Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Unoffical Existing Customer Balance Transfers (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Unoffical Existing Customer Balance Transfers
Views: 569,719
# 1
MSE Martin
Old 20-07-2003, 3:13 PM
Money Saving Expert
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Unoffical Existing Customer Balance Transfers

The following thread is for people to post what Balance transfer offers they have actually !been given by their existing credit card companies. !To see the context of this thread please read my article 'the Credit Card Shuffle' by clicking

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car...-card-interest

Martin

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please remember this is about EXISTING customer balance transfers, it is not the 'new cardholder offers. What would be helpful is if you noted when you got the card, and how long you'd had it when they gave you asked for a new balance transfer deal.

Last edited by MSE Wendy; 13-08-2009 at 1:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to MSE Martin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
neilgaynor
Old 20-07-2003, 7:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Re: Unoffical Existing Customer Balance Transfers

i have just been offered a capital one platinum card
with a 4.9% on balance transfer for life and 10.9%
on new purchases
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to neilgaynor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
AndrewDavidStone
Old 20-07-2003, 9:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

A British Airways AmEx Credit Card offers 4.9% for the life of the balance. There's no minimum spend on the card, but when you do it's 19.9% (ouch)! >

Just make sure you use it for business claims and rack up those BA miles... :P
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndrewDavidStone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
M Thomson
Old 20-07-2003, 9:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I got an MBNA AOL Mastercard in January 2002. Started off with 1.9% for 6 Months on Balance Transfers, then called again and got 1.9% for another six months. After that finished they called me and offered me 2.9% for 9 months which runs out in October.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M Thomson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
AndrewDavidStone
Old 20-07-2003, 9:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Sorry to post this here Martin, but there seems to be a few intellectually-challenged posters :P using this site.
My Barclaycard deal is as follows and you too can get the same deal...

The minimum spend for a Platinum Barclaycard is 1p per month including 0% on balance transfers. It also costs nothing to transfer the balance onto the Barclaycard! ;D

Anyway - great site and keep bringing on those money-saving tips! :

Yes I like using smileys :-[
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndrewDavidStone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Old 21-07-2003, 2:43 AM

i have an Abbey National Credit Card and in May they sent me some cheques thru the post encouraging me to transfer any debt to them for 6 months at 3.9%. i failed to do this at the time and last week i came across the cheques laying around again. so i phoned them up to ask if the offer was still available and they said no but the chap on the phone transfered me to another dept where they said that there was a new one coming up at the end of july and if they took my details of any credit cards i could transfer across any balances until Feb 2004 at only 1.9% - so its definately worth phoning up your credit card company to find out if there are any offers about - also saying that you will transfer a sizeable amount, in my case around 2 grand should help. ideally i'd like to pay all my debts off ! but while there still there at least im not paying any / much interest :o)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Old 21-07-2003, 12:52 PM

I was offered 2.9% as a lifetime balance transfer rate from American Express Blue and 4.9% from American Express Gold ;D

I have also received my 0% offer from Barclays. ;D
# 8
Old 22-07-2003, 3:46 PM

I have two Credit Cards, one for Virgin and the other Abbey National. Last month the 0% interest for 6 months with Virgin expired and they started hitting me with late charges etc. totaling about 80.00 in one month, I wanted to transfer Virgin's balance to my Abbey National card but I couldn't because they are both the same company i.e. MBNA.

I rang Abbey National and they offered to put 3,000 in my current bank account at a rate of 2.9% until January 2004, which meant I could pay my Virgin card off. The only problem is that I still have to pay off the existing Abbey National balance at a rate of 18.9% before I can start paying off the 3,0000.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Old 22-07-2003, 9:47 PM

First Direct are not playing this game >

22-Jul-2003 17:00

To: Ms J C

Re: Visa Account

Thank you for your message dated 20 Jul 2003.

Unfortunately we are unable to change the rate on your current card. If you wish we could convert your Credit Card into a Gold Card. This has a standard APR of 13.9% as opposed to your current APR of 14.9%.

There is however a low usage fee of 20 pounds on the Gold Visa, if you do not spend 1,200 pounds a year on the card then the fee is incurred.

Please call us or apply online if you wish to go ahead with a Gold Visa.

Please contact us if you require anything further.

Regards

Rick Bailey
Card Services
# 10
me2
Old 23-07-2003, 1:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Liverpool Victoria Visa card offer existing customers Balance Transfers for 6 months at 0%
(offer is valid until end of August I believe)

They allocate monthly payments to new purchases ahead of BTs...so your BT is interest free for longer and you can pay off the balance relating to your purchases.

(this is the opposite of Barclaycards 0% for life offer)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to me2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Old 24-07-2003, 12:42 PM

I recently got a Barclaycard under the infamous 0% offer and transfered my balance from my LloydsTSB card.

LloydsTSB called the other day to say they had noticed my balance had reduced alot (funny that). I told them what I had done and they put me on hold for a while and came back and said I could have 1.9% on balance transfers for 12mths or 0% for 6.

Certainly a lot better than the 5.9% they tried to offer me before I explained what I had done. Don't think I can be bothered changing again now; the irony is if they had offered me the 6mths 0% up front I wouldn't have moved the balance to BC.
# 12
Mortgageman
Old 24-07-2003, 12:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yeah, that happened a lot to me.

A couple of years ago I had a 2k worth of cc debts, got a cheaper rate and transfered the balance.

Original provider phoned and offered a much lower rate than they had done before I changed. So I changed back

Then the new provider - who I had transfered than balance to, and then from then called and offered a 0% rate. So I changed back again

I was waiting fot the call form the original cc company offering me a negative interest rate, but it never came

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mortgageman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Old 24-07-2003, 5:20 PM

An update on the first direct refusal.

I applied for the gold card and was turned down, despite having been a customer for over 10 years. I rattled off a complaining email and lo and behold I received a phone call today appologising and offering me a gold card with 0% for the first 6 months.

Well done First Direct, you may have fouled up but you did put it right!
# 14
laminki
Old 24-07-2003, 8:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Paul M

take the money from Lloyds TSB and stick it in a high interest account until the new rate elapses then transfer it back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laminki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
AndrewDavidStone
Old 25-07-2003, 3:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Capital One Platinum Card are offering 4.9% balance transfer for life of balance :-/...

Already have a 0% BC :-*. Just waiting to find out if I my application for a 0% Premeirship BC will be approved :P

In for a penny (BC) in for a pound (permiership BC) ;D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndrewDavidStone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Old 12-08-2003, 8:47 PM

;DI have just phoned Capital One and told them I wanted to transfer to them a balance of 2000. They said I had a high credit score and rather than lose me as a customer they offered me 10.7 percent on purchases and 6.9 percent on balance transfers for life. When I first spoke to them they said 12.9 on balance transfers and 12.7 on purchases. [flash=200,200][/flash]
Also they said I could have all my credit card limit in cash if I wanted rather than just 50 percent etc.
Ok I can do better but at least it pays to negotiate.
I have now been offered 3.9 percent from LLoyds for 6 months or 5.9 for life of transfer. Have decided to go for 3.9 percent.
Who said credit cards are a bad thing.
# 17
Old 21-08-2003, 2:10 AM

I've had a Diners Club charge card for a few years, and in February was offered a new 'Companion Credit Card' with a standard 14.9%APR, and an ongoing offer of 4.9% APR for the life of a balance transfer. No purchases need to be applied to ensure eligibility for the balance transfer rate. It's apparently only a targeted offer--just not sure how large the target is!

Only the standard charge card continues to require an annual fee to be paid.
# 18
Milarky
Old 25-08-2003, 10:27 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Beneficial - a brand of HFC (who also do Marbles) are offering 5.9 APR on balances transferred before 15 October and that rate will last until 31/03/04. I just happened to check the account online today, thinking "I wonder?" Last time I went there they had up an offer to 31/12/03 at 7.9 APR for balances transferred before 31 July. In other words, it's worth looking out for !these 'repeat' or 'rollover' deals which they tend to keep improving on slightly. [Update, 27 October: As suspected, they have 'rolled over' this offer - extending the end date 2 months and allowing qualifying BTs - again at 5.9 - upto the end of November. Worth checking!]MBNA tend to do the same thing, but I'm wary of them since they introduced a discretionary BT fee.

Halifax have recently sent out a letter [ref 'HL7783 BA')] offering 6.9 APR for life-of-balance if transferred before 30 Sept. They confusingly state that the rate will be: '0.5614 (variable) !for the life of the balance'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milarky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Old 16-10-2003, 3:24 PM

Rang Halifax Card Services to close my Halifax Classic card (zero balance on it). Was put through to someone from "customer satisfaction department" was offered 9.9% for life on BT.

(I declined and closed the a/c).
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Nickynoo1
Old 17-10-2003, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Went to close my virgin credit account as the offer rate ended and went to 13% and was offered a further reduced rate of 3.9% for 6 months. I wanted 2 balance transfers and was told the second one would incur a charge of 35. So transferred the lump sum into my current account and transferred all out from there with no fee!. I know 3.9% isn't great but it saves another credit search in my name, and it's still cheaper than it was.

Nicky
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickynoo1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>