Used items for presents!! Yes or No??

Options
Strapped for cash this year due to redundancy, pregnancy and related illness and do not forsee returning to work until early 2012. What do people think about giving Second hand or Used items to kids at Christmas???

Despite being a single parent household I have always give them decent amounts at Christmas but know I am not going to be able to this year. DD is 15 and DS is 8. Do you think its cruel giving them presents that are used etc. (Keep seeing lots of ideal presents for them on various sites that would cost lots more if they were purchased new)

Any thoughts on this please???

Thanks
I'm not a "SINGLE" mum, I'm a "DOUBLE" mum!:D

Comments

• juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think if it's something they want it's fine. If it's something you're giving just because it's cheap, it's not fine
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• eyelinerprincess
    Options
    As long as it's in good nick, then I don't see a problem with it.
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • phunkles
    phunkles Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    If its something they want/ask for why not. Once its out the box on xmas morning its used anyway.
    Would depend on the condition of it though really. Id want like new if i was getting a second hand gift.
    If your buying any old second hand item for them its just a waste and not fine
    Love is the answer. At least for most of the questions in my heart,
    Like why are we here? And where do we go?And how come it's so hard?
    It's not always easy,And sometimes life can be deceiving,
    I'll tell you one thing, its always better when we're together
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    Charity shops, ebay, gumtree, using discount vouchers, going to the sales, all useful, the kids will not have to know the cost of the present and if they have life in them yet why not? Car boot sales or not now too cold but jumble sales in schools etc perfect, where you get if from is beside the point, so long as it has usage still and is not fit for the bin perfect;)
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I don't see a problem. I hve bought from charity shops and no-one would know.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • rachelhen
    rachelhen Posts: 546 Forumite
    Options
    One year I had to do that it made me feel a bit guilty but was actually ok in the end, my kids were all young though. I am sure if you choose something they want and the condition is ok then they will be grateful. Your oldest willunderstand and the youngest probs won't care.
  • happy35
    happy35 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes I think its fine as long as it is in good condition, have a look around the car boots and ebay for what you think they will like.

I have bought a few things off Ebay and they look like they have never been out of the boxes

Amazon do have some good prices at the moment on DVDs that I have ordered as presents so also check this out as I found some were in fact cheaper than used

If your DD has asked for clothes etc you should be able to pick these up on Ebay much cheaper than in the shops, I find sometimes the new without tags are at a good price
  • bigmomma051204
    Options
    I truly dont see a problem with it. I probably wouldnt TELL them if i am honest (though technically i want my child to grow up thrifty and i DO encourage him to buy things from charity shops regularly!) thought i suppose with the older one, they might wanna know why there isnt packaging etc - maybe put it to older child along lines of "i can either buy you one brand new thing OR you can have these 4 second hand items instead" i know which i would have chosen LOL

I have mainly bought new pressies for my son (7years) for xmas and birthday this year but only cos i have found them cheap and bargainous online (also spread over the whole year so no major one off expense) etc.... BUT i have also bought a few charity shop items for xmas - he wanted a set of books which are no longer in print so have sent my mum (who is a charity shop nutter lol) on a seek and retrieve mission LOL... so far she has 7 of the 12 books. At between 15p-50p per book :j
    Baldrick, does it have to be this way? Our valued friendship ending with me cutting you up into strips and telling the prince that you walked over a very sharp cattle grid in an extremely heavy hat?
  • MarilynMonroe_2
    Options
    Yes. Dd has got a lot of charity finds this year for Christmas, and me and my husband always got each other 2nd hand stuff if we saw it .. I've even given my neice something I found on the pavement for CHristmas before!

It's all about the thought.
    1,2 & 5p: Christmas day food £9.31
    10 & 20p: misc savings £2.70
    50p: Christmas presents £3.50
    £2: holidays £2.00
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh i often buy my girls used things for xmas, providing they are in good working order and have all the bits for them and like said above if its so,ething they want then its fine. i have bought some right bargains for my girls at xmas, this year i got DD3 a dream town rose petal cottage for £37
    (ebay) and that was with all the appliances and furniture that are brought seperate and cost £££, my daughter will never know and i saved a small fortune! i dont see anything wrong with it personally. they do have new things too but i always look around for bargains!!!!
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport