Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Energy Cost of a bread machine (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Energy Cost of a bread machine
Views: 19,272
# 1
julianj1
Old 05-12-2006, 3:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Energy Cost of a bread machine

Hi all,

I've been monitoring the cost of my bread machine's electricity
(Panasonic SD253).

Overall it costs about 1 p an hour to run: slightly less for just the dough programme and slightly more when it's baking. So 1 p an hour is a good approximation.

Ingredients for a 400g wholemeal loaf were 32p, so with 6 p for electricity, round up to 40p.

I would expect other breadmakers to be in the same ballpark.

Which conclusively proves that using a breadmaker is cheaper than any but the most cheapo and nasty bread.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to julianj1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
mikeywills
Old 05-12-2006, 3:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianj1
Hi all,

(Panasonic SD253).

Overall it costs about 1 p an hour to run: slightly less for just the dough programme and slightly more when it's baking. So 1 p an hour is a good approximation.

Ingredients for a 400g wholemeal loaf were 32p, so with 6 p for electricity, round up to 40p.

Which conclusively proves that using a breadmaker is cheaper than any but the most cheapo and nasty bread.
I have a panasonic, but there is a programme on there for white bread which only takes 4 hours, surely this would be a saving of 2p?

I personally tend to blow the expense and put it on a delayed function overnight, so that it is ready for my brekkie at 6.30am, which probably costs me about 9p.

My ingredients tend to be more than this I think, I also use wholemeal flour, butter, sugar, salt, water, and dried skimmed milk, I am sure the flour alone worked out at about 36p ish.

I don't mind about the cost really, its the control over the contents thats more important to me, as local as I can make it. Now if only there was a mill in my area, I would be landed.

Anyone know how to find local flour mills online?
I had a plan..........its here somewhere.
# 3
julianj1
Old 05-12-2006, 4:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sorry Mikey,

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well. I'm averaging out the cost (excluding ingredients). So a shorter programme will cost less, so if it was a 3 hour white programme it would be around 3p. So yes it would cost 2p less.

When it is on the timer I would expect that it would cost virtually zip - it's not actually drawing a lot of juice compared to baking. So I think you can disregard that cost: IMO your white loaf on the timer would cost 3p not 9p in electricity , but as you have proposed a new test, I shall do that next time I use the timer to find out for sure. I'll post the result here.

cheers

Julian
# 4
mikeywills
Old 05-12-2006, 4:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Sorry Mikey,

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well. I'm averaging out the cost (excluding ingredients). So a shorter programme will cost less, so if it was a 3 hour white programme it would be around 3p. So yes it would cost 2p less.

When it is on the timer I would expect that it would cost virtually zip - it's not actually drawing a lot of juice compared to baking. So I think you can disregard that cost: IMO your white loaf on the timer would cost 3p not 9p in electricity , but as you have proposed a new test, I shall do that next time I use the timer to find out for sure. I'll post the result here.

cheers

Julian
I just wondered if it would be like a tv on standby, 'still sucking the juice' sort of speak.

Happy to be proven wrong if you have the time, have just spend 1/2 hour trying to find a flour miller in my area, closest is over 100miles away. Shame.
# 5
squeaky
Old 05-12-2006, 5:19 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeywills
Anyone know how to find local flour mills online?
Easy peasy

google for:- "flour mill"+countyname exactly as written with the quotes and you'll get local ones to you
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
# 6
mikeywills
Old 06-12-2006, 3:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky
Easy peasy

google for:- "flour mill"+countyname exactly as written with the quotes and you'll get local ones to you
This is exactly what I did squeaky, it bought the history of every flour mill within my location, but the nearest working mill was an awful long way away.

I have since, emailed them hoping that they do mail order.
# 7
julianj1
Old 07-12-2006, 10:33 AM
MoneySaving Convert

It is as I thought: the timer uses a negligible amount of electricity.

I had the BM on the timer for a few hours yesterday, and the lecky cost came out to 5.6 p (i.e. virtually the same as my first post above).
The Following User Says Thank You to julianj1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
HappyIdiotTalk
Old 14-12-2006, 8:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to HappyIdiotTalk Send a message via Skype™ to HappyIdiotTalk

Quote:
Hi all,

(Panasonic SD253).

Just out of interest how did you calculate the energy costs? Have you got some kind of adapter that sits between the socket and plug which monitors what goes on?
SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
# 9
julianj1
Old 19-12-2006, 11:03 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes, ObviouslyNotAnIdiotTalk you are correct.

This is what I have:Energy Monitor

cheers

Julian
# 10
Spendi
Old 01-02-2007, 10:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Breadmakers and costs of loaves

I've seen a million and one posts about breadmakers, but what i really want to know is, how much does it cost on average to make a normal wholemeal, white loaf in one ?

Me and my little one dont eat much bread, we buy a loaf and end up throwing half of it away, so i was thinking if it was cheap enough it might be easier for me to make a little loaf every few days ?
*Spendi*

Ebay Total since Feb ~ £466.90

Quidco Earnings £288
Pigsback Vouchers £40 330 piggy points
Boots 1796 Points

Debt Free Date March 2014 July 2009 April 2009
The Following User Says Thank You to Spendi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
newlywed
Old 01-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spendi
I've seen a million and one posts about breadmakers, but what i really want to know is, how much does it cost on average to make a normal wholemeal, white loaf in one ?

Me and my little one dont eat much bread, we buy a loaf and end up throwing half of it away, so i was thinking if it was cheap enough it might be easier for me to make a little loaf every few days ?
I'd like to know the answer to this too. We get through a fair amount of bread and I wonder if making our own would cut costs (definitely would cut the cost of the extras I get when I go in the shop "just for bread" )

The kids are only here weekends and they are the only ones that eat white bread so I usually freeze the loaf and just take slices out, as and when I need them. They separate up fairly easily when frozen and you can toast direct from frozen with our toaster. The loaf will keep fine for over a month that way and there's no waste.

Edit: and how come in the supermarket a half size loaf of bread costs more than a normal loaf????
Grocery Challenge August = £220 (in my dreams!!)
DMP support thread (member #32)

# 12
Idiophreak
Old 01-02-2007, 11:09 AM

Could also think about getting those part-baked baguettes. Can just stick them in the cupboard til you need one, then cook it in 10 minutes. They're only about 20p for a baguette big enough for 2 lunchboxes iirc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Idiophreak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
squeaky
Old 01-02-2007, 11:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

The answers to these questions can all be found, neatly listed, here:-

The Complete Breadmaking Collection

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
groatie queen
Old 01-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I slice and feeze the loaves I make, as there is just me to feed, freezing prevents the bread going off and I toast it from frozen.

I don't cost out the price of a breadmaker loaf as 1) one frozen loaf lasts me a long time 2) as already mentioned, keeps me away from the shops 3) I prefer knowing it's organic, low salt and no unknown additives. So I reckon it's good value for me and I enjoy the bread!

If you have a talent, use it in every which way possible. Don't hoard it. Don't dole it out like a miser. Spend it lavishly like a millionaire intent on going broke.

-- Brendan Francis

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to groatie queen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Cazzdevil
Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I worked out that a loaf, made with proper bread flour costs about 25p to make and produces about 8 slices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cazzdevil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
pollyanna24
Old 01-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The only problem with homemade bread is that it doesn't last as long as it doesn't have any nasty addictive or chemicals in it.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
House Worth (approx) - £283,293 (according to Zoopla)
Mortgage (3rd October 2014) - £110,892.06
My 50% Equity - £86,200.47

Overpayments in 2014 - £9,585.05 so far
# 17
lil_me
Old 01-02-2007, 12:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to lil_me

I can get about 10-12 slices per loaf from a 1 1/2lb loaf now, got myself a slicer. I make it as I need it so doesn't go off, wholemeal for me and white for the kids, instead of bulk buying and filling the freezer. I have started to use plain flour instead of bread flour for the white, probably costs me about 20 odd pence a loaf, but there is the knowing what's gone in it, priceless! Goes in the freezer if a few slices left. The money I save from popping to the shop for a loaf of bread (aswell as locally it's £1 a loaf) is worth it.
One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
The Following User Says Thank You to lil_me For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
exlibris
Old 01-02-2007, 1:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spendi
I

Could also think about getting those part-baked baguettes. Can just stick them in the cupboard til you need one,
(idiopheak)

We don't eat much bread at the moment either so I am trialling making rolls in the BM and freezing. The first lot of Cheese and Onion were delish!
# 19
Pink.
Old 01-02-2007, 1:53 PM

Hi Spendi,

This recent thread might give you some idea of the cost of making a loaf: Energy Cost of a bread machine

I've averaged out the cost of my ingredients and find it costs between 30p and 40p for the ingredients depending on what flour I'm using and whether or not I'm adding seeds etc.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Cazzdevil
Old 01-02-2007, 2:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I costed out a loaf exactly but it's written in the instruction book which is at home. I'll have to double check when I finish work.

I do remember that a pizza, including toppings and mozzarella costs less than £1 for a 12"er. FAR better than ANY shop/takeaway one!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cazzdevil For This Useful Post: Show me >>