

loops
    If you 1471 such a call you'll get, "We do not have the number to return the call" - so probably they're coming in from abroad (which accounts for people like me, ex-directory and registered with the TPS, still getting them from time to time). My latest one over the weekend had a strong American accent but I suppose that doesn't mean much these days.

Just hang up on them or, if you prefer, leave the phone off the hook for 10 minutes or so - so it's cost them money.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • dag_2
    dag_2 Posts: 793 Forumite
    Options
    Is it a myth, or isn't it?

I take the point about 0800REVERSE - but even so, ICSTIS still seem pretty adamant that it's a myth. The difference with 0800REVERSE is that when you receive the call, they actually explain that you'll be charged if you press 9. Surely ICSTIS would know about this sort of thing? Like Paul says - surely service providers such as 0800REVERSE would have to clear it with BT first. You can't just run up other people's phone bills on the fly.

That's all very well - but the question is, how did the myth come about in the first place?

I don't know - but it might be something to do with this ... from http://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/tradingstandards/NewsPrss.htm
    "You've Hit the Jackpot, Now Dial 9!"

Have you received a call recently where a recorded message tells you you've hit the jackpot? Well someone has hit the jackpot but it won't be you! All you may receive is a £598 withdrawal from your credit card account.

A South Ayrshire pensioner recently complained to Trading Standards about a phone call she received one evening which starts with a recorded message that said "You've hit the jackpot now dial 9". By pressing 9 a telephone operator told her that she won $500 holiday voucher to America, in this instance Florida.

The caller, through conversation about a $500 holiday voucher began to turn the conversation towards a £598 holiday for six nights to Florida and asked the elderly lady a series of questions. The purpose of the questions was to obtain credit card details and sell her the holiday. While describing the holiday the caller asked whether she used a credit or debit card while on holiday to which she replied yes. As the lady couldn't remember what type of card it was she was asked to get it to confirm her answers. They even asked whether her credit card had expired - to which she replied no and confirmed that by giving them the expiry date.

This consumer alleges she was the victim of a deceptive phone call as the call was in the evening and out of the blue. When she questioned the caller what the call was about, the operator carried on talking about the holiday and even put her on to another colleague.

As the pensioner became more concerned she made sure that she contacted her card provider first thing the next morning, only to discover that her account had already been debited by £598. The woman was adamant that she didn't agree to purchase a holiday or agree to money being taken out of her account. The caller only gave the consumer an 0800 number to call and so far received nothing to show for her £598 not even the address details of the company.

As a result officers from South Ayrshire Trading Standards called the 0800 number to establish whether the caller worked for a legitimate company and why the pensioner's account was debited without her consent. Florida based telephone operators answered the call but had no explanation for Trading Standards. So far the company has not returned any of the calls from Trading Standards nor answered any of their enquiries. The matter is now being pursued with the credit card issuer.

The company operating this scheme is based abroad and therefore cannot be pursued by UK enforcement agencies and UK criminal legislation does not apply to it. As a result South Ayrshire Trading Standards are working together with the Office of Fair Trading to assess the scale of this problem and to alert overseas enforcement agencies to this practice in order that some action may be taken to stop UK consumers being targeted by this company.
    The news of an unexpected prize draw, lottery win, or a chance to invest in an exciting new moneymaking or investment programme is usually a warning of a possible scam. Promotions of this kind no matter how you receive them are an attempt to entice you into parting with your personal details or money.

It is estimated that UK consumers lose an estimated £1 billion every year to different types of scams which use low cost mass marketing techniques aimed at targeting as many people as possible in the hope that some of them will respond.

The Office of Fair Trading has recently been running a number of initiatives aimed at warning members of the public not fall victim to scams. The OFT along with other enforcement agencies around the world are working together to stamp out different types of criminal activities. As a result, there have been over 100 scam related arrests in the US and other countries.

Councillor Douglas Campbell, Convener of the Community Safety Committee warned: "It's an unfortunate fact of life now that scams targeting consumers are commonplace and new ones keep surfacing regularly. We are now at the stage where none of us can escape this type of activity. We are all under attack through our daily mail, our home and mobile phones and when we use the Internet."
    And he had this advice to offer, "Members of the public are advised to follow some basic rules that would help stop them getting caught out. First never call an unfamiliar phone number for claiming any sort of 'prize', especially if you can't remember ever entering any competition in the first place. Companies don't phone people out of the blue to give them fantastic gifts. If you've won a prize, then you should get it free, you don't need to pay a registration fee, pay towards part of the prize or make an expensive phone call to claim it."

This advice comes after a major initiative by the Office Of Fair Trading who declared February as 'Scams Awareness Month'. The OFT have seen fit to take this action due the increase in this type of crime which targets each and every one of us. The focus is on educating the public on how to spot scams and what precautions to take.

Now correct me if I'm wrong - but dialing 9 and being charged to your phone bill immediately is a bit different to dialing 9 and being talked into giving out your credit card number. No disrespect for the victim - I appreciate that the vulnerable elderly, and those with learning difficulties, are easily prey for scammers. But there's really no need for the rest of us to panic about it.

So far, the only 9-presser I've found was at http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/archive/index.php/t-19700.html - he said that he just got an engaged tone. He certainly doesn't say anything about any charge on his phone bill.

My guess is that the "dial-9" thing is simply a way for telemarketing companies to get a computer to dial numbers automatically, and screen out answering machines automatically, so that reps spend more time talking and less time waiting. Outside the UK, this is quite common.

If you do press 9, I suspect the worst thing that will happen is that you'll get connected to a very pushy salesperson. Most people don't like pushy salespeople.

Such telemarketing techniques are illegal in the UK. It's not illegal to get a computer to dial phone numbers - but it is illegal to begin a computer-dialled outgoing phone call by playing a prerecorded message down the line.

However, there's absolutely nothing stopping telemarketers from outside the UK doing it. Registering with TPS won't make the slightest bit of difference. TPS can only stop telemarketers calling you from the UK. They can't stop them calling you from India, USA, Canada, or anywhere else.
    :p
  • loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    Options
    yes i did 1471 and it said number was unavailable... ah well... so long as my daughter doesnt press 9....

thanks

loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport