Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    • 3,506Posts
    • 20,108Thanks
    misscousinitt
    misscousinitt's MF Diary
    • 1st Mar 11, 1:49 PM
    misscousinitt's MF Diary 1st Mar 11 at 1:49 PM
    Hi all

I have posted on here before about becoming MF, but not alot was done as we had the wedding last year and that seemed to take up most of our time.

We are debt-free, have savings and have a tiny mortgage compared to most (approx £19k) - but on a fixed rate of 6.29% until June 2012 - so not a huge scope for overpaying, but we want to make a start.

Mortgage and house has now been transferred into both our names so I thought that it was now the best time for us to start overpaying.

DH is on board, but as I deal with all the day to day money then it will fall to me to decide how much each OP will be and down to me to actually go and make them.

I've only set a small target for this year - just £750; but we will see how it goes as we could overpay up to approx £1800 under the terms of the mortgage.

Overall goal is get the mortgage down so when we do move we get into less debt. The ultimate goal will be MF by the time I'm 50 (11 years and 1 week!) but that will all depend on how big our next mortgage is and how circumstances change.

First over-payment made yesterday of £70.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £96,928.40 (07.03.2017)
    OP's to Date £300

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £0 - all done
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
Page 123
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 14th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 3,506 Posts
    • 20,108 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Was interested to read on Alex's thread about Poverty Mentality! I looked it up and I think this is the reason I am fighting with myself. It's an interesting concept and one I need to grasp I think. Obviously on here we are focused on money - but it's how to make the best of what we have got and I think I have been thinking far too much about how much I won't have if I go SE (moneywise) - but I need to think about all the things I will gain like my heath, my mental health, time, job satisfaction etc...

Jobs finished round Mum's for now - she was very grateful.

Charity job to be done later after shopping, petrol and prescription fetching - at least it will be out of the way.

Will ring DH and ask him to get chopping and grating so I can get tea and tomorrow's tea sorted when I get home.

Forgot to mention that we finally have a radiator in the kitchen - shame it's taken till the weather is getting better, but I shouldn't be un-grateful £50 from renovation pot paid for the fitting (plus he drained the system and re-set the boiler and it seems to be working alot better now).

A bit of money from Toy Fair etc... paid in today - will transfer to the CC.

I made a bit of a booboo by paying our over-night stay off the wrong CC! Oh well, can be easily jigged around - just need to adjust spreadsheets and pay the right account!! It is looking like we might be able to clear the CC that we owe on for the kitchen and the roof by the end of this month - that will be fantastic! and a big weight off my mind.

Tonight's tea is chicken stir fry; tomorrow's is HM Cottage Pie...

MCI
    OP's to Date £300

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £0 - all done
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    • 27,103 Posts
    • 145,242 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Poverty mentality ... being around my brother has shown me that I have a huge problem with this. Must work on it!
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 27th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 3,506 Posts
    • 20,108 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Been away a while.

Hope to be back soon.

MCI xx
    OP's to Date £300

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 27th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    • 27,103 Posts
    • 145,242 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hope everything's okay, MCI, or fixable, at least. Thinking of you.
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 4th Apr 17, 1:39 PM
    • 3,506 Posts
    • 20,108 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Well, I really don't know where to start...I think life has been getting on top of me a bit lately.

However, there are good things ahead and I need to keep focusing on that.

Since I last posted properly there have been a couple of occasions (including DHs birthday) and we have gone out and enjoyed ourselves without breaking the bank.

Been a bit worried about my Mum - she doesn't seem quite with it at the moment and I am making an effort to go and see her more times during the week.

On the money front, I think I have been fretting far too much and it's not helping me get to grips with things. I have been working through figures slowly and now starting to come out the other side.

Work is still a noose around my neck and I can't wait for the next stage.

Next stage planning is in full swing.

Charity fundraiser on Saturday - I am hoping it all goes well.

I am very tired at the moment and DH has been golden trying to help with the cooking etc...I need some better quality sleep, but I also need to brighten my mood. Need to pull myself back up and focus once more on the positives.

I am making a conscious effort over the next couple of weeks to cut down on wine, drink more water and eat more fruit and veg. I am due to go for a blood test for my thyroid - it might be that my dose needs to be increased - I still haven't recovered all the weight I lost at the end of last year - it's a slow process; but I really could do with doing it as healthily as possible rather than stuffing myself with cake!

We are still eating bits and bobs from the freezer and I am trying to keep spends down to a minimum - just under budget for March! Which considering it was a five week month and I had a trip to the Chinese supermarket is not too bad really.

I don't think I am going to be on much over the next few weeks - pop on occasionally to try and keep up with diaries - but I feel a bit disheartened to write about my own life at the moment.

Not to worry, I will get there.

Be back soon.

MCI xx
    OP's to Date £300

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Apr 17, 4:34 PM
    • 27,103 Posts
    • 145,242 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sorry to hear you're feeling so rough, MCI - I'm sure you're right about water, fruit and veg and lots of sleep - *lots* of sleep, that will be affecting your mood more than you realise, I'd take a big bet on that. Don't worry about not posting, of course - your diary is for *your* benefit, and if being online starts to sap you (as the prospect of dealing with my ISP is beginning to sap me!!!) then don't do it when you don't have to.

Lots of dodgy hugs.
    Retired August 2016

• Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 4th Apr 17, 11:24 PM
    • 7,644 Posts
    • 85,404 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Hi MCI, sending a huge hug to you. Life can be an @rse at times and having a bit of time out sounds like a plan.

Take it easy, Tilly xxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 13th Apr 17, 1:24 PM
    • 3,506 Posts
    • 20,108 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Thank you girls.

Not sticking around, just thought I'd pop on to say I have another SE adventure planed for Saturday - only thing that's keeping me going at the moment.

Hope everyone is ok.

MCI xx
    OP's to Date £300

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,185Posts Today

8,684Users online

Martin's Twitter