PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Energy Cost of a bread machine

Options

Comments

• trying-very-trying
    Options
    If you're looking for a breadmaker, you could try looking in your local adtrader, it's a yellow paper comes out on a Wednesday and Saturday, also available online. Or better still try asking on freecycle.
    AlosoI now have the panny as recommended on here, but to be quite honest, I never had a bad loaf out of my Hinari breadmaker that cost me about £15 out of Asda, but that was a good few years ago.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We paid about £44 for our Morphy Richards Fastbake earlier this year. Allowing for the savings we make over buying shop bread, we reckon it will have paid for itself in 40 weeks as I reckon we're saving somewhere around £1.30 per week.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Agaton_Sax
    Agaton_Sax Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    mikeywills wrote: »
    I have a panasonic, but there is a programme on there for white bread which only takes 4 hours, surely this would be a saving of 2p?

I personally tend to blow the expense and put it on a delayed function overnight, so that it is ready for my brekkie at 6.30am, which probably costs me about 9p.

My ingredients tend to be more than this I think, I also use wholemeal flour, butter, sugar, salt, water, and dried skimmed milk, I am sure the flour alone worked out at about 36p ish.

I don't mind about the cost really, its the control over the contents thats more important to me, as local as I can make it. Now if only there was a mill in my area, I would be landed.

Anyone know how to find local flour mills online?

You can sometimes get Flour from a Mill on E-Bay but it's not cheap. Tried it once [when I had a good selling week] and liken it to Dove Organic.
    Hope this helps.
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    Rather than looking at the price of making a loaf, look at the bigger picture.
    You just nipping to the shops for bread which should cost £1, why on earth is it that you spend £15-30 on other stuff. Next time you go shopping actualy think to yourself what have you got in the carrier bags and I bet you forget atleast 20% of it!

I bought a second hand Panasonic for £25 from www.adtrader.co.uk. It costs me just over 20p per loaf including leccy (tested).
    I also save money on house freshener. Mine paid for it's self in uder 1 month. If it went bang tomorrow I would spend another £100 on a new panasonic bread maker.
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Options
    pebbles88 wrote: »
    hello,

i am interested in making my own bread, i dont like the cheaper ranges of white bread, (DH does) but i love wholemeal bread which again in the chepaer ranges never tastes particularly nice!

breadmakers are quite pricey though, i know some peeps on here recommend a panasonic one, but not sure which one or which features i should be looking for??

also how much am i looking at for a HM Wholemeal loaf, and what size would it be??
    i would greatly appreciate any advice.

thanks

I only eat wholemeal/multi-grain breads and the ones I like in the supermarket are between £1 - £1.50 so for me making my bread in my panny is a god-send. I know many people talk about the costs of running the machine and cheapest flour but it's also about what goes into your bread. You cant knock home-made bread :D

Pebbles - the panny does 2 machines (if you're buying new). The SD254 and SD255. The only different being that the 255 has an automatic raison dispenser.

You can chose to make 3 sizes M, L or XL - I've yet to make an XL as they come out quite big so you need a pretty big toaster! I throw seeds and nuts into mine. The beauty of it all is that you can put whatever you like in your breads and I make cakes in it too - I'm running my own little bakery service for my family - they put orders in! :D
  • pebbles88
    pebbles88 Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ooh thank you very much Jenny, i think i know what i will be asking DH for for christmas!!
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
  • Maggiesunshine
    Options
    Jenny - I too have just bought a Panny 254 - thought the extra 20 quid a rip off for automatic beeps ... anyway - I have not used it yet - came today - and I wondered could you give me some tips re whether the recipes in booklet are correct - cos I have printed out some comments .... dont know where from - think from somewhere here, but cant find them now ... that some of the quantities are not right ... but I would not have a clue how to tweak anything!! so any help would be gratelfully received .... for example - yeast - sugar - liquid - these all figured in the not correct quantites .... of dear ... HELP!!!
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    most recipies are fine but most people use 20ml less water than recomended for the brown/wholemeal breads.
    Have a go.
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • Maggiesunshine
    Options
    Hi there Andy and Jenny .... Jenny has been fab- lots of great tips ...(I had to take first 254 back last week as it was so noisy and rattly and I let ladies in the help kitchen listen to it and they agreed ...) anyway I exchanged it for another and made a loaf - first one without using a mix!!! I made the sandwhich loaf overnight .... and I used 20 ml less water - but it was the white loaf and I must admit although it was great - tasty - soft - it was not very big and I wonder if it was cos I used 20ml less water ... I have only just read what Andy put - for brown bread .... maybe I misunderstood what Jenny was telling me .... sorry Jenny if I did!! Is that rule of thumb only for brown bread then?? Thanks you very much. Maggie:j
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    we've just bought one of those little plug in energy monitors from maplins (£8) you plug in an appliance and it shows the cost for your tarrif(you type in the amount first). For my morphy richards bread maker on the normal loaf setting (takes exactly 3 hours) it is 3 pence for the electricity.
    I spend 25 pence on the ingredients so 28 pence per loaf all told.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure