Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jonny Red
    • By Jonny Red 6th Feb 12, 7:00 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 63Thanks
    Jonny Red
    A good tin opener?
    • 6th Feb 12, 7:00 PM
    A good tin opener? 6th Feb 12 at 7:00 PM
    Hello all

Don't know if its me being a bit hamfisted but I seem to be going through tin openers at roughly the same rate as tins. I can't figure out what's wrong with them as the mechanism seems to be working fine but they just won't rotate the tin to open it.

I don't want to spend a fortune but if it comes to spending a bit more on a tin opener that's going to work for more than a month then that's what I'd rather do.

Any recommendations?

'fanks

J
Page 1
  • modern millie
    • 6th Feb 12, 7:23 PM
    • 6th Feb 12, 7:23 PM
    Have you tried Brabantia? This is the only one my daughter (aged 17) seems to be able to manage with ease. Not the cheapest, but sturdy.
  • LondonDreamer
    • 6th Feb 12, 7:24 PM
    • 6th Feb 12, 7:24 PM
    I swear by my Good Grips snap lock tin opener. Had it for about two years now, and the only one I haven't wanted to throw out the window.
  • seafarers_wife
    • 6th Feb 12, 7:25 PM
    • 6th Feb 12, 7:25 PM
    I have this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-Touch-Automatic-Opener-White/dp/B003IHUH8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328556239&sr=8-1 and I love it, I hate tin openers but this I the best I've found for me. I did buy it from Oakland when they stocked it so if it was rubbish I could return it.
  • kittycatface
    • 6th Feb 12, 11:10 PM
    • 6th Feb 12, 11:10 PM
    good post johnny we have gone through 2 "value" tin openers in 6months. i think i will try the one on amazon and wait for a triple pts offer to make it a bit cheaper in the long run. many thanks everyone
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 6th Feb 12, 11:22 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    • 6th Feb 12, 11:22 PM
    • 6th Feb 12, 11:22 PM
    My parents went through a stage when I was a child of trying almost every tin opener on the market - within reason, and within budget. Very few of them lasted much more than about 6 months. In the end, a cheapy all-metal one lasted the longest. An expensive automatic one came a close second! (Can't remember the brand, just that Dad was pretty angry when it gave up the ghost as he had expected it to last a bit longer, due to the price and the fact that it was a 'known' brand. Of course, it was just out of warranty when it died...)

I now have a similar, all-metal, basic opener (probably from either Tesco or Argos) which has lasted 8 years and counting! The blade part is getting a bit dull now, but it still works.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
    • Rainy-Days
    • By Rainy-Days 7th Feb 12, 8:59 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 14,454 Thanks
    Rainy-Days
    • 7th Feb 12, 8:59 AM
    • 7th Feb 12, 8:59 AM
    I thought it was just us!!

We wne through no end of tin openers as well. In the end I bought a really cheap basic 49p one from Wilkinsons and it has lasted them all out the longest! The metal wheel on your finger can be a bit tender but in the grand scheme of things I am not having to return them back to shops because they have gone to the tin opening graveyard!!
  • anguk
    • 7th Feb 12, 10:22 AM
    • 7th Feb 12, 10:22 AM
    I have this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-Touch-Automatic-Opener-White/dp/B003IHUH8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328556239&sr=8-1 and I love it, I hate tin openers but this I the best I've found for me. I did buy it from Oakland when they stocked it so if it was rubbish I could return it.
    Originally posted by seafarers_wife
    We've got one of those too and it's brilliant. I've used a variety of different types of tin openers over the years and found they only ever lasted a little while before becoming useless, the plain bog standard cheapy metal ones lasted the longest. Then OH lost the use of his left hand and couldn't use a tin opener (most seem to need 2 hands) so I bought a Culinare for him to try. I wish I'd bought one years ago, it's never failed yet, even on bashed tins.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • Stephen Leak
    • 7th Feb 12, 10:24 AM
    • 7th Feb 12, 10:24 AM
    You also have to factor in which way they work. Some cut down through the lid. Some cut in through the side. Allegedly, the second method is safer, as you don't get the sharp edge around the lid. OK, but you get a sharp edge all around the top. With the "top down" method, the potentially dangerous lid would fit into the empty can.

Of the "side in" ones, the Culinaire MagiCan is well regarded. I also got my elderly mother one of their automatic electric ones, and was most impressed with it. It was fun being able to leave it to get on with opening a can, as you did something else. However, I ended up also having to buy the manual one as a back up, after the batteries ran out one day and she couldn't change them and open the can.
    Last edited by Stephen Leak; 08-02-2012 at 9:22 AM.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 7th Feb 12, 10:30 AM
    • 11,512 Posts
    • 11,165 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    I agree that the best ones are the cheap, metal "butterfly" ones.

Having said that, our current one is from Papmered Chef and is pretty good. Personally I'd prefer a normal one, but this comes the best second that we've found.
    • jools27
    • By jools27 7th Feb 12, 10:33 AM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 11,096 Thanks
    jools27
    I had a Brabantia tin opener for 16 years, it finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago. I have replaced it with a brushed stainless steel one from morrisons, and it works a treat, very smooth and easy on the fingers, think it cost about £3 or thereabouts.
    • raspberry collins
    • By raspberry collins 7th Feb 12, 11:47 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    raspberry collins
    Another vote here for the Brabantia ...
    • daska
    • By daska 7th Feb 12, 12:11 PM
    • 6,011 Posts
    • 11,915 Thanks
    daska
    Another vote here for the culinaire, it's brilliant. My mum loved it as well and promptly bought 2 cheap copies that fell apart within a few weeks.
    • kayl
    • By kayl 7th Feb 12, 12:54 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    kayl
    Another vote for cheapies - mine is from Ikea, and cost, I think 79p!
    • kittendothroar
    • By kittendothroar 7th Feb 12, 2:31 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    kittendothroar
    I am so glad to find this! I recently moved home and inherited an awful one so needing to replace it asap! When I lived with the ex should of taken the tin opener as worked a treat but can't remember where it was from.

My friends have gone through lots of them too seems to be a popular topic!
    I love food, hate waste and have a penchant for sparkly things :

Trying to find a work life balance...
    • PixieDust
    • By PixieDust 7th Feb 12, 2:47 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 4,029 Thanks
    PixieDust
    Ohhh we thought it was just us!!! We are constantly complaining about it in this house. It seems such s tiny thing in the scheme of things, but it's a really annoying niggle!
    • dogcat
    • By dogcat 7th Feb 12, 2:48 PM
    • 21,185 Posts
    • 23,233 Thanks
    dogcat
    I've got an electric can opener....it opens ANYTHING....wouldn't be without it...I inherited from my mum along with her teasmade.
  • mrsmadmand
    I'd like a recommendation too - but for different reasons. I'm left-handed and I cant use the normal metal ones....I get all cack-handed and in a muddle cos its back to front!! I've got a top-opening one but its on its last legs....

Can anyone recommend a good one for southpaws?
    In the words of Bill & Ted, "Be excellent to one another my friends"
  • anguk
    I'd like a recommendation too - but for different reasons. I'm left-handed and I cant use the normal metal ones....I get all cack-handed and in a muddle cos its back to front!! I've got a top-opening one but its on its last legs....

Can anyone recommend a good one for southpaws?
    Originally posted by mrsmadmand
    The Culinare One Touch, you just stick it on the top and press a button. It doesn't matter which hand you use, you could use a toe if you wanted to.

My OH has one hand and my DD is left-handed, both manage to open tins with the Culinare with no problems.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • sunflower76
    Don't know about one for a lefty MrsMadMand but I have a really old cheapy one that has lasted around a billion years. I've never had this conversation with anyone lol, so I didn't realise it would be an issue for anyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

211Posts Today

1,516Users online

Martin's Twitter