what luxuries have you cut

back on in the last five years? and how much have you saved?

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well, We don't go to the pub on Fridays anymore, but that was easy and was because we didn't want to go anymore. That cost £12.80 :o we only had two drinks each.

I only buy about one magazine a year now, at full price, so expensive :eek: to be honest, I think more of my £3.80 now. Use Tesco vouchers instead.

We always used to buy Nescalf and Aerial, now use value brands there.
  • I've just bought a clothes horse and timers for my plug in electric radiators for the bedrooms which has stopped me from over-using the tumble dryer and forgetting the radiators are on all the time...it has cut my electric usage in half over the last 4 weeks!!!
    I have also got rid of my car last week which has saved me about £60 already in petrol, insurance, tax etc...and the dogs are loving it cos they are getting loads more walks! lol
    Using my breadmaker for the last 2 weeks must have cut my bread bill in half to (minimum)
    Why does my dog chase cars? Even if he caught one he hasn't passed his test!
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    well i've had 3 kids in the last 5 years, so nights out ahve been cut way back lol

i use value brand tea bags now, and i cheaper brand coffee :), i completely cut out fabric softener and colour catchers, and i stopped buying a bottle of wine for at home because i kept drinking one glass then leaving it in the fridge for 6 months, also i used to buy about £5 of mags a week now i troll random forums instead :D and i don't buy the paper anymore either i read mil on a sat :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • artichoke
    artichoke Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    hum - we used to buy pizza's and have takea-away curry's once a week...

but now we have HM pizza's and HM garlic bread and HM currys with lots of HM side dishes etc...

not sure how much it has saved - but we all prefer HM pizza now to shop bought... and i am getting really into experimenting with currys...

off to make a vegetable dansak for tea tomorrow..

art
    art
  • We have cut back on going to the pub, takeaways and magazines. The fiorst two happen once in a blue moon and we just do not buy magazines anymore. I have also stopped driving to work as they put the fees up to £17 a month so a massive saving there. We buy own brand tea and coffee, cook from scratch and make our own bread. I have to say though that cooking from scratch and using own brands does not feel like we are missing out at all.
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
  • mrswive
    mrswive Posts: 129 Forumite
    OH and I used to have a coffee and lunch if we were out for the day; now we go out for the day a lot less often and when we do we share a large mocha/latte or whatever we fancy. It's cheaper than buying two small ones and with a Caffe Nero loyalty card, every 10th one is free (btw it's worth checking the empty tables as people often leave a card with a few stamps on it behind - every little helps!)
    We either have some kind of picnic lunch or, if we're really splashing out - once in a blue moon - I print out a restaurant voucher for a 2 for 1. Last month we had a lovely day out in Winchester, a caramel latte with cream, and a nice lunch at ASK all for less than £15 including parking.
    I don't know how much this saves but a welcome side effect is that I enjoy these treats so much more these days as they are fewer and further between; if you're doing it every week it ceases to be a treat!
  • -wine
    -beer
    -magazines
    -take aways
    -got rid of my car (lost 2 stone in weight!)
    -premium brands (shop at lidl and buy whoopsies from co-op)
    - coffee in coffee shops

dont miss any of them, paid off the mortgage and saving up now, dont owe anyone a bean...and its a great feeling :)
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • mrswive
    mrswive Posts: 129 Forumite
    Desperate Housewife - Well done! That's quite an achievement.
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    We make a lot more of our own meals, can't remember the last time we bought a "ready meal" and very rarely have wasted food, that has probably been the biggest change.

I now drive more for work, so walk/public transport nearly everywhere else.

Stopped drinking alcohol, but still go out for meals a couple of times a month - nearly always on offers.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Less eating out, even in cheap cafes!
    My clothes are mainly second hand or gifts (although I can find second hand clothes that are nicer than some new ones!).
    I knit more practical things now, and only buy wool that is worth the price!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure