Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Ford Evans Halshaw rip me off! (Portway, Preston) (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Ford Evans Halshaw rip me off! (Portway, Preston)
Closed Thread
Views: 3,373
# 1
aviator
Old 16-02-2011, 11:22 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Ford Evans Halshaw rip me off! (Portway, Preston)

My Ford Focus (1.8 TDCi 54') had a fault with the electric windows, so i booked myself in with Evans Halshaw (Portway, Preston), fully aware of being charge a premium price.

The problem i had was, all four windows would intermittently wind down, when attempting to lock/unlock the car using the keyfob.

Visit 1: £75 - At Ford, after the initial diagnostic they advised me i needed to replace a MODULE in the car - i was told the "module" currently fitted in my car was faulty and that a new module would definitely resolve the issue.

Visit 2: £375 - Reluctantly, i parted with a further £375 using my Visa Debit card and had this new 'module' fitted (08/02/2011). When i reached my car to drive out of the FORD forecourt, i found that the problem was NOT resolved. Immediately i walked back into the Service Centre and informed the Service Desk manager of the issue.

I was then advised to return on the weekend, so the mechanics could check the problem again.

At this point i was beginning to think, either an incorrect diagnosis had been done OR no work had been carried out – either way I was being ripped off!

Visit 3: I returned on the Saturday (16/02/2011) and I left my car with the mechanics.

Couple of days later, i received a call from Ford (Carl – Service Centre Manager) who stated that my car was ready and the problem was now solved. He explained the fault was with the 'key-fob'. At which point, i stated that if their original diagnosis had been correct, then i would only have been charged a total sum of £200 (£125 = NEW Key FOB + £75 Diagnostic); instead, their incorrect diagnosis had cost me £425 (£350 = Module + £75 Diagnostic). I continued by asking for a partial-refund, to which Carl responded “I agree the module should not have been fitted and we are sorry, but we are unable to provide a refund, however we will not charge you for the new-fob).

I explained to him again, the incorrect diagnosis had left me almost £200 out of pocket – he listened and then again responded by telling me he couldn’t do anything and that he wouldn’t be charging for the new key fob.

Visit 4: Ive now picked my car up and the problem with the electrics seems to be resolved.

After 4 visits and a poor service, I feel extremely annoyed having being ripped off – when the very reason I took my car to Ford was to receive a premium service.

Is there anyone who can help me? If there anyway I can have my money returned?
Should I consult a solicitor? Or even trading standards.

Thanks in advance
AP
# 2
harveybobbles
Old 16-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Ask to have your old Module fitted and sell the new on on eBay?
# 3
Gene_Hunt
Old 16-02-2011, 11:30 AM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
My Ford Focus (1.8 TDCi 54') had a fault with the electric windows, so i booked myself in with Evans Halshaw (Portway, Preston), fully aware of being charge a premium price.

The problem i had was, all four windows would intermittently wind down, when attempting to lock/unlock the car using the keyfob.

Visit 1: £75 - At Ford, after the initial diagnostic they advised me i needed to replace a MODULE in the car - i was told the "module" currently fitted in my car was faulty and that a new module would definitely resolve the issue.

Visit 2: £375 - Reluctantly, i parted with a further £375 using my Visa Debit card and had this new 'module' fitted (08/02/2011). When i reached my car to drive out of the FORD forecourt, i found that the problem was NOT resolved. Immediately i walked back into the Service Centre and informed the Service Desk manager of the issue.

I was then advised to return on the weekend, so the mechanics could check the problem again.

At this point i was beginning to think, either an incorrect diagnosis had been done OR no work had been carried out – either way I was being ripped off!

Visit 3: I returned on the Saturday (16/02/2011) and I left my car with the mechanics.

Couple of days later, i received a call from Ford (Carl – Service Centre Manager) who stated that my car was ready and the problem was now solved. He explained the fault was with the 'key-fob'. At which point, i stated that if their original diagnosis had been correct, then i would only have been charged a total sum of £200 (£125 = NEW Key FOB + £75 Diagnostic); instead, their incorrect diagnosis had cost me £425 (£350 = Module + £75 Diagnostic). I continued by asking for a partial-refund, to which Carl responded “I agree the module should not have been fitted and we are sorry, but we are unable to provide a refund, however we will not charge you for the new-fob).

I explained to him again, the incorrect diagnosis had left me almost £200 out of pocket – he listened and then again responded by telling me he couldn’t do anything and that he wouldn’t be charging for the new key fob.

Visit 4: Ive now picked my car up and the problem with the electrics seems to be resolved.

After 4 visits and a poor service, I feel extremely annoyed having being ripped off – when the very reason I took my car to Ford was to receive a premium service.

