PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

fed up now, won't sell

Options
cycloneuk
cycloneuk Posts: 363 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 16 September 2011 at 7:06PM in House buying, renting & selling
I think i have given up hope of ever selling, paid £159k at the height of the boom in Jan 2007 for a 2 bed detached bungalow and put it on the market in May 2010 for £149,950 - 15 months or so, and 3 agents later we are down to £129,950 and still not getting hardly any viewers.

Not sure if it is because it's a bungalow and we only appeal to perhaps the older buyer, been a few sales lately around here. Two 3 bed bungalows have recently sold and a 2 bed semi detached on the next street sold for 128k last month which was only 2k under what the sellers were asking.

It's not price putting people off i don't think, we are very well priced compared to other 2 bed bungalows, across the road is on for 15k more and most others are 7k+ more.

I have just had all new interior doors fitted and painted every where, just need viewers :-(

Comments

• hey cyclone

dont give up! my home has been the on market since June 2010 orignally at £180k now down to £149,950k in total i have had 4 viewings! but 3 other houses with 500 yards sold £15k over my asking price and they are the same style house as mine give or take a few things, dont worry, it will sell! :)
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    stick your postcode on here and find out how long it is taking to sell on average in your area...mine is nearly a year

http://www.home.co.uk/
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • cycloneuk
    Options
    geoffky wrote: »
    stick your postcode on here and find out how long it is taking to sell on average in your area...mine is nearly a year

http://www.home.co.uk/

Cheers for the link, looking on average at 11 months from those stats.
  • franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cycloneuk wrote: »
    It's not price putting people off i don't think, we are very well priced compared to other 2 bed bungalows, across the road is on for 15k more and most others are 7k+ more.
    Doesn't matter what they're asking what matters is are they selling? If not then they are overpriced so comparing to them isn't going to help much.

Of more interest are the ones you mentioned that sold, how much did the three bed bungalows sell for and how do they compare to you?
  • maninthestreet
    Options
    Do you have a link to the property on rightmove?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • cycloneuk
    Options
    franklee wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what they're asking what matters is are they selling? If not then they are overpriced so comparing to them isn't going to help much.

Of more interest are the ones you mentioned that sold, how much did the three bed bungalows sell for and how do they compare to you?

I think one sold for around 134k and the other 148k, before the flurry of sales recently around here not much was shifting. Not sure if perhaps people have been put off by the higher prices in Rhuddlan, we are around 15k to 20k more expensive than Rhyl a few miles away but here is a nice area with low crime compared to Rhyl and a retirement area.

Rightmove link http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31276315.html last time i posted a link the previous agent didn't stop bleating on about our excellent performance on Rightmove lol i did try to explain but went in one ear and out the other.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Is the back garden a low lower than the house?

I'd have shut the washing line for the photo

Maybe the lower level garden puts off older people?
  • cycloneuk
    Options
    poppysarah wrote: »
    Is the back garden a low lower than the house?

I'd have shut the washing line for the photo

Maybe the lower level garden puts off older people?

It is probably a foot lower at the back of the property but we have a decking area with 3 steps going down.
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    Agree about the washing line and your fence panels look like they could do with refreshing by giving a coat of sadolin or similar. Also could you soften the look of the reception room floor with a rug perhaps?
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • paulsad
    paulsad Posts: 1,315 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It doesn't look awful by any means - similar too ours - I think you will just have to be patient! crappy advice I know - with very few viewings you do get despondant and in my house we have an untidy son complete with his "surprise" puppy which means every sparse viewing we do get means manic housework (£20 on flowers and room air fresheners - you know the score!) usually resulting in lukewarm feedback, "oh its lovely BUT; a bit near the main road" or other such comments which we can do nothing to remedy.
    Our last house was a beauty with loads to offer but it still took over a year to go. The home website mentioned above gives a 156 day result but living round here and seeing the same properties up month after month I beg to differ. - Little is moving unless massively below market value.

Good Luck, chin up - just takes that one person to see it and love it like you did!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure