IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Aircon Regas
Views: 42,334
# 1
Gavhough
Old 10-03-2012, 8:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Aircon Regas

Now it is starting to warm up a little, does anybody know of any good aircon regasing deals?
Thanks all
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Gavhough For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Sgt Pepper
Old 10-03-2012, 9:08 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You need to get the leak sorted first.
# 3
Premier
Old 10-03-2012, 9:53 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavhough View Post
Now it is starting to warm up a little, does anybody know of any good aircon regasing deals?
Thanks all
Formula One currently have a special offer for air-con regas of 29.00
"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
# 4
andrew-the-cat
Old 11-03-2012, 9:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I hate to say it but Kwik Fit normally do offers around this time of year for 25 or so. The machine they use is completely automated so before everyone starts jumping in and saying how incompetent their staff are, they *can't* !!!! it up. A friend of mine works there and did my car for me a few years back.

Be warned though if your air conditioning does not work AT ALL now it is possible it has a leak. This will need to be fixed before it can be gassed up and could potentially be very expensive.
# 5
worried jim
Old 11-03-2012, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavhough View Post
Thanks all
Hate to say it as well but Kwik Fitt will do a recharge for 29.99 and an aircon service for 49.
"Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
# 6
pinkmouse
Old 11-03-2012, 10:08 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I have just bought a car with air con. I've never had one before so I didn't know that it needed regassed. How often do you need to do this? The car I have is an 08 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 Auto.

Thank you!
# 7
worried jim
Old 11-03-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
I have just bought a car with air con. I've never had one before so I didn't know that it needed regassed. How often do you need to do this? The car I have is an 08 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 Auto.

Thank you!
Air Conditioning Re-Gas

It is recommended that you should recharge your air conditioning system every 2 years with gas and lubricant, in order to keep it running efficiently. This is not included as part of a routine car service and so it can often be overlooked. If your car is more than 2 years old it is more than likely due a re-gas.

This service ensures that your air conditioning system is working efficiently by testing the gas pressure to see if it has dropped. A drop in gas pressure will result in a loss of cooling efficiency which will make your engine work harder and in turn use more fuel.

Due to it's dehumidifying properties, when operating fully efficiently, your air conditioning system will also de-mist your windscreen more rapidly in cold weather.
"Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to worried jim For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
pinkmouse
Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks Jim. I will take it and get it done then
The Following User Says Thank You to pinkmouse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
worried jim
Old 11-03-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
Thanks Jim. I will take it and get it done then
If it hasn't been done for a while you should notice a difference, it will be as cold as a fridge, some place will give you a money back guarantee if there is no difference.
Albert Einstein
# 10
avantra
Old 11-03-2012, 6:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I hate to say it but KwikFit do the recharge for around 30, this includes topping up the oil in the AC system.

If the regas don't work they will not take any money. If you have a leak get it sorted first.
Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.
# 11
motorguy
Old 11-03-2012, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantra View Post
I hate to say it but KwikFit do the recharge for around 30, this includes topping up the oil in the AC system.

If the regas don't work they will not take any money. If you have a leak get it sorted first.
Definitely use Kwik Fit. If they cant make it cooler they dont charge you PLUS if theres a leak they will tell you where it is. The pointed the pipe out to me on my 407 and i got one from Peugeot for 12 and fitted it myself. Took the car back and they regassed it!

Regards

Paul
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to motorguy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
haribo85
Old 23-03-2012, 2:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Kwik-Fit

Sorry to reopen this thread... but what with the hot weather, it's reminded me that my air-con needs to be re-gassed sooner rather than later, and I am looking to get it done as cheaply as possible.

Looking on this thread people have said it's around 30 at Kwik-Fit, but looking on there site it's from 49.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
# 13
neilmcl
Old 23-03-2012, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haribo85 View Post
Sorry to reopen this thread... but what with the hot weather, it's reminded me that my air-con needs to be re-gassed sooner rather than later, and I am looking to get it done as cheaply as possible.

Looking on this thread people have said it's around 30 at Kwik-Fit, but looking on there site it's from 49.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
If you read the other threads you'll notice that they say KF often have "offers" to get it at the low price. Clearly the offer isn't on at the moment, that's all.
# 14
s b
Old 23-03-2012, 8:41 PM

its an offence to fill an air conditioning system if theres a leak so quick flit have to check this first so its not customer relations its a legal requirement

this was a public service anouncement
# 15
Premier
Old 24-03-2012, 9:22 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:

Am I missing something?

Thanks
As I said in post#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
Formula One currently have a special offer for air-con regas of 29.00
Offer still on. Why look anywhere else?

(All these automatic filling machines check for leaks and won't fill if a leak is found)
"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
# 16
worried jim
Old 24-03-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Went to finally get mine done yesterday and they have put the price up to 49 now the sun has come out. I didn't bother getting it done as I am confident they will soon have a "half price offer" of 25 so they can claim you are getting a good price. Everywhere I've looked is now 49. You snooze you loose.

edit-just checked Formula1 and they are still advertising 29- do Kwik fit price match?
Albert Einstein

Last edited by worried jim; 24-03-2012 at 10:46 AM.
# 17
Crabman
Old 24-03-2012, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worried jim View Post
edit-just checked Formula1 and they are still advertising 29- do Kwik fit price match?
In my experience they are competitive when they know a customer's not in the habit of issuing blank cheques. Give them a call, you lose nothing by asking.
I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

The Following User Says Thank You to Crabman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
avantra
Old 24-03-2012, 9:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Re gassing in winter is always cheaper.
Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.
# 19
stevec59
Old 26-05-2012, 3:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Any one know of any deals on at the momment?Halfords are doing 49,but I have seen people posting to avoid Halfords.

Steve
# 20
skintbuthappy81
Old 27-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As above anyone know anybody doing it cheaper?
Debt free for 2012

THE FUTURES SO BRIGHT....I'M GONNA NEED BIGGER SHADES