IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Gumtree/Ukash Scam or not?
Closed Thread
Views: 17,961
# 1
leew
Old 04-02-2011, 4:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Exclamation Gumtree/Ukash Scam or not?

Hi guys, i'm after some advice about something i'm looking to buy off Gumtree.

I'm very dubious to this having never payed for something in this manner before.

The seller has agreed with me the price etc and i said i can collect asap, cash on collection as they are local but i got this response:

Hi sorry 4 the late reply.. been tied up with a lot of work commitments outside of town so i've put the treadmill in UPS custody this afternoon at my cost incl shipping fees. If u agree with delivery I'll wait ur shipping address & phone no as they will call u before hand.
The treadmill will get to u in approx 1 day. You'll have 30 mins to inspect the pkge's content n void the shipment if something's wrong and the UPS agents will take it back, but everything is like I described so there shouldn't be any problems. For payment you'll need cash in hand.
Msg soon if u have any questions. Thx, Jen

I have now also got a couple of emails from UPS one being this one below

We wish to inform you that in order to release the package and establish an tracking number for your shipment the insured amount for the goods must be backed by a valid payment deposit. Your shipment is currently in pending status and will go in transit after you deposit the above insured amount value in our Package Insurance Program. In this regard we must inform you that we will be making the payment verification in around 1 to 12 hours. Once your payment is confirmed the package will enter transit and will arrive to you in 24 hours depending upon your location in United Kingdom. We will inform the sender that the payment was sent and the package was shipped as soon as we get the payment confirmation.

You need to deposit the insured amount in value of 125 GBP using UKASH voucher. You can purchase a UKASH voucher from any local shop that has the epay, PayPoint or Payzone sign sticker using cash. You can read more at www.ukash.com. Once the voucher is purchased please get back to us with the 19 digit voucher number so we can verify it. After payment is confirmed we will approve the package entrance into transit. When replying with the 19 digit voucher number also confirm that the above delivery address is correct to help avoid delay.

Please note that our Privacy Policy restricts us from receiving or implicitly handing over your personal financial details over the phone therefore payments via phone, credit credit or PayPal are not accepted.

If you have any questions or concerns please reply to this email for better correspondence.

UPS Package Inspection Finance Department.

UPS Email ID - [UK67966792SDE21A]

Any ideas??
The Following User Says Thank You to leew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
geo555
Old 04-02-2011, 4:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sound very dodgy. Why would an international company like UPS insist on some "unusual" payment method.
It is obviously a scam so don't bother following it up.
(".)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geo555 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
leew
Old 04-02-2011, 4:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo555 View Post
Sound very dodgy. Why would an international company like UPS insist on some "unusual" payment method.
It is obviously a scam so don't bother following it up.
Yeah sounds very fishy to me. I have emailed them back saying cash on pick up face to face or nothing!
# 4
soolin
Old 04-02-2011, 4:40 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

It's a scam, let Gumtree know as well so they can keep an eye on the 'seller' in case he posts more items.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Azari
Old 04-02-2011, 4:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew View Post
You'll have 30 mins to inspect the pkge's content n void the shipment if something's wrong and the UPS agents will take it back,
Are they suggesting that a courier driver will hang around for 30 mins whilst you examine a package?

The whole thing sounds downright weird.

It looks as if the 'seller' is trying to get you to buy a voucher so he can top up his phone.

Has scam written all over it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azari For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
jasons
Old 04-02-2011, 4:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Its a 100% scam...

UKCASH is the payment method of choice for scammers- there is no recourse, no contact or address details with it at all..

You'll not see your money again if paying anyone by this.

(speaking from experience from 2 weeks ago..)

J
The Following User Says Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
leew
Old 04-02-2011, 4:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by soolin View Post
It's a scam, let Gumtree know as well so they can keep an eye on the 'seller' in case he posts more items.
Done, reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azari View Post
Are they suggesting that a courier driver will hang around for 30 mins whilst you examine a package?

The whole thing sounds downright weird.

It looks as if the 'seller' is trying to get you to buy a voucher so he can top up his phone.

Has scam written all over it.
It does, luckily i'm very cautious
The Following User Says Thank You to leew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
leew
Old 04-02-2011, 5:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have just got this response back from our 'lovely' jen in response to me saying face to face or not at all.

I thought you'd be paying the delivery man after you inspect it but probably its because of the insurance delivery thing based on the contract I signed with them.... how should we proceed ? I'm currently out of town and I've already paid UPS for special insurance package so I see no point into taking the treadmill back from them. I'm already full with my schedule so please decide if you wish to continue or let me know otherwise. I wouldn't want to waste your time and neither I want someone else wasting mine.. Jen

Hmmmmmmmm!
# 9
soolin
Old 04-02-2011, 5:07 PM

Quote:
I have just got this response back from our 'lovely' jen in response to me saying face to face or not at all.

I thought you'd be paying the delivery man after you inspect it but probably its because of the insurance delivery thing based on the contract I signed with them.... how should we proceed ? I'm currently out of town and I've already paid UPS for special insurance package so I see no point into taking the treadmill back from them. I'm already full with my schedule so please decide if you wish to continue or let me know otherwise. I wouldn't want to waste your time and neither I want someone else wasting mine.. Jen

Hmmmmmmmm!
You could ignore them or you could worry them a little with a rather 'naive' reply. I was thinking of something along the lines of 'As Gumtree have warnings about unusual methods of payment i have been in contact with them to ask if it is oK to go ahead. They were really helpful and wanted all the details of the proposed transaction and have asked for all the emails with headers and have promised to get back to me tomorrow. However they have asked if i have your home address details and I wondered if I could have them as it might hurry up their reponse.'
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
leew
Old 04-02-2011, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by soolin View Post
You could ignore them or you could worry them a little with a rather 'naive' reply. I was thinking of something along the lines of 'As Gumtree have warnings about unusual methods of payment i have been in contact with them to ask if it is oK to go ahead. They were really helpful and wanted all the details of the proposed transaction and have asked for all the emails with headers and have promised to get back to me tomorrow. However they have asked if i have your home address details and I wondered if I could have them as it might hurry up their reponse.'
Like it i have done most of that to be honest apart from that bit!

I have sent them another e-mail asking about the availability from another address to see what the response is to that!
# 11
custardy
Old 04-02-2011, 6:36 PM

gumtree is full of scammers
use it as it was intended.for local face to face deals
The Following User Says Thank You to custardy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
leew
Old 04-02-2011, 6:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just had this reply after contacting her with a different email address

Hi, haven't sold yet. The final price is 125 quid. I'll be available on sunday afternoon for collection... if you're no timewaster and have cash 4 it reply straight away coz I want a fast sale hence the relative small price. Jennifer

Well that's very very odd!
# 13
Enterprise 1701C
Old 04-02-2011, 7:18 PM

Sounds like they are going to give that reply to everyone that replies, then they will get the next email saying they have to pay for it to be delivered, then they will become uncontactable. Several people paying up 125 for a non-existant bit of kit is a very easy way to make cash, and a lot of people are too embarrassed about being conned so decide to write off a "relatively small" amount of money to avoid having to admit they are gullible!
What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
# 14
annie-c
Old 05-02-2011, 2:03 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Just had this reply after contacting her with a different email address

Hi, haven't sold yet. The final price is 125 quid. I'll be available on sunday afternoon for collection... if you're no timewaster and have cash 4 it reply straight away coz I want a fast sale hence the relative small price. Jennifer

Well that's very very odd!
Hmm, have you made arrangements to collect yet?

I'd NEED to know what she'd do next....
# 15
paddypaws
Old 05-02-2011, 1:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default scam email from UPS and the Lovely Scammer Jen!

Yes its a scam, Ive informed UPS, and Gum Tree, also contact UKASH and they confirm scam but were pleased I had informed them.

Maybe nothing will happen, im sure ip addresses wont help track them, but for my own piece of mind I informed them as im sure many people have actualy paid them. Im like you and smelt the
rat.

For all our sakes could you go to the gumtree website and
send them a copy of your detail in your posting, ive done mine, jus maybe they might have some sort of mapping securtiy software that might prevent them listing again,

all the best
# 16
wmrec
Old 27-02-2011, 7:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Jen now changed to Jess

Had a dealing with this "person" who wanted 175 for a table, wording almost identical to the examples above. Even went as far as getting the Ukash voucher but did another google and came across this thread in time! Just trying to get a refund from Ukash now, will cost me 6% but could have been worse....
The Following User Says Thank You to wmrec For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
bumbu23
Old 28-02-2011, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi there,
i had been scammed out of money involving payment for goods on Gumtree using Ukash to pay yesterday.The lady called Jessica and she was a busy clothes designer.I've paid 150 I'm feel like an idiot.Be careful on Gumtree.Full of scams...(
# 18
bumbu23
Old 28-02-2011, 8:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exactly Jessica her name now.I had paid 150.Feel like an idiot.I think there is impossible to get back the money...
# 19
nexus2011
Old 01-03-2011, 1:43 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

http://www.ukash.com/uk/en/alerts/security-tips.aspx

Google is an amazing tool.
The Following User Says Thank You to nexus2011 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Durhamposter
Old 12-04-2011, 9:34 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Jessica has just tried to sell me a Janome sewing machine off Gumtree via UKash. Lots of very strange emails. Machine was advertised as in Liverpool, but is now in Scotland!
Beware!
Fancy my seller also being called Jessica, I'm sure it's just an innocent coincidence!
Closed Thread