Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Sim only contract that permits tethering. (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Sim only contract that permits tethering.
Closed Thread
Views: 12,210
# 1
Paragon
Old 16-05-2011, 3:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Sim only contract that permits tethering.

Can anyone help me find a Sim only contract with 200+mins, 100+texts, 500mb+ data and specifically allows tethering?

All I have found so far is an O2 Simplicity tariff but that winds up at £21.50 a month but I feel that's a bit pricey.

The only other option I can think of so far is to take up O2 Retentions on their offer of £21.50 a month with 300mins / Unlimited texts / 500Mb data and £59.99 for a HTC Desire S which I could then sell. I don't know how easy it would be to sell the phone or how much I might expect to get for it.
Debt: September 28th 2009 £0!!!!! Finally!
March 30th 2008 £5,350
September 29th 2008 £7,800
January 1st 2007 £21,000 (Max debt)
Original DFD target was end Aug 2009
# 2
kingofherts
Old 16-05-2011, 3:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

To be honest how far is 500mb going to get you if you both use data on the handset and wish to tether?

Best plan for tethering is the one plan sim from 3
2000 min 5000 txt 5000 3-3 mins and truly unlimited data for handset and tethering

£25 per month on a 1 month contract
# 3
grumbler
Old 16-05-2011, 3:29 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I can be wrong, but AFAIK using an android phone as a WiFi hotspot is not recognised as tethering.
At T-mobile/ChitterChatter internet booster available on all tariffs includes unlimited browsing with 500Mb limit on downloading/streaming.
Also giffgaff - unlimited with FUP.
We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
.definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
should have, NOT should of
.....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
# 4
Yolina
Old 16-05-2011, 3:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

AFAIK, only O2 and 3 allow tethering without extra charges. The "one plan" on 3 is £25 a month, with more minutes and texts that you'll probably ever need and trully unlimited data (no FUP), there's I think around £100 cashback on Quidco for that at the moment. If you're an area that gets a good 3 signal (grab a free PAYG to check!) it might be worth considering depending on how much you use your phone.
Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
# 5
Paragon
Old 16-05-2011, 4:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

500Mb would be fine, I haven't got a proper smart phone, only a Nokia C3-01 touch and type, and really all I want is to be able to send and receive emails through Windows Live Mail on my Netbook when I'm in hotels where there is no free wi-fi, or in the back of taxis on long journeys. I don't think my phone does wi-fi hotspots hosting.

Giffgaff specifically prohibit tethering so that won't work.

I'm not going down the 3 One plan route - far too expensive for what I want.
Debt: September 28th 2009 £0!!!!! Finally!
March 30th 2008 £5,350
September 29th 2008 £7,800
January 1st 2007 £21,000 (Max debt)
Original DFD target was end Aug 2009
# 6
Toe-Jam
Old 17-05-2011, 8:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I tether with my Android phone all the time without a tethering bolt on. It just shows up on your account like your using your phone only the data is like 20-30mb instead of 5-6 mb per time.

But it goes through the data very fast, a 500mb data bundle lasts no time at all and even a few videos on Youtube will have you at the limit in no time. If its for the odd email and facebook then its fine.
# 7
davehutch
Old 18-05-2011, 11:06 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

When I spopke to "3", they told me that, even though they recommend you take out a "1 Plan" for thethering, it's still technically allowed and possible using their Sim only deals, which come with 1GB 300 calls and 3000 texts for £10/month on a 12 month contract.
I'll certainly ask in a "3" shop before I buy, but for the odd number of web pages and e-mails I'd use it for, 1GB would be fine for me as I have Wi-Fi at home and at work
# 8
petecuff
Old 05-10-2012, 3:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I came across this post whilst searching for exactly the type of deal the original poster was after. Through researching with various companies, I have confirmed the following with Virgin Media (I don't have any TV, phone etc with them, FYI):

Starter SIM Only tariff: 250 mins, unlimited texts, 1gb web and tethering allowed. £10 per month.

Sounds like a winner to me and I'll be switching to this as soon as my current deal runs out.
# 9
neil40
Old 05-10-2012, 3:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via Skype™ to neil40

Giffgaff are bringing a goody bag on 6th November for £10 per month that gets you 250 mins/unlimited texts & 1gb of data which is going to be tetherable.

Neil
Closed Thread