IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Average water rates>?
Views: 145,941
# 1
Phonix
Old 10-03-2005, 6:38 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Average water rates>?

I'm not used to living on my own but there will come a point when I'll probably have my own flat. I was shocked to see how much people pay for water in this country. I see for some it costs about 30 a month.

Say I were to live in a taxband a flat. Now I know the average rate is regionally dependent. however what's the average cost on this sort of property likely to be?

So my questions are.

Average water rates/annum nationwide on,

Band A?
Band B?

Cheapest place for water?

I though council tax is expensive, I didn't expect water rates would come to almost half as much as council tax.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Robert5988
Old 12-03-2005, 9:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Water is charged by several methods and it is not possible to answer your question without knowing more about your intended flat. There are 2 main schemes(and lots of exceptions)

Modern properties from 1989 on normally have metered water and costs obviously depend on your useage. There are also standing charges and for sewage and drainage(if applicable)

Older properties can have their charges based on their old Rateable Value(RV) which are no longer in use for rates/council tax. Band A to H have no affect on water charges.

In general you are better off being metered. The exception is if you live in a property with a very low RV and use a lot of water although you should pay extra for hosepipe outlets.

I would think in a smallish flat with metered water for 1/2 occupants charges would be in the region of 12-15 a month.
Robert
# 3
funkymonkey
Old 15-03-2005, 2:39 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i live in a one bedroom house with my partner and we are on the old RV system even though the property was built in the 80's. our RV is 125 it basically means we pay 95 punds a year (9.50 over 10 months DD)
# 4
Robert5988
Old 15-03-2005, 12:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey
i live in a one bedroom house with my partner and we are on the old RV system even though the property was built in the 80's. our RV is 125 it basically means we pay 95 punds a year (9.50 over 10 months DD)
In the area I live in(Severn Trent) The cost for each 1 of Rateable Value(RV) is:

85.75p for water, 49.12p for used water, 26.17p for surface water drainage.

So for a RV of 125 you would pay:

107 if your sewage went into a septic tank

168 if you had a normal sewer

201 if everthing went into the sewer.

Presumably you have a septic tank?
Robert
# 5
carol_a
Old 20-03-2005, 1:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've just had my water bill for the year ahead and it's 585!! Payable over 10 monthly direct debits that's nearly 60 a month. There's just me and my two teenage children with the third child home part time when she's not at university. I looked on a "comparison" web site last year and typed in how many showers, loo flushes, washing machine loads etc I have (no dishwasher and don't use a hosepipe) to see if I'd be better off with a meter...it said I would be worse off! I think it's extortionate, we're obviously paying for them to keep the beaches clean (Cornwall) but I think it should be a national rate. If I do try a meter and find it's more expensive I don't know if I could get it removed afterwards. Any advice??
# 6
krazyk
Old 20-03-2005, 1:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Mine water came in a week or so ago and was 111 over 6 months, so no way near as high as yours. It's just me living in a little house.

I checked if I would be better off metered and it said I wouldn't, though I am looking at moving into a property that was built in the 1990's. I take it this will be metered then??

K
# 7
Noozan
Old 20-03-2005, 3:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Noozan

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol_a
If I do try a meter and find it's more expensive I don't know if I could get it removed afterwards. Any advice??
Hi Carol, my parents also live in Cornwall and on a rates, they currently pay 42 a month. It's only the two of them in a 3 bed house now that all us kids have flown the nest. I have recently arranged with SWW to get a water meter installed. If you are on rates, you can ask for a meter and if you find the bills are higher when metered, you have 12 months from the date of installation to ask to revert back. Hope this helps.
I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
# 8
Phonix
Old 20-03-2005, 3:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I've just had my water bill for the year ahead and it's 585!! Payable over 10 monthly direct debits that's nearly 60 a month. There's just me and my two teenage children with the third child home part time when she's not at university. I looked on a "comparison" web site last year and typed in how many showers, loo flushes, washing machine loads etc I have (no dishwasher and don't use a hosepipe) to see if I'd be better off with a meter...it said I would be worse off! I think it's extortionate, we're obviously paying for them to keep the beaches clean (Cornwall) but I think it should be a national rate. If I do try a meter and find it's more expensive I don't know if I could get it removed afterwards. Any advice??
Frankly I find it criminal that you're charged that much for such a basic essensial service.
# 9
carol_a
Old 20-03-2005, 4:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think it's criminal too, especially as I find their water disgusting and have to use a jug filter, the tap water always tastes like a swimming pool to me.

Thank you Noozan for the advice, I wasn't sure if having a meter was a reversible descision but, if it is, I think I will seriously consider it. Where abouts are your parents? I'm in Falmouth.
# 10
Norma Desmond
Old 20-03-2005, 4:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

God Carol - that's surely too much! There's just me and my husband but we live in a large 4 bed. 2 bathroom house and our water bill is around 25 per month!
# 11
carol_a
Old 20-03-2005, 5:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've only got a 3 bed semi, one bathroom, we always take showers, never baths but South west water are the most expensive in the country I think, we paid 500 last year too. They always say that the money is for cleaning up the raw sewage outlets into the sea etc but Cornwall isn't the only place in Britain that has beaches!!
# 12
Noozan
Old 20-03-2005, 5:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Noozan

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol_a
Thank you Noozan for the advice, I wasn't sure if having a meter was a reversible descision but, if it is, I think I will seriously consider it. Where abouts are your parents? I'm in Falmouth.
If you go to the SWW website http://www.swwater.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=498 you can use the estimator to see if you would be better off having a meter. There is also a questions and anwsers option at the bottom of the page which tells you about reverting back to rates if you are not happy.

My parents are in Redruth. I was renting up until the middle of last year but we couldn't afford to buy a shoe box in Cornwall so ended up moving to Fife where my OH is from.
I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....

Last edited by Noozan; 20-03-2005 at 10:30 PM.
# 13
carol_a
Old 20-03-2005, 8:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yes, the house prices have got ridiculous here too I agree. I've lived here since 1980 so only paid 12,000 for my first house! Thanks for the info about doing an estimation, I think that's the one I did last year and it did work out more than the bills, must be the four loads of washing I do for my daughter when she comes home from uni once a fortnight that bumps it up! At least you can go back to the set charge if you don't like the meter within 12 months so I may think it over again. Thanks again and I hope you're happy in bonny Scotland.
# 14
Cardew
Old 20-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The size of your property doesn't matter if you are metered. 4 people in a huge mansion will not, on average, use more water than 4 people in a tiny house.

There will be a small extra charge if the surface water drains into a sewer.

I can't see how 3 people, with the odd visitor, could have a bill of 500+ if they were on a meter. I would have thought 300 would be on the high side.
# 15
Phonix
Old 21-03-2005, 4:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you think about it, if you're paying extra to a water company to clean up the local environment then this means you're paying extra council tax.

I know council tax doesn't cover this but I think it should, the fact it doesn't just shows government isn't doing a very good job with its finances.

I have a problem with buying a water meter. I just think it's morally wrong to be charged for water per unit.
# 16
sidney786
Old 07-09-2010, 1:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Water Rate in Walsall

Hi,

I have just moved into a 3 bed property in Walsall, the posh part, but my water bill in 800 pa. Surely this can't be right???
# 17
Cardew
Old 07-09-2010, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney786 View Post
Hi,

I have just moved into a 3 bed property in Walsall, the posh part, but my water bill in 800 pa. Surely this can't be right???
Presumably you are not on a meter but are charged on the old Rateable Value(RV) system.

With Severn Trent 800 could be for a house with an RV of 400 - easily possible in Walsall(I wasn't aware it had posh parts

Look at the RV on your bill.

With a meter with say 4 occupants you should be looking at around half of that cost
# 18
leeroy221
Old 01-10-2010, 5:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi all,

I really wish mine was a cheap as some listed on here

I live in a 3 bed house with my wife and 6mth old baby. We only use one bedroom, no dishwasher, i shower 1 in the morn before work, the wife has a shower before bed, the baby has his little bath, the washing is done every saturday, 1 or 2 washes and there is no hosepipe. I pay 85 p/m with South West Water! I think its an absolute rip off!! We use very little but somehow they justify these huge bills, was paying every 3 mth but have just switched to the monthly because was struggling to pay the big bill in one go.

I said to SWW that the usage seems very high on the bill and that we use very little, they basically said just try to lower your usage and not to shower every day, cheek of it.
# 19
Cardew
Old 01-10-2010, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroy221 View Post
Hi all,

I really wish mine was a cheap as some listed on here

I live in a 3 bed house with my wife and 6mth old baby. We only use one bedroom, no dishwasher, i shower 1 in the morn before work, the wife has a shower before bed, the baby has his little bath, the washing is done every saturday, 1 or 2 washes and there is no hosepipe. I pay 85 p/m with South West Water! I think its an absolute rip off!! We use very little but somehow they justify these huge bills, was paying every 3 mth but have just switched to the monthly because was struggling to pay the big bill in one go.

I said to SWW that the usage seems very high on the bill and that we use very little, they basically said just try to lower your usage and not to shower every day, cheek of it.
Your problem I am afraid is living in the South West.

SW Water's charges for both metered and non-metered are over twice as high as some other areas of UK.

If you are not metered it will probably pay you to get a meter as your charges shouldn't be as high as 85 a month - even in the SW.

If meter did not turn out cheaper, you can always revert to your old charging basis.
# 20
leeroy221
Old 02-10-2010, 7:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes, indeed it is a pain living in the South West! We are on a meter and that has been there since we moved into the property 1 1/2 years ago. I always question the charges i get but i get very annoyed with their response of take less showers!

I am renting the property and as the meter has been installed since we moved in, can i still revert back to the old style rates?