Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > HSBC - Nasty thing they just sent me. (secure key... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
HSBC - Nasty thing they just sent me. (secure key)
Closed Thread
Views: 13,572
# 1
henlans
Old 14-06-2011, 8:31 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default HSBC - Nasty thing they just sent me. (secure key)

This new secure key!!!

Check it out

Now takes 5 minutes to login to it.. longer if you lose the bloody thing.

anyone else hate it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to henlans For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
dannymccann
Old 14-06-2011, 8:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yep, I have one for Barclays as well, stupid system
# 3
NOWSE
Old 15-06-2011, 1:10 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Unless I take this thing around with me, I can no longer check my account and carry out transactions when away from home.

Not happy.
# 4
Lith
Old 15-06-2011, 1:16 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by henlans View Post
This new secure key!!!

Check it out

Now takes 5 minutes to login to it.. longer if you lose the bloody thing.

anyone else hate it?

5 minutes to login ?

Just logged in mine now and that was 30 seconds..... whats the problem? (i know its s stupid thing) but security is good - to much security is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymccann View Post
Yep, I have one for Barclays as well, stupid system
Thats much different to the HSBC one... and the barclays one is indeed very stupid.. dont want a card reader in my house lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWSE View Post
Unless I take this thing around with me, I can no longer check my account and carry out transactions when away from home.

Not happy.
The things tiny it isnt that bad... but the barclays one is massive stupid it is..
HSBC (Main A/C)
Halifax Back up A/C
Lloyds (Spending) A/C
RBS Back up A/C
Barclays Old A/C
Nationwide Old A/C
The Following User Says Thank You to Lith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
callum9999
Old 15-06-2011, 4:11 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWSE View Post

Not happy.
Perhaps you should take it around with you then? I believe it comes with a hook to attach to your keys.

Annoying yes, prohibitively annoying - definitely not.
# 6
dannymccann
Old 15-06-2011, 8:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I personally think it should be an opt in thing, not a blanket 'everyone who uses internet banking is a retard so have this 'secure key' dongle'.

I dread to think how much it cost to implement and the environmental impact of, I believe, the 3 individual letters I received about it.

And it isnt anymore secure because I have so many pin numbers and passwords to remember (personally and professionally as I work in financial services with 12 different software systems to remember log ins for :|) that they are all the bloody same anyway
The Following User Says Thank You to dannymccann For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
fkelanne
Old 15-06-2011, 9:13 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i love mine, think they are spot on.
savings for 2012.. New year new me.. Going to save save save... and not spend spend spend.
WANT £7000 BY JAN 2012.
Jan -£80
Feb -
March-
The Following User Says Thank You to fkelanne For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Sharon87
Old 15-06-2011, 9:56 AM

I get having the secure keys if you want to set up transfers and transfer money to them, (like Natwest does) but not to log in!

Does anyone know if I can still do mobile banking without having to use one?

I'm waiting till the last day to activate mine, freedom for 9 more days!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharon87 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
ILW
Old 15-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Never found it much of a problem myself. Takes less than a minute to login.
# 10
money_maker
Old 15-06-2011, 12:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

It can be annoying at first but once you’re used to it, it won’t feel any different.
If you can attach it to your keys, what’s the problem? I assume you don’t usually go out without them.

It takes about a minute to log in with, so if it takes someone 5 minutes, I suggest they get a quicker, updated pc lol

If banks offered an “opt in” option, what would you go with?
Yes- Use your key and keep the banks promise to secure your cash
No- Don’t use the key, but don’t expect the banks to refund anything, if it gets stolen
The Following User Says Thank You to money_maker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Sharon87
Old 15-06-2011, 2:47 PM

Well it's annoying for me as I take my laptop to different rooms in the house and if I want to log in I'll have to bring that too. It's just hassle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharon87 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
chazzee
Old 15-06-2011, 3:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You also have to use it for mobile banking including the iphone adapted version as well.

It's an inconvenience having to fish it out every morning, but I guess it does stop the impact of fake websites which can only be a good thing for less internet-savvy customers as well as the bank.

Would have preferred a small RSA Key like I use for work related remote VPN access.
Reformed Saver!
# 13
Mr K
Old 15-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkelanne View Post
i love mine
think you need to get out a bit more

Thankfully mine hasn't arrived yet, hopefully it's lost in the post. If it does arrive it'll be ignored. I haven't seen any reports of anybody being blocked from their accounts for not registering it. Until/if they do block me its business as usual. I've a Halifax account I'm can transfer everything to if they aren't flexible.

What they need to do is just make this for making payments/setting up new payees. I could live with that as that's the major security risk on an account. Needing it every time you log on is complete overkill and treats us all as though we're all numpties who who are careless with security details. Carrying these about everywhere will inevitably mean lots are lost/stolen, which will highlight you have an online account with HSBC - one piece of the jigsaw for somebody interested in hacking your details.

Fraud is much more likely from somebody peering over your shoulder and viewing your PIN, or from corrupt shop/petrol station/restaurant employees. They be better spending the money on developing software for fingerprint/retina ID checks.

TREAT US AS ADULTS WHO RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR OWN ACTIONS....
# 14
Lith
Old 15-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
think you need to get out a bit more

Thankfully mine hasn't arrived yet, hopefully it's lost in the post. If it does arrive it'll be ignored. I haven't seen any reports of anybody being blocked from their accounts for not registering it. Until/if they do block me its business as usual. I've a Halifax account I'm can transfer everything to if they aren't flexible.

What they need to do is just make this for making payments/setting up new payees. I could live with that as that's the major security risk on an account. Needing it every time you log on is complete overkill and treats us all as though we're all numpties who who are careless with security details. Carrying these about everywhere will inevitably mean lots are lost/stolen, which will highlight you have an online account with HSBC - one piece of the jigsaw for somebody interested in hacking your details.

Fraud is much more likely from somebody peering over your shoulder and viewing your PIN, or from corrupt shop/petrol station/restaurant employees. They be better spending the money on developing software for fingerprint/retina ID checks.

TREAT US AS ADULTS WHO RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR OWN ACTIONS....

Fair Play,

But your not thinking in the long run... there was a member on here (need to search)

That said HSBC online banking kept nagging him to use the security key. i think over time this will be the only option so no matter what you say... you will have NO CHOICE to use this..

its tiny has not caused me any hassle (yet...)

(but i do agree with what you say no disrespect)
HSBC (Main A/C)
Halifax Back up A/C
Lloyds (Spending) A/C
RBS Back up A/C
Barclays Old A/C
Nationwide Old A/C
# 15
Doshwaster
Old 17-06-2011, 10:33 AM

I just got mine in the post this morning and it's annoying me already.

I have a "secure key" for Nationwide but it's optional so I have just shoved it in a drawer and forgotten about it - but this HSBC one is going to be compulsory.

It also means that HSBC doesn't work with my Egg Money Manager any more.

It wouldn't be so bad it you could have a "spare" one so I could keep one at home and one at work.

I'm all for greater security but if you expect people to carry these around they are only going to be lost. I travel a lot with work so I'm always using internet banking from hotels and airports. This just makes it more of a pain.
# 16
adc82140
Old 22-07-2011, 7:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Mine's broken already. No power to it. Just phoned up HSBC in a bit of a strop and made them read out my entire bank statement. What a pain in the a*se. 5-7 days to send out a replacement

Tempted to move to NatWest.
# 17
charlieboycat
Old 22-07-2011, 7:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshwaster View Post
so I'm always using internet banking from hotels and airports.
More than I'd care to do - but if I was then I'd be grateful for every bit of extra security that might be available ...
The Following User Says Thank You to charlieboycat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
td_007
Old 22-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thumbs down

Why couldn't HSBC stick to the card reader? At least then I would have to carry around just one thing. Now I need to carry around two such contraptions if I want to access online accounts. More inconvenience rather than security I say..
# 19
Wesker
Old 22-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've got one and not too keen on it certainly dont check my account online as often as i used to.
What happens when the battery runs out? Need to wait days for them to send a new one out. What happens if i got bills that need paying and cant access online account
Errrr...come back later
# 20
Password-overloader
Old 06-08-2011, 6:51 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default So secure they have locked me out!

My heart sank when I saw HSBC demanding we all use a Secure Key. I also bank with Barclays, and found the Secure Key a real hassle.

First, the banks are just protecting themselves here...internet banking is insecure so they want it more secure...after all they want you to use cashless methods and so give a promise to make good any fraud on your card. That is the point...they carry the risk if your card is misused, ultimately...or am I mistaken. It would be distressing to find your account hacked, but I think the banks have to pick up the tab if it is not your fault. Hence an extra layer of security for the banks benefit primarily, sold to us as if it is for our benefit.

So 4 things to remember, a pin code, a place, a person, and a street.

First time I used it, I had written down a coded reminder to myself of the place, person and street, but getting information overload forgot to make a coded reminder of what my pin was. Even forgot they would ask for a pin. So when they did I went, erh...um, perhaps it was this one. The card locked showing "pin error 1", or something and would not unlock. Forgot to ask at the bank what to do the next day, and 7am today remembered I may need to transfer some money over to another account to cover a standing order due in. Found the key was still locked, so clicked on "forgot your pin code" button. Asked the other security questions. But for some reason would not accept one of them (perhaps I had cap lock on first time I entered it?). So I tried a few variations of capitals and lowercase, but the machine then locked me out completely for trying too many times. So phoned the number they told me to, and after a menu of options to get through to the right area I had to press to speak to an operator..."sorry we are open 8am to 5pm" or similar in that stuck up tone of voice they use on the ansamachine...Agh! Meanwhile I roast in the thought that the standing order might bounce and put a mark on my credit rating too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Password-overloader For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread