Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 20th Jul 03, 3:13 PM
    • 8,100Posts
    • 42,226Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Unoffical Existing Customer Balance Transfers
    • 20th Jul 03, 3:13 PM
    Unoffical Existing Customer Balance Transfers 20th Jul 03 at 3:13 PM
    The following thread is for people to post what Balance transfer offers they have actually !been given by their existing credit card companies. !To see the context of this thread please read my article 'the Credit Card Shuffle' by clicking

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/cut-credit-card-interest

Martin

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please remember this is about EXISTING customer balance transfers, it is not the 'new cardholder offers. What would be helpful is if you noted when you got the card, and how long you'd had it when they gave you asked for a new balance transfer deal.
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 13-08-2009 at 1:36 PM.
Page 1
  • neilgaynor
    • 20th Jul 03, 7:17 PM
    Re: Unoffical Existing Customer Balance Transfers
    • 20th Jul 03, 7:17 PM
    i have just been offered a capital one platinum card
    with a 4.9% on balance transfer for life and 10.9%
    on new purchases
  • AndrewDavidStone
    • 20th Jul 03, 9:36 PM
    • 20th Jul 03, 9:36 PM
    A British Airways AmEx Credit Card offers 4.9% for the life of the balance. There's no minimum spend on the card, but when you do it's 19.9% (ouch)! >

Just make sure you use it for business claims and rack up those BA miles... :P
    • M Thomson
    • By M Thomson 20th Jul 03, 9:38 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    M Thomson
    • 20th Jul 03, 9:38 PM
    • 20th Jul 03, 9:38 PM
    I got an MBNA AOL Mastercard in January 2002. Started off with 1.9% for 6 Months on Balance Transfers, then called again and got 1.9% for another six months. After that finished they called me and offered me 2.9% for 9 months which runs out in October.
  • AndrewDavidStone
    • 20th Jul 03, 9:44 PM
    • 20th Jul 03, 9:44 PM
    Sorry to post this here Martin, but there seems to be a few intellectually-challenged posters :P using this site.
    My Barclaycard deal is as follows and you too can get the same deal...

The minimum spend for a Platinum Barclaycard is 1p per month including 0% on balance transfers. It also costs nothing to transfer the balance onto the Barclaycard! ;D

Anyway - great site and keep bringing on those money-saving tips! :

Yes I like using smileys :-[
  • archived user
    • 21st Jul 03, 2:43 AM
    • 21st Jul 03, 2:43 AM
    i have an Abbey National Credit Card and in May they sent me some cheques thru the post encouraging me to transfer any debt to them for 6 months at 3.9%. i failed to do this at the time and last week i came across the cheques laying around again. so i phoned them up to ask if the offer was still available and they said no but the chap on the phone transfered me to another dept where they said that there was a new one coming up at the end of july and if they took my details of any credit cards i could transfer across any balances until Feb 2004 at only 1.9% - so its definately worth phoning up your credit card company to find out if there are any offers about - also saying that you will transfer a sizeable amount, in my case around 2 grand should help. ideally i'd like to pay all my debts off ! but while there still there at least im not paying any / much interest :o)
  • archived user
    • 21st Jul 03, 12:52 PM
    • 21st Jul 03, 12:52 PM
    I was offered 2.9% as a lifetime balance transfer rate from American Express Blue and 4.9% from American Express Gold ;D

I have also received my 0% offer from Barclays. ;D
  • archived user
    • 22nd Jul 03, 3:46 PM
    • 22nd Jul 03, 3:46 PM
    I have two Credit Cards, one for Virgin and the other Abbey National. Last month the 0% interest for 6 months with Virgin expired and they started hitting me with late charges etc. totaling about £80.00 in one month, I wanted to transfer Virgin's balance to my Abbey National card but I couldn't because they are both the same company i.e. MBNA.

I rang Abbey National and they offered to put £3,000 in my current bank account at a rate of 2.9% until January 2004, which meant I could pay my Virgin card off. The only problem is that I still have to pay off the existing Abbey National balance at a rate of 18.9% before I can start paying off the £3,0000.
  • archived user
    • 22nd Jul 03, 9:47 PM
    • 22nd Jul 03, 9:47 PM
    First Direct are not playing this game >

22-Jul-2003 17:00

To: Ms J C

Re: Visa Account

Thank you for your message dated 20 Jul 2003.

Unfortunately we are unable to change the rate on your current card. If you wish we could convert your Credit Card into a Gold Card. This has a standard APR of 13.9% as opposed to your current APR of 14.9%.

There is however a low usage fee of 20 pounds on the Gold Visa, if you do not spend 1,200 pounds a year on the card then the fee is incurred.

Please call us or apply online if you wish to go ahead with a Gold Visa.

Please contact us if you require anything further.

Regards

Rick Bailey
    Card Services
  • me2
    Liverpool Victoria Visa card offer existing customers Balance Transfers for 6 months at 0%
    (offer is valid until end of August I believe)

They allocate monthly payments to new purchases ahead of BTs...so your BT is interest free for longer and you can pay off the balance relating to your purchases.

(this is the opposite of Barclaycards 0% for life offer)
  • archived user
    I recently got a Barclaycard under the infamous 0% offer and transfered my balance from my LloydsTSB card.

LloydsTSB called the other day to say they had noticed my balance had reduced alot (funny that). I told them what I had done and they put me on hold for a while and came back and said I could have 1.9% on balance transfers for 12mths or 0% for 6.

Certainly a lot better than the 5.9% they tried to offer me before I explained what I had done. Don't think I can be bothered changing again now; the irony is if they had offered me the 6mths 0% up front I wouldn't have moved the balance to BC.
  • Mortgageman
    Yeah, that happened a lot to me.

A couple of years ago I had a 2k worth of cc debts, got a cheaper rate and transfered the balance.

Original provider phoned and offered a much lower rate than they had done before I changed. So I changed back

Then the new provider - who I had transfered than balance to, and then from then called and offered a 0% rate. So I changed back again

I was waiting fot the call form the original cc company offering me a negative interest rate, but it never came

• archived user
    An update on the first direct refusal.

I applied for the gold card and was turned down, despite having been a customer for over 10 years. I rattled off a complaining email and lo and behold I received a phone call today appologising and offering me a gold card with 0% for the first 6 months.

Well done First Direct, you may have fouled up but you did put it right!
  • laminki
    Paul M

take the money from Lloyds TSB and stick it in a high interest account until the new rate elapses then transfer it back.
  • AndrewDavidStone
    Capital One Platinum Card are offering 4.9% balance transfer for life of balance :-/...

Already have a 0% BC :-*. Just waiting to find out if I my application for a 0% Premeirship BC will be approved :P

In for a penny (BC) in for a pound (permiership BC) ;D
  • archived user
    ;DI have just phoned Capital One and told them I wanted to transfer to them a balance of £2000. They said I had a high credit score and rather than lose me as a customer they offered me 10.7 percent on purchases and 6.9 percent on balance transfers for life. When I first spoke to them they said 12.9 on balance transfers and 12.7 on purchases. [flash=200,200][/flash]
    Also they said I could have all my credit card limit in cash if I wanted rather than just 50 percent etc.
    Ok I can do better but at least it pays to negotiate.
    I have now been offered 3.9 percent from LLoyds for 6 months or 5.9 for life of transfer. Have decided to go for 3.9 percent.
    Who said credit cards are a bad thing.
  • archived user
    I've had a Diners Club charge card for a few years, and in February was offered a new 'Companion Credit Card' with a standard 14.9%APR, and an ongoing offer of 4.9% APR for the life of a balance transfer. No purchases need to be applied to ensure eligibility for the balance transfer rate. It's apparently only a targeted offer--just not sure how large the target is!

Only the standard charge card continues to require an annual fee to be paid.
    • Milarky
    • By Milarky 25th Aug 03, 10:27 PM
    • 6,256 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Milarky
    Beneficial - a brand of HFC (who also do Marbles) are offering 5.9 APR on balances transferred before 15 October and that rate will last until 31/03/04. I just happened to check the account online today, thinking "I wonder?" Last time I went there they had up an offer to 31/12/03 at 7.9 APR for balances transferred before 31 July. In other words, it's worth looking out for !these 'repeat' or 'rollover' deals which they tend to keep improving on slightly. [Update, 27 October: As suspected, they have 'rolled over' this offer - extending the end date 2 months and allowing qualifying BTs - again at 5.9 - upto the end of November. Worth checking!]MBNA tend to do the same thing, but I'm wary of them since they introduced a discretionary BT fee.

Halifax have recently sent out a letter [ref 'HL7783 BA')] offering 6.9 APR for life-of-balance if transferred before 30 Sept. They confusingly state that the rate will be: '0.5614 (variable) !for the life of the balance'
  • archived user
    Rang Halifax Card Services to close my Halifax Classic card (zero balance on it). Was put through to someone from "customer satisfaction department" was offered 9.9% for life on BT.

(I declined and closed the a/c).
    • Nickynoo1
    • By Nickynoo1 17th Oct 03, 5:15 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    Nickynoo1
    Went to close my virgin credit account as the offer rate ended and went to 13% and was offered a further reduced rate of 3.9% for 6 months. I wanted 2 balance transfers and was told the second one would incur a charge of £35. So transferred the lump sum into my current account and transferred all out from there with no fee!. I know 3.9% isn't great but it saves another credit search in my name, and it's still cheaper than it was.

Nicky
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,059Posts Today

5,920Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Glad to see @IamSairaKhan is offering out Prosecco not champagne on #CBB. Her time with me hasn't been wasted!

• I can see @IamSairaKhan already starting to look after everyone, like she does me on a shoot. I hope they appreciate her in there #cbb

• Why do some #CBB contestants feel the need to swear every other word. The power of profanity is in its rare shocking use. Its horrid.

• Follow Martin