Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    aviator
    Ford Evans Halshaw rip me off! (Portway, Preston)
    • 16th Feb 11, 10:22 AM
    Ford Evans Halshaw rip me off! (Portway, Preston) 16th Feb 11 at 10:22 AM
    My Ford Focus (1.8 TDCi 54') had a fault with the electric windows, so i booked myself in with Evans Halshaw (Portway, Preston), fully aware of being charge a premium price.

The problem i had was, all four windows would intermittently wind down, when attempting to lock/unlock the car using the keyfob.

Visit 1: 75 - At Ford, after the initial diagnostic they advised me i needed to replace a MODULE in the car - i was told the "module" currently fitted in my car was faulty and that a new module would definitely resolve the issue.

Visit 2: 375 - Reluctantly, i parted with a further 375 using my Visa Debit card and had this new 'module' fitted (08/02/2011). When i reached my car to drive out of the FORD forecourt, i found that the problem was NOT resolved. Immediately i walked back into the Service Centre and informed the Service Desk manager of the issue.

I was then advised to return on the weekend, so the mechanics could check the problem again.

At this point i was beginning to think, either an incorrect diagnosis had been done OR no work had been carried out either way I was being ripped off!

Visit 3: I returned on the Saturday (16/02/2011) and I left my car with the mechanics.

Couple of days later, i received a call from Ford (Carl Service Centre Manager) who stated that my car was ready and the problem was now solved. He explained the fault was with the 'key-fob'. At which point, i stated that if their original diagnosis had been correct, then i would only have been charged a total sum of 200 (125 = NEW Key FOB + 75 Diagnostic); instead, their incorrect diagnosis had cost me 425 (350 = Module + 75 Diagnostic). I continued by asking for a partial-refund, to which Carl responded I agree the module should not have been fitted and we are sorry, but we are unable to provide a refund, however we will not charge you for the new-fob).

I explained to him again, the incorrect diagnosis had left me almost 200 out of pocket he listened and then again responded by telling me he couldnt do anything and that he wouldnt be charging for the new key fob.

Visit 4: Ive now picked my car up and the problem with the electrics seems to be resolved.

After 4 visits and a poor service, I feel extremely annoyed having being ripped off when the very reason I took my car to Ford was to receive a premium service.

Is there anyone who can help me? If there anyway I can have my money returned?
    Should I consult a solicitor? Or even trading standards.

Thanks in advance
    AP
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,591Posts Today

6,097Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Excitedly on my way to see @BritAthletics #BritishChamps in Birmingham - bringing Mrs MSE with to try & convert her to the sport! You going?

• I pledge to organise street protest if govt freezes student loan repay threshold - a retrospective price hike. See http://t.co/oF99EWBpIZ RT

• NEWS! UK savings safety protection drops to £75000 from £85000 at the end of 2015 (due to euro rate change as EU rules set it at ?100000)

• Follow Martin