Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > Has anyone used zapper.co.uk for selling dvds / b... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Has anyone used zapper.co.uk for selling dvds / books / cds?
Views: 92,430
# 1
mrs.way
Old 10-11-2011, 2:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Has anyone used zapper.co.uk for selling dvds / books / cds?

Hiya,

I was looking on musicmagpie to sell my cd's and they were offering 30p for pretty much all of them. I want to get rid of my old CD's but thought I would see if there was anywhere else online to do.

I came across zapper.co.uk - never heard of it before but typed in my barcodes and they have offered between 50p and 2.47 for each cd which has so far offered me 5.07 for four cd's! A lot better than musicmagpies 1.20. I am going to add some more now as I have loads but thought I would check on here first!!

Anyone used zapper before?

xxx
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrs.way For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Shatnorry
Old 12-11-2011, 12:56 AM
PPR
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.way View Post
Hiya,

I was looking on musicmagpie to sell my cd's and they were offering 30p for pretty much all of them. I want to get rid of my old CD's but thought I would see if there was anywhere else online to do.

I came across zapper.co.uk - never heard of it before but typed in my barcodes and they have offered between 50p and 2.47 for each cd which has so far offered me 5.07 for four cd's! A lot better than musicmagpies 1.20. I am going to add some more now as I have loads but thought I would check on here first!!

Anyone used zapper before?

xxx
yes - r they too good to be true.

Fishy?
# 3
jhp
Old 12-11-2011, 3:21 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...ghlight=zapper
The Following User Says Thank You to jhp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
nessauk
Old 18-12-2011, 6:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Did you use Zapper in the end? If so then were they any good? Am looking for some feedback before I decide whether to use them.
Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished. ~ Leslie Nielson
# 5
WLM21
Old 18-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I tried to sell a few CD's on that well known auction site, some of which were my late fathers and never opened. The response was pathetic, but I suppose it depends on the type of Cd. Maybe nobody wanted brass band music.

But if you can be bothered, perhaps try some yourself, either as individual items, or maybe groups.

If they don't sell, you'll not have lost anything, assuming you have picked 99p as the starting price. Even starting prices up to 4.99 are only a few pennies.

If they don't sell that way, then sell through that site the original poster has mentioned.
# 6
mrs.way
Old 19-12-2011, 6:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

no i didn't - still don't know whether to ! xxx
# 7
jondunn
Old 03-01-2012, 3:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just sending off a package of 30 books, CDs and DVDs for which Zapper have offered around 25, will report back as and when payment made. I gave up on Music Magpie as website was so flaky, then discovered Zapper buy books as well as CD/DVDs, which is a major bonus - it gave values upwards of 1 for obscure business books I thought I'd never get 10p for! You do have to have at least 25 items hough whereas Music Magpie will accept packages of 10+ items.

UPDATE: happy to say that my books and DVDs were accepted the day after shipping and a cheque arrived 2 days later. Marvellous! Well done Zapper. Will use again. Also thinking of getting the school PTA to collect unwanted media from parents to sell via Zapper and raise funds for the school.

Last edited by jondunn; 07-01-2012 at 11:31 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jondunn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
deb13b
Old 06-01-2012, 10:18 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm just setting up a list of stuff to sell to zapper, was wondering if anyone on here has used them.
# 9
MATH
Old 26-01-2012, 2:53 PM

I have 7.25 listed so far and will trawl through the churches bric-a-brac stash to see if we can raise some money. Like a previous poster, obscure books, in our case theological studies, which we could give away, are fetching 1+
Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
The Following User Says Thank You to MATH For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
patman99
Old 26-01-2012, 10:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to patman99

Zapper are well-known to the charity sector. They have been around for years and act as a disposal portal for unsold books, CDs and DVDs.

Not quite sure what they do with them, but will be scanning a load of DVDs in to add to the books I have already scanned.
Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of 1,000 challenge - 74.50 / 1000 (that's 7.450%)
The Following User Says Thank You to patman99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
gastronomix
Old 26-01-2012, 11:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They dont seem to be overgenerous in their offerings, I was offered less than 2 for items I know would go for well in excess of 10 in a few test cases, however certainly convenient for moving on a quantity of items if you dont have the time or patience to bootsale or suchlike.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gastronomix For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
qotsadanno
Old 27-01-2012, 3:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Sent a load of stuff to them, cheque authorised on 17th Jan, but still no cheque received, so sent an email to chase them up.

A little bit concerned now. Anyone actually received a cheque from them yet?

Update: Received email reply within minutes apologising for a lack of expectation management and explaining that my cheque was infact sent this morning.
The proof will be in the pudding, which in this case is a cheque.

Last edited by qotsadanno; 27-01-2012 at 3:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to qotsadanno For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
frugalfrog
Old 27-01-2012, 5:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Every book I have tried says that they already have too many of them are there any other methods of selling books online, where you can get a reasonable amount for? I have had them listed at Green metropolis for ages & not received anything. Amazon doesnt seem an option either as there are loads listed under the supersaver delivery for under the 2.80 delivery cost for a 0.01 book, so no-one will buy mine!

May go old fashioned and do a car boot!
Mtg May 2011 - 127,500/118,328 (MF Jan 2036 - aged 50)
BTL Dec 2004 - 95,000/70,931 (paid Feb 2027)
Parents loan (0% apr) May 2011 - 14,000/14,000
0% CC1 - 2,500/1,371
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frugalfrog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
qotsadanno
Old 30-01-2012, 1:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

So Monday post comes and still no cheque! Uh-oh...
# 15
hitatotatus
Old 30-01-2012, 3:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi. A week after email saying they had sent chq by 1st class post, I too contacted them by email. They responded quickly and the chq was received two days later, so I would give it a couple more days before worrying, if I were you.
2012 in 2012 = 34.44
# 16
racingbrett
Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

We recently sent off 15 books to this company at a total value of 26 pounds, we recieved an email to say there was a high quantity of books that were no good and they would only pay us 10 pounds, these books that are supposidly no good were in fact near brand new books that were bought for my husband and not even read, they were kept on a bookshelf and had no damage.

to say im would be an understatement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to racingbrett For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
smt638
Old 03-02-2012, 8:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile

hey guys. i discovered zapper back in august so thought ide give them a try. used them a few times now, recieved the full ammount every time, recieved the cheque with in a week of it being sent. the only problem i had is when i sent a package in december due to it being busy over christmas took them 3 weeks to check it. the best thing about them is they take just about anything, ive sent old ps1 games, cd singles, pc games. magpie wont touch any of these. they dont give mutch for boxset dvd's or blu rays, but if you need to clear any old cd's dvd's that's been sat around for years there perfect. now if i could find somewhere that buy's v.h.s. ide be very happy.
also if you want to know what the do with youre items, they have a store on amazon but it may upset you if you look to see what there selling youre stuff for!

Last edited by smt638; 03-02-2012 at 9:03 PM. Reason: extra info
The Following User Says Thank You to smt638 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
nocareer
Old 04-02-2012, 8:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well, smt638.

Sounds like you work for zapper, so are biased. The fact you only have one post to your name.
The Following User Says Thank You to nocareer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Sally22
Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have used Zapper twice now, and would use them again. Always got the full amount quoted, I have only sent them books though.
Slimming World Member - Started 12/06/14 - Total Loss - 1 stone 7lb

The Following User Says Thank You to Sally22 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
angelbob
Old 05-02-2012, 5:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

im not a newbie nor work for zapper but i used them too, took a while but i got my cheque for the full amount quoted, so 106.xx (look in my sig, can't remember) for selling old stuff i would never have used again. xx
Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2014 #63
The Following User Says Thank You to angelbob For This Useful Post: Show me >>