Getting Insurance with a criminal record

Options
Help,

Does anyone know any good companies where I can get Insurance (Home + Contents+ Motor). I have recently been convicted of an offence and got a suspended sentence.

I am now finding it impossible to get insured!!!

Please help if you can

Comments

• Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    What sort offence was it? Was it motoring? Disception (theft/ fraud etc)?... depending on what sort of offence it is will dictate how difficult it will make getting insurance
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • nomdeplomb
    Options
    It was not a fraud offence, or motoring or Arson!

i would rather not say exactly what it was but it did not involve dishonesty or anythign like that.
  • A_little_stressed!!
    Options
    You don't have any personal info on your profile so no-one will know who you are. It might be easier just to say, then when you've got all the help you need change ur username.
    I'm getting older, and lifes getting harder!:mad:
  • nomdeplomb
    Options
    I would rather not say.

It was not fraud, assault, arson, murder, rape, drugs or theft.

I got a suspended prison sentence so it was serious.
  • Astaroth
    Options
    Could try:
    http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/fairplay-detail-go.php
    http://www.unlock.org.uk/xoffenders.aspx?id=4

If it is a "serious" crime then most mainstream insurers will not want to touch you because what they see serious crimes as "clearly indicate a poor moral hazard"
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
  • nomdeplomb
    Options
    Cheers Astaroth I will have a look at those.

Anyone know any others?
  • Tim_Dodd_2
    Options
    Astaroth wrote:
    Could try:
    http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/fairplay-detail-go.php
    http://www.unlock.org.uk/xoffenders.aspx?id=4

If it is a "serious" crime then most mainstream insurers will not want to touch you because what they see serious crimes as "clearly indicate a poor moral hazard"

I'd like to add that you MUST declare your conviction history (motoring or otherwise) or your insurance will be invalid.

There are a few insurance providers out there who will take you on. I believe Performance Direct may be one of them.
  • Astaroth
    Options
    nomdeplomb wrote:
    Cheers Astaroth I will have a look at those.

Anyone know any others?

No problem... this isnt a sector of the market that I have looked into professionally nor personally so cannot comment on the standards/ prices of either of the brokers
  • katiee_2
    Options
    nomdeplomb wrote: »
    Help,
    Does anyone know any good companies where I can get Insurance (Home + Contents+ Motor). I have recently been convicted of an offence and got a suspended sentence.
    I am now finding it impossible to get insured!!!
    Please help if you can

Almost anything is available for enough money.
    Several insurance companies specialize in provide insurance to higher risk clients, but they charge higher premium payment. Look for companies that insure drivers convicted of DUI. Then inquire if they insure other things.

To see what they see, you can find out what shows on your own background check. You did not say what state your are in, but his an example for Nebraska.
    Nebraska has its own public records statues for obtaining public information. Before attempting to obtain a Nebraska background check, know the laws and the appropriate steps to follow.
    The Attorney General office for the state of Nebraska has its laws for obtaining public records for a Nebraska background check on the web at http://www.ago.state.ne.us/ . Individual offices you contact may charge a reasonable fee for photocopying, faxing, mailing or emailing information for your Nebraska background check. You can contact most Nebraska government offices via email, mail, in person, or telephone. Keep in mind often times some of the counties will not have as much information available on the web.
  • stooby
    stooby Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    Try Culpeck Insurance Services - they have schemes for just this type of thing. You might wanna do a search 'cos this cropped up a while ago and there were some other suggestions too.
    Out of Darkness Cometh Light, Out of Sandwell Cometh S***e...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure