Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 27th Sep 11, 4:03 PM
    • 5,609 Posts
    • 8,582 Thanks
    19lottie82
    • 27th Sep 11, 4:03 PM
    • 27th Sep 11, 4:03 PM
    I think a lot of companies register their xmas vacancies with the job centre?

Failing this just print off a pile of CVs and wander through town / local shopping area and hand them in to every shop!

I think you'll still have a good chance of getting xmas temp work, even if you don't have any retail experience. Do you have any customer service experience? If so, just big this up on ur CV. Good luck!
  • Jai_M
    • 27th Sep 11, 4:08 PM
    • 27th Sep 11, 4:08 PM
    Try Royal Mail...
    https://rmg.i-grasp.com/fe/angard.asp?KEY=53795096&C=987948365495&PAGESTAMP=d bpeqkjatxczrcinrj&nexts=INIT_JOBLISTSTART&nextss=& mode=1&newQuery=yes&searchrefno=&findjobrefno=Find +this+Job&searchpostcode=&searchpostcodedistance=0 &searchtext=christmas
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 27th Sep 11, 4:09 PM
    • 6,064 Posts
    • 4,112 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    • 27th Sep 11, 4:09 PM
    Best to speak with the managers of local stores.
  • Disenchanted
    Make a list of all the shopping centres within reasonable access to you (ie not somewhere 2 hour drive away :P) and go on the website, and look at the Job Vacancy page. I've done that with all my local shopping centres and had a few interviews that way.
  • SHIPSHAPE
    • 28th Sep 11, 11:15 AM
    • 28th Sep 11, 11:15 AM
    Be aware that RM will just use you on an ad hoc basis and will even send you home on a daily basis if the work is not there each day.

My nephew wasted a whole xmas period with these lot and ended up with just 4 full days pay out of a whole month yet was on standby every day and wasted bus fares when sent home when told not needed.
  • Hammyman
    • 28th Sep 11, 12:49 PM
    • 28th Sep 11, 12:49 PM
    I'm currently looking for employment, and had such luck yet.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any small name shops who may require seasonal temporary staff? I was told to look out for such as 99p Stores, but don't know of any other shops.

I don't have any previous shop experience, but we all have to start somewhere
    Originally posted by CraigS1974
    How about getting off your backside, putting shoe to pavement and going and asking in the shops? Around here, no shop jobs are advertised in the job center. Virtually all are advertised by a notice in the shop window and they all get filled. One part time vacancy at the local mini-mart was advertised by a card in the door and was up for just 6hrs before it was filled.
    • bluenoseam
    • By bluenoseam 28th Sep 11, 12:58 PM
    • 4,434 Posts
    • 8,218 Thanks
    bluenoseam
    • 28th Sep 11, 12:58 PM
    • 28th Sep 11, 12:58 PM
    I agree with Hammyman, of the major retailers i've seen advertising for seasonal staff only one of them has also used the JC (Boots) - the others which i've seen only advertise in the windows, same with permanent jobs to be honest, most of them don't use the JC because it's awkward & not exactly efficient to do so, why bother when you can stick a print out in your window and within 2 days have 50+ applications?
    • Mupette
    • By Mupette 28th Sep 11, 8:02 PM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 6,792 Thanks
    Mupette
    • 28th Sep 11, 8:02 PM
    • 28th Sep 11, 8:02 PM
    Be aware that RM will just use you on an ad hoc basis and will even send you home on a daily basis if the work is not there each day.

My nephew wasted a whole xmas period with these lot and ended up with just 4 full days pay out of a whole month yet was on standby every day and wasted bus fares when sent home when told not needed.
    Originally posted by SHIPSHAPE

did he get paid for the time being there whilst waiting to see if he had work that day.. i would assume he would been paid whilst on the premises?

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

• kachar
    Shops already recruiting near me : Boots, independent toy and card shops, phones 4 u, Card Fair, TK Maxx.
    Shops that wanted Christmas staff last year : BHS, Marks and Spencer, Perfume Shop, Argos, W.H.Smith, Waterstones.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 29th Sep 11, 7:41 AM
    • 31,511 Posts
    • 26,186 Thanks
    custardy
    did he get paid for the time being there whilst waiting to see if he had work that day.. i would assume he would been paid whilst on the premises?
    Originally posted by Mupette
    RM treat their casuals horrendously
    they have just created a new agency which should allow them to continue that

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/city-news/2011/09/28/royal-mail-recruitment-row-as-bosses-set-up-their-own-temp-agency-115875-23450723/
  • SHIPSHAPE
    Originally posted by Mupette
    No.

He would wait in the canteen at the start of a shift and, eventually, told if he was needed or not, more often he and others were not needed.

No work-no pay.
    • jess1974
    • By jess1974 29th Sep 11, 2:17 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    jess1974
    I've just picked up a few evening hours in my local co-op, there was an advert on the wall advertising the vacancy, i was just keeping my eyes open in every shop i went in.......
    • Gillyx
    • By Gillyx 29th Sep 11, 2:27 PM
    • 6,789 Posts
    • 23,451 Thanks
    Gillyx
    As someone else has said Boots, M&S, TK Maxx, Debenhams will all recruit Christmas Staff, as will the perfume shop and most jewellers, HMV too.
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
    • DKLS
    • By DKLS 29th Sep 11, 2:36 PM
    • 12,822 Posts
    • 21,523 Thanks
    DKLS
    Try some of the local catering agencies, there should be a shed load of bar work, waitering, and silver service roles available from the end of november.
    Silver service can be quite lucrative with decent pay levels and big tips for great service from drunk people.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 29th Sep 11, 2:40 PM
    • 27,771 Posts
    • 17,534 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Get out on your high street with your cv and ask the shops, try m&s, tesco, asda, argos.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • Truegho
    • By Truegho 29th Sep 11, 3:38 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Truegho
    But don't they accept online applications only?

Get out on your high street with your cv and ask the shops, try m&s, tesco, asda, argos.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 29th Sep 11, 5:50 PM
    • 27,771 Posts
    • 17,534 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Originally posted by Truegho
    the stores i mentioned yes except argos apparently accept application forms in store, what i meant was if the shop says apply online then apply online but there are employers who dont recruit online eg the works, mountain warehouse, milletts are a few i can name.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • TeaCake
    • By TeaCake 29th Sep 11, 5:50 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    TeaCake
    Originally posted by Truegho
    Not all of them, Argos have a 1 page form to fill out and I always attach a CV as there isn't enough room on it to properly fill out and Tescos have given out a paper form in the past.
    • Truegho
    • By Truegho 29th Sep 11, 6:08 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Truegho
    I have personally handed in an Argos app form, but the manager has never got back to me. Very depressing.

the stores i mentioned yes except argos apparently accept application forms in store, what i meant was if the shop says apply online then apply online but there are employers who dont recruit online eg the works, mountain warehouse, milletts are a few i can name.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

422Posts Today

3,053Users online

Martin's Twitter