Is there anyone who can help me? If there anyway I can have my money returned?
Should I consult a solicitor? Or even trading standards.

Thanks in advance
AP
Yes, if you feel that strong about it spend some more money on the issue. On the other hand the car is now fixed so move on.
# 4
Gene_Hunt
Old 16-02-2011, 11:34 AM
PPR

Quote:
Funny you should say this - ive already asked this and they have refused. Its now got to a stage, were they are refusing to answer my calls or return my calls.

Thanks
AP
If you have evidence of being ripped off then got to a solicitor or trading standards. My guess is you don't.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gene_Hunt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Gene_Hunt
Old 16-02-2011, 11:36 AM
PPR

Quote:
Thanks - but you have to agree, given that financially im finding it difficult to make ends meet, £200 is alot of money to me.

Thanks
So put it in that hands of a solicitor (a person who makes a living out of such things) and take the matter to court. If you lose you will be £1000's not £200 down.
# 6
Strider590
Old 16-02-2011, 11:58 AM

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=924595
Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
# 7
Gene_Hunt
Old 16-02-2011, 12:01 PM
PPR

Quote:
geee thanks! - get ripped off and stay quiet about it.
That's how it is, do you think you have a case you would win?
# 8
Inactive
Old 16-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
geee thanks! - get ripped off and stay quiet about it.
You need to balance your chances of winning any case against them, against the cost of losing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inactive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Gene_Hunt
Old 16-02-2011, 12:09 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
You need to balance your chances of winning any case against them, against the cost of losing.
My guess is he can't afford to lose.
# 10
sarahg1969
Old 16-02-2011, 1:21 PM

Even if he loses, the court is unlikely to award the other side "thousands" in costs.

OP, if you feel very strongly about this, write to Evans Halshaw, pointing out your experience, what you were told by the staff, and asking for reimbursement. When you receive their reply, you can decide if you want to take it further.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahg1969 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Gene_Hunt
Old 16-02-2011, 1:32 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahg1969 View Post
Even if he loses, the court is unlikely to award the other side "thousands" in costs.

OP, if you feel very strongly about this, write to Evans Halshaw, pointing out your experience, what you were told by the staff, and asking for reimbursement. When you receive their reply, you can decide if you want to take it further.
I was thinking more of his legal costs, which aren;t going to be cheap.
# 12
sarahg1969
Old 16-02-2011, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene_Hunt View Post
I was thinking more of his legal costs, which aren;t going to be cheap.
It would be a case of completing a straightforward claim form, then dealign with the court procedures. No need for legal representation or even advice. If he struggles, the court would assist in explaining the process.

And, anyway, if you are talking about his own legal costs, he'd be thousands of pounds down even if he won, because they'd not be recoverable against the other side.
# 13
rca779
Old 16-02-2011, 1:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Do you have legal cover on your car insurance policy?
# 14
Gene_Hunt
Old 16-02-2011, 2:18 PM
PPR

Quote:
Hmmm im not sure. How will this help me?

Thanks
It won't..........
# 15
wba31
Old 16-02-2011, 2:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The key issue in this (no pun intended) to me is that it was one of (as we know it) two problems. Key fob or module. I had similar problems in 2 307s i had, and was told it was one or the other, and Peugeot always did the cheapest job first (in their case, electric windows motor in drivers door) which worked on both cars. If Ford mechanics are aware of these faults, should they not have offered to try a new key fob first? unless, 99% of the time it's the module, and they thought by doing that and not doing key fob, then module, they were hoping to save your cash?
# 16
NeverAgain
Old 16-02-2011, 2:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There is a function on some Ford key fobs which will open all the windows when unlocking the car and close any open windows when locking it.

Common sense tells me the key fob might be the first place to look for the fault in the OP's car.

I've heard several stories of dealers who try this, try that, until the problem is solved, charging the customer each time.

It's purely pot luck how many parts they change until they happen on the right one.

Looks like the the OP has, effectively, paid £425 for a key fob.

I think he has a reasonably strong moral case for a partial refund.

Worth approaching the dealer's head office, more in hope than expectation.
# 17
Strider590
Old 16-02-2011, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverAgain View Post
There is a function on some Ford key fobs which will open all the windows when unlocking the car and close any open windows when locking it.

Common sense tells me the key fob might be the first place to look for the fault in the OP's car.
But the key fob wouldn't stop the door panel controls operating the windows (the OP isn't too clear on the fault though).

And they would have plugged into a diagnostics machine which tells them what to change, logic doesn't come into it.
Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
# 18
Flyboy152
Old 16-02-2011, 3:21 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahg1969 View Post

I don't think that is the case in the small claims court.
Closed Thread