IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Charge for copies of my bank statements
Views: 47,550
# 1
adelle
Old 30-01-2007, 11:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Charge for copies of my bank statements

I was doing my online tax return a couple of weeks ago and logged into my Smile current account to print out my year's bank statements only to find that they only allow you access to the past 12 months of statements. That meant that I couldn't print out about 7 months woth of statements. Smile customer services said that they charge 10 per each statement they send me. Is that allowed?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
EvilEdna
Old 31-01-2007, 12:08 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelle
I was doing my online tax return a couple of weeks ago and logged into my Smile current account to print out my year's bank statements only to find that they only allow you access to the past 12 months of statements. That meant that I couldn't print out about 7 months woth of statements. Smile customer services said that they charge 10 per each statement they send me. Is that allowed?
In a word, no. According to the DPA, they are allowed to charge you a MAXIMUM of 10 no matter how many statements you request. I would fill in the Subject Access Request letter and send it off to them.
# 3
gizmo111
Old 31-01-2007, 2:36 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEdna
In a word, no. According to the DPA, they are allowed to charge you a MAXIMUM of 10 no matter how many statements you request. I would fill in the Subject Access Request letter and send it off to them.
To clarify - yes theycan charge for statements if that is what you request - if you ask for info underthe DPA then a maximum fee of 10 is all they are allowed to charge
# 4
Soozie
Old 02-02-2007, 12:01 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy Duplicate statement charges???

I have mislaid by paper statements during some building work on my house. I contacted my bank to ask for duplicates and have been told they will cost me 5.00 EACH! So for 2 years of statements thats over 100.00!
Is this right? Sooz!
# 5
Edinburghlass
Old 02-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo111
To clarify - yes theycan charge for statements if that is what you request - if you ask for info underthe DPA then a maximum fee of 10 is all they are allowed to charge
Thats the answer!
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 6
Alison Fryer
Old 02-02-2007, 5:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Statements

I have asked Cahoot for my back statments so that I may claculate my charges and claim..I sent the 10 cheque as advised, they have emailed me today and said they will charge me 5 for EACH statment, is this legal????
# 7
Beate
Old 02-02-2007, 6:23 PM

No, it isn't. The maximum statutory charge is £10. Tell them you will report them to the Information Commissioner if they insist on charging you that much.
# 8
musette
Old 02-02-2007, 6:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Fryer
I have asked Cahoot for my back statments so that I may claculate my charges and claim..I sent the 10 cheque as advised, they have emailed me today and said they will charge me 5 for EACH statment, is this legal????
Hi Alison,
I'm new here so I hope you don't mind me responding.

According to the FAQ on the Consumer Action Groups website there is no need to pay more than the 10 Data Protection Act request.

Did you send one of the template letters or did you just write asking for your statements? As it says in the FAQ's that you have to make the bank aware that you are making the request under the data protection act. Otherwise they are allowed to charge you for the statements.

Here is the FAQ page that I got the information from I hope it helps.
# 9
Edinburghlass
Old 02-02-2007, 7:03 PM

This seems to keep cropping up as people talk of receiving their statements.

You aren't asking for your statements, it may be that your bank will send the information you request in the form of copy statements but if you ask any bank for copies of your statement they are quite entitled to charge you PER statement. From Martin's article, and if you use the template letter given in the article it has the correct wording.

Let’s be honest, how many people have all their statements for six years? If you’ve online banking access, first see what’s available there, if not send a letter to your bank requesting a fully comprehensive list of all past charges. You’ve a legal right to do this under the Data Protection Act. If you don't know where to write to MoneySavers have compiled a list of data protection addresses which should help.
Unfortunately they are legally allowed to charge for this info, the maximum amount is £10 and, banks being banks, they tend to charge the full amount. So to save time, enclose a cheque for a tenner in your letter.
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 10
sianb84
Old 11-02-2007, 10:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default can you

can you go into your bank and just ask for the last 6 years back statements?
# 11
xantia307cc
Old 14-02-2007, 11:26 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Talking LLoydsTSB the bank that loves to say no

I plucked up the courage to got to TSB to ask for 6 yrs of statements the reply when I asked for my statements was "what do you need them for?" I told them "to check something" "why?", I asked. She then went on to tell me that they will charge me a whopping 25 an hour to retrieve the statements, I chuckled over my dead body you wont. I then told her its a good job I have then isn't it and left. 25 they are trying to deter customers has anyone else been told this.

PS dont give them your bank account number 1st ask your ?'s before hand.
# 12
Toni Tax
Old 14-02-2007, 11:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Just ask for details of all your charges rather than every bank statement - this should costs only £10
The 'Toni' is as in Collette not Swiss

NEW to DFW
# 13
richingram
Old 15-02-2007, 8:46 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Charge for Copy of Statements

Hi

This is my first post in this forum so my apologies if this post is in the wrong place. I have gone through all the other areas to see if I could find the right place and this seemed the best.

My query is that my bank does not send out monthly bank statements so I normally print them out and I am afraid I missed 11 in total. The bank charges 10 per statement so getting these printed would cost a total of 110.

Is this seen as an unfair charge? I am happy to pay a nominal fee to get these printed but this amount does seem over the top.

Thank you

Richard
# 14
Bossyboots
Old 15-02-2007, 8:55 AM

I am sure they can only charge you £10 in total, not £10 per statement. I am sure someone else will be along to clarify soon.
# 15
Edinburghlass
Old 15-02-2007, 9:00 AM

They can in fact charge per statement, if its copy statements you are asking for. You need to use the letter "ask for charge details" in Martin's article and ask for all information regarding your accounts under the DPA and the maximum charge for this is £10.

Step-by-step Guides: Bank Charges: Reclaim Your Cash | Top New Bank Account Calculator: Charge them interest Template Letters: (right click and save) Ask for charge details |Initial letter | Second letter | Small claims note Get Updates On Important Changes: Free Weekly Money Tip
The Following User Says Thank You to Edinburghlass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
nickmack
Old 15-02-2007, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richingram
My query is that my bank does not send out monthly bank statements so I normally print them out and I am afraid I missed 11 in total. The bank charges £10 per statement so getting these printed would cost a total of £110.
You must request a details of your charges with a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act.

The maximum allowed charge for all of this information is £10. If you just ask for statement copies, you may be charged per statement.
# 17
Bossyboots
Old 15-02-2007, 9:05 AM

Thats it. I knew there was a particular request you had to make and I was just going to go back on other threads so I could repost the proper information. Glad you all beat me to it though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bossyboots For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
bantoi
Old 20-02-2007, 6:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation Whos wins, Abbey or Data Protection Act ?

Abbey charges 10 UKP per statement. And yet under Data Protection Act we have the right to get the info, including old statements, about us for 10 UKP in total.

So if I was to request bank statements from them under Data Protection Act would I have to pay them 10 UKP plus 10 UKP per statement too ?

Or would just one off payment of 10 UKP cover it ?

Thank you
# 19
Edinburghlass
Old 20-02-2007, 6:15 PM

If you ask for statements the banks can and will charge per statement, you need to send the letter (which quotes the DPA) in Martin's article along with a cheque for £10.
# 20
drawle
Old 21-02-2007, 9:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Halifax Credit Card - can they charge up to 100 for statments?

Having claimed back my bank charges on my current account I now what to proceed with getting my Halifax credit card charges back.
I spoke to a lady at Halifax and she said they can charge up to 100 for statments (I want all statments going back since I opened the account in 2003)
I said that acording to law the maximum charge was 10 and she said no this was wrong and it only applies to bank accounts.
Now I was under the impression that the maximum charge was 10 for any bank related statments.
Can anyone shed some light on this - as in what to say when she asks for 100 for my statments.

Thanks in advance to any replies