How do you eat healthly on £50 a week?

picklednut
picklednut Posts: 102 Forumite
edited 19 July 2011 at 5:25PM in Old style MoneySaving
When I've done my SOA on other threads people have said I should be able to budget £50 a week for groceries but I really can't see how this can be achieved. We are a family of three, me, my OH and our 3 year old son. How do you achieve healthy 3 meals a day, with snacks and fruit of £50 a week. I dont want to resort to Iceland £1 specials.

Any meal planners, recipes, tips, shopping lists greatly appreciated.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/

have a look, site was set up by Weezl who posts on here a lot :D
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Look at your local greengrocers, market or farm shop. They are often cheaper for seasonal fruit & veg than supermarkets.

Check out your local butcher too.

Bulk out meat with beans & pearly barley.

Eggs are cheap & healthy.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/

have a look, site was set up by Weezl who posts on here a lot :D

thanks for that link - I look forward to having a good read!
    BJB
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    by shopping around, eating seasonally, meal planning, reducing meat consumption, making your own snacks, drinking only water, making your own bread, using cheaper cuts of meat, eating pulses. There are lots of was to make food healthier and cheaper!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 July 2011 at 4:19PM
    Don't worry too much about debt-free wannabee suggestions. £300 a month for 3 people is only £100 each and that is supposed to include ALL groceries not just food but includes washing powder, soaps, deodorant, shaving stuff etc etc etc. I am a single person and spend £45 a week on ALL my shopping. £25 on food and £20 a week on non-food. Non-food also includes drinks such as Ribena, Orange juice a bottle of coke a few beers etc.

I see one of the suggestions was to spend less on Car insurance and you only spend £50 a month with 2 main drivers. I spend £130 a month. Insurance is what it is it can't easily be changed. I do assume you have checked a few companies though.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    lots of pulses and lentils home made bread adn home grown fruit and veg.
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    we live off around that and theres 2 adults and 3 kids in our house, i shop around and use cheaper brands, i use alot of frozen veg and reduced fruit and veg also hardly any snack foods (unless there value) we buy big sacks of spuds and fruit from the farm shop
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Can I suggest, rather than suddenly trying to achieve what may be a huge drop in just a week, and shocking the family into mutiny, that you try and drop £x per week. If you are a supermarket shopper, there are lots of ideas on the shopping area of the site. If you are not a cook-from-scratch type, get some cheap and cheerful, but easy recipes under your belt. Maybe adding a cheap home-made recipe once a week until it becomes more naturally to you, making a huge batch of cheap biscuits then freezing rather than buying snacks, etc. etc. One of the easiest ways to cut down on cost is to lessen the number of meat meals per week, or using meat as a flavour rather than the main part of meal. Things like hm pizza use meat as a garnish rather than needing a huge slab on the plate. Mince goes further than cubed meat, which goes further than chops, etc. etc. If there are specific types of meals/treats/snacks you like to cook, or your family like to eat, I would post them and the wise ones here will I'm sure be happy to offer good cheaper alternatives.
  • u751904
    u751904 Posts: 361
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    frozen veg is often cheaper than fresh. Frozen onions and garlic for example. Also you usually waste less. Get into making your own yogurt and wine (easy). The student grub cookbooks are also simple and easy to follow. you can always glam up the ingredients if it is too basic. Going to the shops with a shopping list and sticking to it is key. Consider soap nuts for washing powder. Make sure you shop at places like Aldi etc. You might feel it feels a bit grim having to do this but honestly it gets easier and you won't notice so much soon.
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,270
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi, I used to be able to feed my family of four for £65 a week but now its more like £75. At one time I spent over £100. The biggest change for me was simply meal planning and being more organised. I only buy what I need now and really think about what I am buying.

We eat meat most days and this weeks dinner menu has been roast chicken, stew and dumplings, chicken pie, spaghetti bolegnaise, home-made pizza and chicken curry.

I have also saved money by buying things like value lasagne sheets, value tinned tomatoes etc. You dont even notice the difference.

I think the suggestion of trying to reduce your costs gradually is a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure