Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Vodafone to Change Prices from 11 Oct 2011 (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Vodafone to Change Prices from 11 Oct 2011
Views: 35,500
# 1
bbxsa
Old 02-09-2011, 3:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Vodafone to Change Prices from 11 Oct 2011

I just received a text from Vodafone directing me to price changes from 11 October 2011.
http://www.vodafone.co.uk/yourbill

Somehow they think they are "simplifying" the price plans by adding an extra 1.8% to my monthly fee by rounding it up to the nearest 50p. Since I pay my bill electronically/automatically each month by direct debit and usually have other charges on the bill...how does this simplify anything? It is just a lame excuse to put up prices.

I can't find a list of the existing call prices so have not figured out yet how the new call prices are different (except that 0800 and 0870 calls have become a bit more reasonable -- but only during a promotional period after which they are raised again).

It sounds like another one of their tricks to squeeze customers for more money. I think it is unfair to apply this to customers during their contract period and it should only apply to new customers. I am awfully tempted to try to get myself released from my contract on the back of this and move to a different network (I like T-Mobile for roaming and would potentially switch to them).

Any other thoughts on the new Vodafone prices?

P.S. The reason I want to leave Vodafone is they have been cancelling services and increasing prices on me for the last year and I am frankly quite irritated by it. Shouldn't they only be changing the rules on new customers and not on current contracts? For example, (1) I used to have an @vodafone.net email address which was cancelled, (2) I used to be able to receive faxes on my voicemail line which has been discontinued, (3) I used to be able to roam in the USA with BlackBerry data being charged in 1kb increments instead of the current £3/5MB/day. Now (4) they have decided to put up monthly line rental and who know's what other changes have been added in the small print. What would be the best way to approach them about being released from my contract?

Last edited by bbxsa; 02-09-2011 at 3:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
gjchester
Old 02-09-2011, 6:46 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The RPI stands at 5% any increase that is less than RPI is permitted and would not be considered a valid reason to break your contract.

Annoying as I'm on Vodafone too but nothing much can be done about it. Companies are permitted to make increases to allow for inflation althhough as you say given people pay electronically seems an odd reason to do it, why not say it's due to inflation?

With regards to the other issues did you complain at the time they were changed, if you didn't then it could be said by continuing useage and not complaining you accepted the change.
The Following User Says Thank You to gjchester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
bbxsa
Old 02-09-2011, 7:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjchester View Post
With regards to the other issues did you complain at the time they were changed, if you didn't then it could be said by continuing useage and not complaining you accepted the change.
I didn't know about the loss of the fax service until I next needed to receive a fax and then was mighty irritated to discover it gone. But it was too late to do anything about it.

As for the increase in the cost of data abroad, I did complain at the time but they said it was not one of their "core" services so I could not be released from my contract. I didn't know how else to pursue the issue. (However, ever since the change I have not put a single byte of data through my Vodafone account abroad. I have an old BlackBerry with a T-Mobile SIM. They charge £20 for 6 months BlackBerry service and £15/month to use it abroad. A really great deal I think and hence why I will be looking to change from Vodafone once my contract is up.)

I have basically decided that the next time I sign a mobile contract, I want all of the prices and services agreed to emailed to me so I have something in writing. Otherwise it is just too difficult to try to argue with them about what was agreed. (But I have my doubt as to whether they would even email me an agreement as the sales agents seem to say just about anything over the phone to sell a contract).
# 4
Guys Dad
Old 02-09-2011, 7:31 PM

I haven't got a problem with the increases as such. I still get a good deal.

What irritates me beyond belief, however, is the blatant misleading weasel words that insult my intelligence. "From 11 October 2011 we're simplifying our existing line rental prices."

No you are not - you are increasing them. You have computers that cost millions, I have a good education so we both have the capability to deal with the UK currency in coinage that is not a multiple of 50p. And, of course, any calls will make the bill not a multiple of 50p.

Just be honest, Vodafone. I am not a child, I understand about inflation, I understand that you are entitled to raise your charges. Just don't imply that it is because of any desire to simplify things!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Guys Dad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
simax
Old 02-09-2011, 8:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjchester View Post
The RPI stands at 5% any increase that is less than RPI is permitted and would not be considered a valid reason to break your contract.
However, my out-of-bundle call charges will go up from 21p/min to 35p/min, which is an increase of 67%. Much higher than 5% RPI.

Time to read the small print people!!!!!
I say it as it is - you may not like that but what would you prefer? A string of false platitudes that are no help whatsoever just to make you feel better? If my advice has helped, please press the Thanks button over here ----------------V. Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simax For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
bbxsa
Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by simax View Post
However, my out-of-bundle call charges will go up from 21p/min to 35p/min, which is an increase of 67%. Much higher than 5% RPI.

This what I thought but I can not find any information on Vodafone's site about the current call charges... I can only find info on the new charges.

I have emailed Vodafone to ask them for this info but I would not be surprised if they ignore the request.
# 7
simax
Old 03-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've read the T+C's now - you can terminate if your total bill from the previous month would be 10% higher or more under the new charges.
I say it as it is - you may not like that but what would you prefer? A string of false platitudes that are no help whatsoever just to make you feel better? If my advice has helped, please press the Thanks button over here ----------------V. Cheers
# 8
simon_says
Old 03-09-2011, 2:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
I've read the T+C's now - you can terminate if your total bill from the previous month would be 10% higher or more under the new charges.
It's time to leave my mins running so I go over by 10% from previous months
# 9
bbxsa
Old 03-09-2011, 3:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Vodafone's call charges page at
http://www.vodafone.co.uk/personal/p.../call-charges/
reads:
"Here’s the full list of prices you'll pay if you’re a pay monthly customer who connected after 31 May 2011."

Does anyone have a copy of the call charges for people that connected before this date? I am trying to figure out how the recently announced charges relate to the old charges... but can't find the old charges which relate to my connection date anywhere.
# 10
bbxsa
Old 03-09-2011, 4:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I called Vodafone and asked how much a call to an 0844 or 0871 number is. A very pleasant representative said it was 18p/min with a 15p minimum charge. She also texted the info to me so I would have a note for future reference.

Now, the new charges for 0844 or 0871 are 35p/min. This is a 94% increase.

According to the T&C's:
11(b) "we increase your charges in the UK which have the effect of increasing your total charges (based on your usage in the previous month) by more than 10% and you write to us before the increase applies;"

This means if you are going to push the issue with them you will need to run up a few minutes of charges to an 0844 number during September and report the problem at the start of the next month.

How many minutes? Well, if you are on a £30/month contract then 20 minutes of calls at 18p/min would be £3.60. At 35p/min this would be £7 and (7-3.60)/33.60 = 10.1%. Hence, 20 minutes of calls if your bill is at £30/month will get you over the 10% threshold.

Last edited by bbxsa; 03-09-2011 at 4:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbxsa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Guys Dad
Old 03-09-2011, 5:16 PM

sorry - error in post.
# 12
spikejrt
Old 03-09-2011, 5:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sounds like a company rounding up the 20% vat increase....
# 13
berjangles
Old 06-09-2011, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I checked my contract with vodaphone, and the 0871/0844 cost is already 35p/min today, so I can't get a 10% increase from that method. Out of bundle calls are going from 20p -> 35p.

Last edited by berjangles; 23-09-2011 at 1:35 PM.
# 14
berjangles
Old 08-09-2011, 11:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

In last few days I have rung the customer 'service' number 4 times and been given 4 different answers to what my current rate is for calling mobiles (outside of inclusive minutes); 15p, 20p, 35p, 21p.
The first three calls went through to the call centre abroad and the last one to the call centre in the UK.
I wouldn't have thought this is a difficult question for them.

Last edited by berjangles; 23-09-2011 at 1:36 PM.
# 15
berjangles
Old 09-09-2011, 8:48 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I called again today and got through to the Egyptian call centre. They told me 18p/min; so I now have 5 different answers !!

Last edited by berjangles; 23-09-2011 at 1:36 PM.
# 16
diamonds
Old 09-09-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbxsa View Post
I didn't know about the loss of the fax service until I next needed to receive a fax and then was mighty irritated to discover it gone. But it was too late to do anything about it.

As for the increase in the cost of data abroad, I did complain at the time but they said it was not one of their "core" services so I could not be released from my contract. I didn't know how else to pursue the issue. (However, ever since the change I have not put a single byte of data through my Vodafone account abroad. I have an old BlackBerry with a T-Mobile SIM. They charge £20 for 6 months BlackBerry service and £15/month to use it abroad. A really great deal I think and hence why I will be looking to change from Vodafone once my contract is up.)

I have basically decided that the next time I sign a mobile contract, I want all of the prices and services agreed to emailed to me so I have something in writing. Otherwise it is just too difficult to try to argue with them about what was agreed. (But I have my doubt as to whether they would even email me an agreement as the sales agents seem to say just about anything over the phone to sell a contract).
What plans that BB plan sounds ideal !
INSTANT RELIEF >>> ¬
# 17
diamonds
Old 09-09-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:

And that is a change of terms....MASS cancellation !
INSTANT RELIEF >>> ¬
The Following User Says Thank You to diamonds For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
samperry209
Old 10-09-2011, 9:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Do we have a leg to stand on or what?

I want to leave vodafone..they are really expensive.
# 19
alliz
Old 11-09-2011, 2:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

this is call charges if you sign up before 31 May 2011

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/personal/p...-may/index.htm

The new call charges is here

www.vodafone.co.uk/mybill

The price increase will only affected those taking the contract before 31May as those after that are already charge with this new price.

You will only be affected if your last month bill will increase by 10 percent if u apply this new charges to it. So for you to be affected, you have to use more minute than your minute allowances to call vodafone/ landline/0844/0871 numbers. If you go over your minute but only call other mobile company numbers u r less likely to be affected espicially if your call if more than 30 sec. and also vodafone reduced call charges to 0800/0845 and 0870 numbers so if you call lots of thesenumber will also decrease will bill. I upgrade in April this year on £20 monthly with 100 mins. Last month my bill was £50 as Igo over my minutes and all the call I've been charge with are to vodafone and landline numbers. I call voda CS on Wednesday to tell them i am affected by the price increase and thecs lady confirm that i will be affected and can terminate but have to write in to them. Very happy as I got a top of the range BB phone with the £20 contract which hopefully will last for 6 months if I am able to terminate. I did manually calculated the increase b4 I call CS and it will cost me extra £7 so more than 10% .

HTH

Last edited by alliz; 11-09-2011 at 3:01 AM.
# 20
dskerratt
Old 13-09-2011, 12:35 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi, this is my first post here, but hopefully a good one: How much notice do vodafone have to give me of these changes? As of now I have not had any notice of changes. I would like to get out of my contract (should it be possible) if they have made a mistake by not informing me in good time.