Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    • 3,543Posts
    • 20,434Thanks
    misscousinitt
    misscousinitt's MF Diary
    • 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    misscousinitt's MF Diary 1st Mar 11 at 1:49 PM
    Hi all

I have posted on here before about becoming MF, but not alot was done as we had the wedding last year and that seemed to take up most of our time.

We are debt-free, have savings and have a tiny mortgage compared to most (approx £19k) - but on a fixed rate of 6.29% until June 2012 - so not a huge scope for overpaying, but we want to make a start.

Mortgage and house has now been transferred into both our names so I thought that it was now the best time for us to start overpaying.

DH is on board, but as I deal with all the day to day money then it will fall to me to decide how much each OP will be and down to me to actually go and make them.

I've only set a small target for this year - just £750; but we will see how it goes as we could overpay up to approx £1800 under the terms of the mortgage.

Overall goal is get the mortgage down so when we do move we get into less debt. The ultimate goal will be MF by the time I'm 50 (11 years and 1 week!) but that will all depend on how big our next mortgage is and how circumstances change.

First over-payment made yesterday of £70.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £93679.00 (11.09.2017)
    OP's to Date £4500

Renovation Fund:£944.75;
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
Page 123
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 14th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Was interested to read on Alex's thread about Poverty Mentality! I looked it up and I think this is the reason I am fighting with myself. It's an interesting concept and one I need to grasp I think. Obviously on here we are focused on money - but it's how to make the best of what we have got and I think I have been thinking far too much about how much I won't have if I go SE (moneywise) - but I need to think about all the things I will gain like my heath, my mental health, time, job satisfaction etc...

Jobs finished round Mum's for now - she was very grateful.

Charity job to be done later after shopping, petrol and prescription fetching - at least it will be out of the way.

Will ring DH and ask him to get chopping and grating so I can get tea and tomorrow's tea sorted when I get home.

Forgot to mention that we finally have a radiator in the kitchen - shame it's taken till the weather is getting better, but I shouldn't be un-grateful £50 from renovation pot paid for the fitting (plus he drained the system and re-set the boiler and it seems to be working alot better now).

A bit of money from Toy Fair etc... paid in today - will transfer to the CC.

I made a bit of a booboo by paying our over-night stay off the wrong CC! Oh well, can be easily jigged around - just need to adjust spreadsheets and pay the right account!! It is looking like we might be able to clear the CC that we owe on for the kitchen and the roof by the end of this month - that will be fantastic! and a big weight off my mind.

Tonight's tea is chicken stir fry; tomorrow's is HM Cottage Pie...

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,397 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Poverty mentality ... being around my brother has shown me that I have a huge problem with this. Must work on it!
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 27th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Been away a while.

Hope to be back soon.

MCI xx
    OP's to Date £4500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 27th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,397 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hope everything's okay, MCI, or fixable, at least. Thinking of you.
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 4th Apr 17, 1:39 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Well, I really don't know where to start...I think life has been getting on top of me a bit lately.

However, there are good things ahead and I need to keep focusing on that.

Since I last posted properly there have been a couple of occasions (including DHs birthday) and we have gone out and enjoyed ourselves without breaking the bank.

Been a bit worried about my Mum - she doesn't seem quite with it at the moment and I am making an effort to go and see her more times during the week.

On the money front, I think I have been fretting far too much and it's not helping me get to grips with things. I have been working through figures slowly and now starting to come out the other side.

Work is still a noose around my neck and I can't wait for the next stage.

Next stage planning is in full swing.

Charity fundraiser on Saturday - I am hoping it all goes well.

I am very tired at the moment and DH has been golden trying to help with the cooking etc...I need some better quality sleep, but I also need to brighten my mood. Need to pull myself back up and focus once more on the positives.

I am making a conscious effort over the next couple of weeks to cut down on wine, drink more water and eat more fruit and veg. I am due to go for a blood test for my thyroid - it might be that my dose needs to be increased - I still haven't recovered all the weight I lost at the end of last year - it's a slow process; but I really could do with doing it as healthily as possible rather than stuffing myself with cake!

We are still eating bits and bobs from the freezer and I am trying to keep spends down to a minimum - just under budget for March! Which considering it was a five week month and I had a trip to the Chinese supermarket is not too bad really.

I don't think I am going to be on much over the next few weeks - pop on occasionally to try and keep up with diaries - but I feel a bit disheartened to write about my own life at the moment.

Not to worry, I will get there.

Be back soon.

MCI xx
    OP's to Date £4500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Apr 17, 4:34 PM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,397 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sorry to hear you're feeling so rough, MCI - I'm sure you're right about water, fruit and veg and lots of sleep - *lots* of sleep, that will be affecting your mood more than you realise, I'd take a big bet on that. Don't worry about not posting, of course - your diary is for *your* benefit, and if being online starts to sap you (as the prospect of dealing with my ISP is beginning to sap me!!!) then don't do it when you don't have to.

Lots of dodgy hugs.
    Retired August 2016
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 4th Apr 17, 11:24 PM
    • 7,755 Posts
    • 86,522 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Hi MCI, sending a huge hug to you. Life can be an @rse at times and having a bit of time out sounds like a plan.

Take it easy, Tilly xxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 13th Apr 17, 1:24 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thank you girls.

Not sticking around, just thought I'd pop on to say I have another SE adventure planed for Saturday - only thing that's keeping me going at the moment.

Hope everyone is ok.

MCI xx
    OP's to Date £4500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 3rd May 17, 1:42 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hi everyone

Still not ready to come back full time at the moment. Still feeling rather stressed.

I thought I would just pop in to say that I am lurking occasionally and that things are progressing.

Exciting and scary times ahead - I will be pleased to update you all when I am able to.

MCI x
    OP's to Date £4500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 3rd May 17, 7:02 PM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,397 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Still here, still ready I'm glad things are progressing a little bit for you - and *very* glad that there's some excitement in the mix!
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 8th May 17, 1:28 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Just popping on to say made an OP of £500 today!

Will update the figures when our account has registered the OP.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 9th May 17, 1:29 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Signature up to date - well the mortgage part of it anyway.

Hope we can keep this going when my plans kick in...

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 17th May 17, 1:56 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Another SE adventure planned for this weekend.

More plans put into place and looking forward to getting them into action (rather than just on paper).

Have applied for (and got) a 30 month interest free credit card to help me on my journey - would have rather done it all credit free - but it's just not going to happen with all the money we have spent over the last 12 months - I won't use more than I have in reserve though - just don't want to leave myself with nothing to fall back on.

12 days till we go away on holiday to Dorset - I really can't wait - I so need a break.

When I get back the plan will be swinging into action.

I hope everyone is well.

MCI
    OP's to Date £4500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th May 17, 10:54 AM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,397 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Lovely to think your holiday's so close. Don't tire yourself out with cleaning and wanting to leave the house nice before you go
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 26th May 17, 11:31 AM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Really looking forward to our break away - starting tomorrow morning.

I am not ready!! Clothes are washed, but haven't sorted what I am taking or packed anything - it will be a situation where I just chuck a few things in a case!

Can't wait to get away - it's been intense the last few weeks.

Hope everyone is well.

Catch up when I get back.

MCI x
    OP's to Date £4500

• Radish72
    • By Radish72 26th May 17, 12:08 PM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 11,629 Thanks
    Radish72
    Have a fab holiday
    Mortgage Aug12 £165K, May17 £47800
    OP's in 2017 £3000 ish
    ISA challenge start 2017 £3000/£500 (16%)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 26th May 17, 12:27 PM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,397 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Have a brilliant time - it's all clean, you can take whatever you want
    Retired August 2016
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 26th May 17, 3:04 PM
    • 3,798 Posts
    • 34,628 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Happy holidays MCI
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Outstanding balance: ~£41,500
    Current total overpayments: ~£116,750
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 12th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,434 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hi everyone

Sorry I have been away so long.

We had a lovely time in Dorset - walking, eating, drinking, getting rained on and basking in the sun. Fabulous! we are thinking about getting a self catering cottage next time (they have some really reasonable ones surprisingly!)

I have come back to work and I have finally done it! I have handed my notice in and I am leaving on 21 July!

I can now reveal my SE plan!

I am going to be doing market stalls/farmers markets selling baked sweet treats, savouries, soups and foodie gifts. Also plan to sell online for the foodie gifts.

It has been a long time coming and I have been so stressed about money and how we will cope without my reasonable steady income - but I am sure that the happiness I will get from doing my own thing will help me - money isn't everything.

They were very shocked at work - didn't see it coming at all. I will be leaving just shy of 23 years working for the company and to be fair I will not be sad to leave engineering behind me (it's ingrained and it will always be with me I suppose). I look forward to the new challenges ahead and if it all goes pear shaped I could be working in sainsbobs in 18 months time.

I am at a time in my life when I need to do this - it's a now or never situation and I really don't want to be stuck behind a desk for the next 20 years!

The beginning of last week was so upsetting - I will really miss the people - they are family to me (most of them). But I am calmer now and trying to get my paperwork together for my HACCP studies for producing my food - so I have something to focus on.

Keeping an eye on the pennies is going to be essential from now on - so I hope to be on here a little more often than I have been.

Our rental is void at the moment, but we still get the rent - so hopefully someone will be in there soon - just makes me a little uneasy when it's empty. We will continue to use this money to OP wherever possible - but if things get too tight we may have to dip into this - but I am not going to worry - it is there to be used.

I am going to go back to meal planning for the month and I am going to set myself some mini goals to keep me focused.

I have got myself a new mobile and DH is paying for this at the moment (had a company one for years!). Have put things in place to finally get the gas and electric swapped from PAYG to direct debit and that should be happening at the end of July - so much less hassle and cheaper in the long run.

Next job is to get my eyes tested , claim my new glasses and then reduce my healthcare payments down for the time being. Also got to look at what I need to do to keep my pension going - but this will be at a greatly reduced rate for about 12 months and then I can look at lump sum contributions - but this is a long time off. DH said he would pay a contribution for me if things get too tight - but until I start in earnest I am really not going to know!

Sorry for the long post - needed to dump everything down and finally you know what is going on with me. Been very anxious in recent weeks and I've found it difficult to concentrate on everything - hopefully things will start to improve now.

Hope you are all well - I have a huge amount of catching up to do!

MCI x
    OP's to Date £4500

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,397 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Congratulations on plucking up the courage to do it, I'm sure you won't regret taking the plunge.
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,964Posts Today

7,658Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin