Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    aviator
    Ford Evans Halshaw rip me off! (Portway, Preston)
    • 16th Feb 11, 10:22 AM
    Ford Evans Halshaw rip me off! (Portway, Preston) 16th Feb 11 at 10:22 AM
    My Ford Focus (1.8 TDCi 54') had a fault with the electric windows, so i booked myself in with Evans Halshaw (Portway, Preston), fully aware of being charge a premium price.

The problem i had was, all four windows would intermittently wind down, when attempting to lock/unlock the car using the keyfob.

Visit 1: £75 - At Ford, after the initial diagnostic they advised me i needed to replace a MODULE in the car - i was told the "module" currently fitted in my car was faulty and that a new module would definitely resolve the issue.

Visit 2: £375 - Reluctantly, i parted with a further £375 using my Visa Debit card and had this new 'module' fitted (08/02/2011). When i reached my car to drive out of the FORD forecourt, i found that the problem was NOT resolved. Immediately i walked back into the Service Centre and informed the Service Desk manager of the issue.

I was then advised to return on the weekend, so the mechanics could check the problem again.

At this point i was beginning to think, either an incorrect diagnosis had been done OR no work had been carried out – either way I was being ripped off!

Visit 3: I returned on the Saturday (16/02/2011) and I left my car with the mechanics.

Couple of days later, i received a call from Ford (Carl – Service Centre Manager) who stated that my car was ready and the problem was now solved. He explained the fault was with the 'key-fob'. At which point, i stated that if their original diagnosis had been correct, then i would only have been charged a total sum of £200 (£125 = NEW Key FOB + £75 Diagnostic); instead, their incorrect diagnosis had cost me £425 (£350 = Module + £75 Diagnostic). I continued by asking for a partial-refund, to which Carl responded “I agree the module should not have been fitted and we are sorry, but we are unable to provide a refund, however we will not charge you for the new-fob).

I explained to him again, the incorrect diagnosis had left me almost £200 out of pocket – he listened and then again responded by telling me he couldn’t do anything and that he wouldn’t be charging for the new key fob.

Visit 4: Ive now picked my car up and the problem with the electrics seems to be resolved.

After 4 visits and a poor service, I feel extremely annoyed having being ripped off – when the very reason I took my car to Ford was to receive a premium service.

Is there anyone who can help me? If there anyway I can have my money returned?
    Should I consult a solicitor? Or even trading standards.

Thanks in advance
    AP
Page 1
    • harveybobbles
    • By harveybobbles 16th Feb 11, 10:28 AM
    • 8,757 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    harveybobbles
    • 16th Feb 11, 10:28 AM
    • 16th Feb 11, 10:28 AM
    Ask to have your old Module fitted and sell the new on on eBay?
  • Gene_Hunt
    • 16th Feb 11, 10:30 AM
    • 16th Feb 11, 10:30 AM
    My Ford Focus (1.8 TDCi 54') had a fault with the electric windows, so i booked myself in with Evans Halshaw (Portway, Preston), fully aware of being charge a premium price.

The problem i had was, all four windows would intermittently wind down, when attempting to lock/unlock the car using the keyfob.

Visit 1: £75 - At Ford, after the initial diagnostic they advised me i needed to replace a MODULE in the car - i was told the "module" currently fitted in my car was faulty and that a new module would definitely resolve the issue.

Visit 2: £375 - Reluctantly, i parted with a further £375 using my Visa Debit card and had this new 'module' fitted (08/02/2011). When i reached my car to drive out of the FORD forecourt, i found that the problem was NOT resolved. Immediately i walked back into the Service Centre and informed the Service Desk manager of the issue.

I was then advised to return on the weekend, so the mechanics could check the problem again.

At this point i was beginning to think, either an incorrect diagnosis had been done OR no work had been carried out – either way I was being ripped off!

Visit 3: I returned on the Saturday (16/02/2011) and I left my car with the mechanics.

Couple of days later, i received a call from Ford (Carl – Service Centre Manager) who stated that my car was ready and the problem was now solved. He explained the fault was with the 'key-fob'. At which point, i stated that if their original diagnosis had been correct, then i would only have been charged a total sum of £200 (£125 = NEW Key FOB + £75 Diagnostic); instead, their incorrect diagnosis had cost me £425 (£350 = Module + £75 Diagnostic). I continued by asking for a partial-refund, to which Carl responded “I agree the module should not have been fitted and we are sorry, but we are unable to provide a refund, however we will not charge you for the new-fob).

I explained to him again, the incorrect diagnosis had left me almost £200 out of pocket – he listened and then again responded by telling me he couldn’t do anything and that he wouldn’t be charging for the new key fob.

Visit 4: Ive now picked my car up and the problem with the electrics seems to be resolved.

After 4 visits and a poor service, I feel extremely annoyed having being ripped off – when the very reason I took my car to Ford was to receive a premium service.

Is there anyone who can help me? If there anyway I can have my money returned?
    Should I consult a solicitor? Or even trading standards.

Thanks in advance
    AP
    Originally posted by aviator
    Yes, if you feel that strong about it spend some more money on the issue. On the other hand the car is now fixed so move on.
  • Gene_Hunt
    • 16th Feb 11, 10:34 AM
    • 16th Feb 11, 10:34 AM
    Funny you should say this - ive already asked this and they have refused. Its now got to a stage, were they are refusing to answer my calls or return my calls.

Thanks
    AP
    If you have evidence of being ripped off then got to a solicitor or trading standards. My guess is you don't.
  • Gene_Hunt
    • 16th Feb 11, 10:36 AM
    • 16th Feb 11, 10:36 AM
    Thanks - but you have to agree, given that financially im finding it difficult to make ends meet, £200 is alot of money to me.

Thanks
    So put it in that hands of a solicitor (a person who makes a living out of such things) and take the matter to court. If you lose you will be £1000's not £200 down.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th Feb 11, 10:58 AM
    • 9,984 Posts
    • 5,455 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 16th Feb 11, 10:58 AM
    • 16th Feb 11, 10:58 AM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=924595
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
  • Gene_Hunt
    • 16th Feb 11, 11:01 AM
    • 16th Feb 11, 11:01 AM
    geee thanks! - get ripped off and stay quiet about it.
    That's how it is, do you think you have a case you would win?
  • Inactive
    • 16th Feb 11, 11:04 AM
    • 16th Feb 11, 11:04 AM
    geee thanks! - get ripped off and stay quiet about it.
    You need to balance your chances of winning any case against them, against the cost of losing.
  • Gene_Hunt
    • 16th Feb 11, 11:09 AM
    • 16th Feb 11, 11:09 AM
    You need to balance your chances of winning any case against them, against the cost of losing.
    Originally posted by Inactive
    My guess is he can't afford to lose.
    • sarahg1969
    • By sarahg1969 16th Feb 11, 12:21 PM
    • 6,434 Posts
    • 10,822 Thanks
    sarahg1969
    Even if he loses, the court is unlikely to award the other side "thousands" in costs.

OP, if you feel very strongly about this, write to Evans Halshaw, pointing out your experience, what you were told by the staff, and asking for reimbursement. When you receive their reply, you can decide if you want to take it further.
  • Gene_Hunt
    Even if he loses, the court is unlikely to award the other side "thousands" in costs.

OP, if you feel very strongly about this, write to Evans Halshaw, pointing out your experience, what you were told by the staff, and asking for reimbursement. When you receive their reply, you can decide if you want to take it further.
    Originally posted by sarahg1969
    I was thinking more of his legal costs, which aren;t going to be cheap.
    • sarahg1969
    • By sarahg1969 16th Feb 11, 12:39 PM
    • 6,434 Posts
    • 10,822 Thanks
    sarahg1969
    I was thinking more of his legal costs, which aren;t going to be cheap.
    Originally posted by Gene_Hunt
    It would be a case of completing a straightforward claim form, then dealign with the court procedures. No need for legal representation or even advice. If he struggles, the court would assist in explaining the process.

And, anyway, if you are talking about his own legal costs, he'd be thousands of pounds down even if he won, because they'd not be recoverable against the other side.
    • rca779
    • By rca779 16th Feb 11, 12:47 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    rca779
    Do you have legal cover on your car insurance policy?
  • Gene_Hunt
    Hmmm im not sure. How will this help me?

Thanks
    It won't..........
    • wba31
    • By wba31 16th Feb 11, 1:47 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    wba31
    The key issue in this (no pun intended) to me is that it was one of (as we know it) two problems. Key fob or module. I had similar problems in 2 307s i had, and was told it was one or the other, and Peugeot always did the cheapest job first (in their case, electric windows motor in drivers door) which worked on both cars. If Ford mechanics are aware of these faults, should they not have offered to try a new key fob first? unless, 99% of the time it's the module, and they thought by doing that and not doing key fob, then module, they were hoping to save your cash?
  • NeverAgain
    There is a function on some Ford key fobs which will open all the windows when unlocking the car and close any open windows when locking it.

Common sense tells me the key fob might be the first place to look for the fault in the OP's car.

I've heard several stories of dealers who try this, try that, until the problem is solved, charging the customer each time.

It's purely pot luck how many parts they change until they happen on the right one.

Looks like the the OP has, effectively, paid £425 for a key fob.

I think he has a reasonably strong moral case for a partial refund.

Worth approaching the dealer's head office, more in hope than expectation.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th Feb 11, 1:58 PM
    • 9,984 Posts
    • 5,455 Thanks
    Strider590
    There is a function on some Ford key fobs which will open all the windows when unlocking the car and close any open windows when locking it.

Common sense tells me the key fob might be the first place to look for the fault in the OP's car.
    Originally posted by NeverAgain
    But the key fob wouldn't stop the door panel controls operating the windows (the OP isn't too clear on the fault though).

And they would have plugged into a diagnostics machine which tells them what to change, logic doesn't come into it.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
  • Flyboy152

Originally posted by sarahg1969
    I don't think that is the case in the small claims court.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

3,332Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Brexit seems to have caused political anarchy. Huge Labour & Tory splits. People pushing to reneg on a plebiscite. Union potentially split.

• And a fantastic result for @JamesDasaolu too 9.93 (not legal wind). Looks great for Rio @BritAthletics

• Sitting in front of @jamesdesaolu family as 100m about to start. Even im feeling nervous because if it @BritAthletics

• Follow Martin