Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > How to deter dogs from going to loo outside my ho... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How to deter dogs from going to loo outside my house?
Views: 32,520
# 1
greentomato
Old 20-02-2007, 2:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default How to deter dogs from going to loo outside my house?

Hi Everyone

I've done a search but can't find anything on here. Does anyone have any tips for deterring dogs from using the tree on the pavement outside my house as their communal toilet? I've found lots of tips for deterring cats and foxes but not for dogs - do you think the same things would work?

Every time I leave the house or get out of the car I have to avoid stepping in dog mess. I know that it's the owner's responsibility and they should pick it up, but they don't, they just leave it lying around. I was thinking of putting a sign up, but that might cause a bit of friction so I was thinking of sprinkling something around the tree so that the dogs wouldn't want to go there anyway.

Any suggestions welcome! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to greentomato For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
sandieb
Old 20-02-2007, 2:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What about this
http://www.pestfree.co.uk/dogcat.htm

Not sure how effective the sonic type repellents are. At £30 a bit dear perhaps, but if it works well, then worth it!
The Following User Says Thank You to sandieb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
woofwoofwoof
Old 20-02-2007, 2:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We have a little kitten and at christmas he kept pulling over the tree, I read somewhere that cats don't like the smell of Olbas oil so I sprinkled some of it around the base of the tree and when he went near the tree it was as if he'd had an electric shock he jumped back so quickly. You could try sprinkling some of it around the base of the tree to see if it works with dogs as well. It won't harm them in any way. In case you don't know Olbas oil is the stuff you get to drip onto handkerchiefs and then you breathe in the smell to unblock your nose when you have a cold.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woofwoofwoof For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Pink.
Old 20-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi greentomato,

Some of the suggestions on this thread on the In My Home board may help:

Stop dogs pooing??

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
judderman62
Old 20-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

shoot them ? :confused:
Hate and I do mean Hate my apple Mac Computer - wish I'd never bought the thing
Do little and often
Please stop using the word "of" when you actually mean "have" - it's damned annoying
# 6
hazzie123
Old 20-02-2007, 11:52 PM

Lion wee works,bit hard to come accross though.
sorry it`s not very helpful.
Debt Free Date:10/09/2007
# 7
Solomon_Broad
Old 21-02-2007, 12:47 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Try something strong smelling, like the Olbas oil previously mentioned. Or throw it at the owner if you can catch whoever is doing it.
# 8
whatatwit
Old 21-02-2007, 8:38 AM

If I see an owner letting their dog foul on the pavement in front of my house, I go out with a bag and shout after them....*excuse me, I think you've forgotten something* they usually mumble that they haven't got a bag or some such nonsense, at which point I produce the bag and then stand and watch them clear it up.

We have an open front and park the cars on it, so any mess on the pavement gets picked up by the tyres and then tramped into the house.

It does help that we live on a busy road and there is usually a queue of traffic watching the embaressed owner.
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
# 9
mouseymousey99
Old 21-02-2007, 9:13 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Does your local council have a dog warden? May be worth a phone call as they can put up notices on the street lights etc to warn dog owners to clean up..
# 10
taplady
Old 21-02-2007, 9:51 AM

we have a similar problem but its cats that keep fowling on our front lawn next doors cat! why dont they train it to use a litter box:confused: we have 3 dogs and wouldn't dream of letting them go anywhere outside of our garden without picking it up in a bag! its very tempting to go and chuck it back over next door onto their garden!:rolleyes:
Every penny saved is a penny saved
# 11
whistler-alison
Old 21-02-2007, 10:32 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would make a complaint to the council. I had the same problem where I used to live - it was like one big dog toilet from my flat to the station - a ten minute walk.

The council were sympathetic but they only had two dog wardens for the whole borough and unless I was aware of a regular offender who came round at a certain time they said that the wardens wouldn't be able to help because they cannot sit in one road all day. Unfortunately, I couldn't help because I was at work all day and couldn't identify anyone, but maybe you are aware of someone who is not picking up after their dog and the warden could stake the tree out when they are due to come?

However, what the council DID do was spray "clean it up" stencils at intervals on the pavements around the area which I think did help to some extent. Maybe the council could do this around your tree?

I did ask why the council didn't have signs up on lamposts like they used to do saying "dog fouling fine £50" but I was told that because they were not sightly -like a pile of dog poo is more sightly? :confused:

Outside of my flat was a particular problem and sometimes, by the size of the mess, I would have thought the dog was in fact a small pony Whenever I saw a mess I would phone the council and they would send a cleanup team (or at least they would say they were - sometimes it would still be there when I got home).

Finally, for good measure I also got in touch with my councillors. Probably didn't do much good, but I got responses and only pressure can persuade them to put more in the budget for it.

As you have probably guessed from the amount I have written on the subject, this is a real pet hate of mine. I am not a dog hater and do not blame the dogs but the owners. People who do not clean up are selfish and antisocial and it just shouldn't be tolerated any more than anyone who went out themselves and had a crap on the street.
The Following User Says Thank You to whistler-alison For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
greentomato
Old 21-02-2007, 1:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks everyone for your replies. (I didn't think of looking on the 'In My Home' board.) And at least I know that I am not alone in finding this so annoying!!

I'll try the Council option. I've got an idea of who is doing it, but he's a bit of a scary looking bloke and the dogs are the bulldog type ones, so to be honest I was too nervous to approach him. I am at home a lot so I shall be keeping note, but I don't think he has a regular dog-walking time. The problem is that the tree is obscured from my front window by a bush, so I'll have to go outside and watch him. I suppose I could pretend to be putting some rubbish out, or watering a plant, or something!

I've also heard that sprinkling pepper and chilli powder around works, and I've got some Olbas oil too.

I have a little toddler who is crawling around and just starting to walk, and so I really don't want to get any mess into the house.

** Just to update - I've looked at my Council's website and to report any environmental issues like dog fouling, you have to take a photo and send it to their website! So I've been out taking photos of dog poo, and sprinkling Olbas oil around. The neighbours must think I'm mad.

Last edited by greentomato; 21-02-2007 at 2:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to greentomato For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
sandieb
Old 21-02-2007, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hope your efforts are successful - let us know how you get on. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to sandieb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
flufff
Old 21-02-2007, 3:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

take a photo of the bloke and post it to dog warden.Let him see you doing it and he may think twice.If he doesnt follow him home and post the poo through his front door
# 15
Februarycat
Old 21-02-2007, 4:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We have the same problem; they like to do it at the end of our drive and last weekend there was a big pile of poo, dh has now cleaned it up last night. The dogs seem to like the small low bushes at the front. dh has banged on the window to some people who let their dogs use the path near us, they soon scurry away. I will try the Olbas oil, thanks for the tip.
# 16
greentomato
Old 21-02-2007, 5:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Latest Update - the Council refuse service have been and removed the doo mess already! Result. Very efficient service, and saves me having to go out there with plastic bags and a peg on my nose. Makes my Council tax bill seem worthwhile after all.

Hopefully with the old poo gone, and all the olbas oil etc I've been chucking around, the dogs won't want to visit my bit of the street again...
# 17
HariboJunkie
Old 21-02-2007, 6:49 PM

Location: On the stairs picking up toys before someone breaks their neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatatwit
If I see an owner letting their dog foul on the pavement in front of my house, I go out with a bag and shout after them....*excuse me, I think you've forgotten something* they usually mumble that they haven't got a bag or some such nonsense, at which point I produce the bag and then stand and watch them clear it up.

We have an open front and park the cars on it, so any mess on the pavement gets picked up by the tyres and then tramped into the house.

It does help that we live on a busy road and there is usually a queue of traffic watching the embaressed owner.
me too!!!
We phone the council and got sent a sign saying that owners who allowed their dogs to foul would be fined. Only helps if the dogs are accompanied by owners unless the dog itself can read.
I've tried gardening, yoga, meditation and medication and I still want to scream.

Saved in 2012 £6087. Saved so far in 2013 £500.
# 18
nicki
Old 22-02-2007, 12:58 PM

We have a similar problem, I've given up though. If I was to suggest to some people around here that they should "Poopscoop" I would get knifed or my windows put in I just go out with a couple of bags on my hand and pick it up or swill the pavement until its gone if I can't pick it up. In the area it's got so bad I now walk around looking down at the pavement ahead of me so I can avoid it

Funnily enough an article about it is in this weeks local free paper Liverpool city council have made £5,000 in fines already this year at £50 a time They're finally starting to crack down on it
Total Debt: (31/12/10: £8800.40, 31/12/11:£8513.87, 31/12/12:£8414.68) 31/12/13 : £8226.88 - not much of a drop but I paid £500 out for DD to go to Paris with school!

Starting to wonder if life will stop throwing poo things at me and let me pay off my debts?
# 19
Seakay
Old 22-02-2007, 1:24 PM

Peppermint oil and is good as well; I use it dilute in a spray to deter my cat from scratching on certain garden plants and have found it to be more effective than citronella.
Well done for contacting the council - it really is a case of he who makes the most fuss gets the most done!
The Following User Says Thank You to Seakay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
lisle
Old 22-02-2007, 2:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

we had this problem too with dirty pavements & driveways. after several neighbours complained to the council, the dog warden has been round & put up the 'fouling notices'. when i rang they suggested that a good deterrent was jayes fluid, which i have tried & seems to have done the trick (it's really strong, smelly stuff and shouldn't be used on plants, grass etc, but it's killed the weeds on the drive)
I'm in the £2.00 club! terramundi cracked open Christmas Day £748 Started a new one Boxing Day!