Online dating for seniors?

Options
Has anyone tried one that they can recommend? A friend said to avoid the "free to join" sites because people who pay a fee are more likely to be genuine and to treat it more seriously...
fitzroy

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    Plenty of fish is a popular one. There is a free section and a subscription section. If you have a smartphone you can use the Badoo app but it is for all ages not just seniors.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Finding your ideal match hundereds of miles away may not be much help, although I guess online sites may allow you to zoom in on matches by post code? Have you tried your local paper?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • fitzroy
    fitzroy Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    Finding your ideal match hundereds of miles away may not be much help, although I guess online sites may allow you to zoom in on matches by post code? Have you tried your local paper?

Online sites enable you to choose your area. I'm afraid newspaper ads seem very old fashioned and I'd hope to meet someone who kept up to date with technology!
    fitzroy
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Options
    Just because someone actually READS a newspaper, doesn't mean they don't know one end of a computer from the other.
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Options
    Also, with a newspaper, you can kind of guess at the sort of person they are : Daily Mail, Guardian, Telegraph.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    fitzroy wrote: »
    Online sites enable you to choose your area. I'm afraid newspaper ads seem very old fashioned and I'd hope to meet someone who kept up to date with technology!

Your priorities are different to mine. Computer literacy would be well down my wish list for my dream partner. I would be more interested in sharing time with someone IRL.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    Fitzroy just to add to my post above, here is another idea for you which is better than dating sites.

Get a puppy or a kite.

I guarantee you that if you go to a park or beach with either then everybody will come up and talk to you. Give it a moments thought and you will realise what a good tip this is.

Even today, while a puppy is no longer an option for me, I still keep a kite in the boot of the car, believe me it works every time.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you sign up to the Saga newsletter there is a section there for meeting people.
    I think it may be true Op what you say that if you're willing to pay to join a dating site there'll be fewer scallies, but there have been lots of stories that some of these dating sites make up false profiles to get vulnerable people to keep paying their subscriptions.
    I use PoF and to a lesser extent Smooch which are both free and have people of all ages.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    Fitzroy just to add to my post above, here is another idea for you which is better than dating sites.

Get a puppy or a kite.

I know when i first started work there was an old woman in the office who use to ask on a Friday;
    "Are you off flying your kite over the weekend"
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    There is freedating.co.uk, free to send/receive messages and has quite a busy forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure