Is now the time to buy stocks/shares??

Options
Is the timing right now? markets are down, are shares on stockmarket a sensible long term (20yrs) option?

:T

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,602 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For the long term you mention, then now is certainly better than last month. We just cant tell you if next month would be better or worse.

You could phase it a bit over the coming weeks/months if you want to hedge your bets.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    gtub2000 wrote: »
    Is the timing right now? markets are down, are shares on stockmarket a sensible long term (20yrs) option?

:T

I was thinking the same thing - e.g. I don't have a "shares ISA" at the moment..... not just the general western financial malaise, but with London tonight..... it's a thought isn't it?

WR
  • techno12
    techno12 Posts: 722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Current turmoil has tempted me back into shares so I now have a S+S ISA ready to go tomorrow morning. I've been bagholding Citigroup for years now, so I'm wary of bank shares, and may go for a couple of shares that are just blindly following the footsie down as they should blindly follow the footsie back up again, assuming of course that it does recover (it ought to, but the Japanese Nikkei never did ;)
  • chrismac1
    chrismac1 Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Options
    The S&P 500 closed at 1119 last night and its 10-week exponential moving average (EMA) stands around 1295. So the index is 14% below the EMA. It is also heavily oversold on MACD and RSI basis. But back to the 10-week EMA.

Google Jack Schannep. His capitulation indicator cas called the bottom of bear markets to within 3% with 90% plus accuracy since 1960. That is good enough for me. I've had some fun shorting the market last week and being long of silver and gold. Today is going to be buying day.

Yes partly because we are due a serious relief rally, at the end of which I admit I'll consider more shorting in the short term. But for the long term stuff the Schanepp indicator is good enough for me.
    Hideous Muddles from Right Charlies
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    regular monthly drip feeding is one way to approach it over the long term
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • RobStaffs
    RobStaffs Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have set up Direct Debits for my wife and myself today as part of our ISA.A total of £250ppm.Still went for Cautious Funds with Aberdeen and Investec.Both in the upport quartile of performance over the last 5 years.Still not brave enough to take larger risks.The emerging markets seem overpriced and almost at their peak of growth but what do I now.Still not sold any of my existing funds even though they are taking an absolute hammering.
  • Hughesy84
    Hughesy84 Posts: 512 Forumite
    Options
    Some shares are simply going with the FTSE

Buy Astra Zeneca shares - you wont even need to keep them for too long, buy around £25 and I bet you they are back at £30+ within a couple of months.

I bought a load at £24.75 earlier today, they are now back at £25.84
  • IronWolf
    IronWolf Posts: 6,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends what shares you buy. Overall, there are plenty of good opportunities to buy now
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    oooh someone with a sore head! Lost a bit of money lately have we deary?
  • Credit-Crunched
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    oooh someone with a sore head! Lost a bit of money lately have we deary?

no, posting some paper losses but overall looking pretty good thanks, managed to average down on most of my shares, so looking ok thanks.

Just the amount of stupid questions asked is quite ridiculous, should I invest now? Will I make money? is this worth doing?

Do some research and make your own mind up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure