Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > About MSE > Site Feedback > Lime Energy Saving Plug Recall - in today's MSE e... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Lime Energy Saving Plug Recall - in today's MSE email
Closed Thread
Views: 12,618
# 1
Premier
Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default Lime Energy Saving Plug Recall - in today's MSE email

I see in todays email that you are reporting the recall of all Lime Energy Saving Plugs, product code: ES1017.

Do you have a link to this official recall notice please? (e.g. from the supplier)

I have one of these plugs, but not sure how I got it. However it came from the UK distributor Grass Roots Group UK Ltd.

I can't see any notice of a recall on their websites,

https://www.freegreengadgets.co.uk/web/guest/home

or

http://www.shoponlime.com/engine/shop/index.html

where you can see it is apparently still being offered for sale.
I tried searching the internet for the recall notice and couldn't find it either.

I wanted to see the official recall notice as I wanted to know what exactly the fault is, does it affect all of these plugs or just a certain batch or ones offered through a certain outlet, is it a safety issue, etc.

Will the company be contacting me about this (since they have my address as they sent it me in the first place)?

I would call the company direct for clarification, but don't like the 0844 telephone number. Am trying to find a geographical (or freephone) number.

Edit: Have found the geographical number for them

01442 829400

Although I've also got the address of what seems to be the company that actually sent it, IOS in Jarrow.

Their phone number is: 0191 428 6525

Last edited by Premier; 02-02-2011 at 11:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Premier For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
AKS356
Old 02-02-2011, 2:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have a Lime Energy Plug but the Model is ES1016 is this being recalled as well, not used it yet?
Thanks
# 3
patf
Old 02-02-2011, 3:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Re: Lime Energy Saving Plug Recall - in today's MSE email

I also have a Lime Energy Plug marked as ES 1016 but, as already noted in 'Premier's' post, I can find no reference to this recall on any website for these products.......
Has anybody found more details yet?
The Following User Says Thank You to patf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
pochisoldi
Old 03-02-2011, 9:28 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default ES1017 recall

Just received the following email:

"
Product Recall Notice – Lime Energy Saving Plug (Model ES1017)
I am writing to inform you that we have found a potential safety problem with a batch of the Lime Energy Saving Plugs, Model Number ES1017, which can be identified via the label on the back of the plug. This email will be followed with a letter, which you should receive in the next few days.
The problem was identified following feedback from a very small number of customers who had experienced some problems with the individual pins of the plug that either fell out or remained in the socket when unplugged.
This problem could potentially lead to an electrical hazard or exposure to live electrical parts.I strongly recommend that you stop using the Lime Plug and turn off the wall socket power switch before removing it.
We will be sending you a replacement Lime Energy Saving Plug of a different model to replace your existing one and will endeavour to send this to you within 14 days from the postal notification that you will receive shortly. Along with the replacement plug we will include pre-paid packaging for you to return the original plug for its safe disposal.
I would like to reassure you that no other Grass Roots products are affected.
If you have passed this plug on to someone else, please would you also pass on this notice.
I apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your co-operation in this matter. If you require further advice, please contact our helpline on 08448 – 795160 or alternatively contact us by email on limeplugrecall@grg.com"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pochisoldi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
MSE Andrea
Old 03-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Forum Editorial Liaison
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi everyone

Grassroots contacted us letting us know they’re recalling the Lime Plug model number ES1017 and will be sending people who received one the ES1016 model instead. They’ll be including packaging so people can send the recalled one back. Anyone that ordered one and gave their email address should be receiving an email about it as well as a letter (as mentioned by pochisoldi above - great username by the way ).

Here’s the info we received from Grassroots:

We have found a potential safety problem with a batch of the Lime Energy Saving Plugs, Model Number ES1017. The problem was identified following feedback from a very small number of customers who had experienced some problems with the individual pins of the plug that either fell out or remained in the socket when unplugged. To date we have received feedback from four customers where this problem has presented.

Actions:

We are taking this very seriously; in light of the fact that the problem could potentially lead to an electrical hazard or exposure to live electrical parts we will be recalling the product.

We have composed a letter for the customers in receipt of the ES1017 plug model... We propose to print and send this letter, via 1st class mail, to the 111,337 customers (minus returns) that have received this plug model, on Tuesday (1st) of this week and also an email to those people where we hold an email address.

Following on from that we will be sending all customers a replacement Lime Energy Saving Plug from model no. ES1016 stock. Customers will receive these plugs within 14 days from the receipt of the letter. The replacement plug will have with it the pre-paid packaging for the customer to return the original plug so we are able to safely dispose of them.

We have created a dedicated helpline on 08448 795 160 and email address limeplugrecall@grg.com <mailto:limeplugrecall@grg.com> so we can identify and treat these customers as a priority. The contact centre team will be briefed in full, with comprehensive Q&As on the plug recall.

Follow @MSE_Forum on twitter
Join the MSE Forum
New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MSE Andrea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Random Name
Old 03-02-2011, 12:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just for info, the model number may be identified by way of a small sticker on the face of the unit which has the electrical socket pins in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Random Name For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
pmhtuk
Old 03-02-2011, 8:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just had a letter sent advising they're sending me a replacement in the post and then a self addressed envelope to return the faulty one.

Good move
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pmhtuk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
MSE Andrea
Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Forum Editorial Liaison

Hi again everyone

Grassroots has asked us to clarify a couple of points people have made in this thread.

Clarification on the product recall for the LIME Energy Saving Plug – Model Number ES1017:

We recently wrote to all customers who registered for a LIME Energy Saving Plug as part of the ‘FLUSH’ campaign that ran from mid November to 6th December informing them that we found a potential safety problem with a batch of the plugs.

(The batch can be identified via a label on the back of the plug - Model Number ES 1017.)

All customers who registered to receive one of the plugs via the promotion above, will shortly be receiving a replacement plug.

You will not have received a letter if your plug was ordered through a different promotion because this plug was supplied from a different batch and is not being recalled. If you had a plug passed onto you by someone else, then we have advised the registered recipient of the plug to pass on the recall notice.

Further clarification can be found under FAQs on the FREE GREEN GADGET website https://www.freegreengadgets.co.uk/web/guest/home

If you wish to contact us by telephone, please use the following number 0844 879 5160 and you will be through
to the customer service team. Alternatively, email us on limeplugrecall@grg.com

Follow @MSE_Forum on twitter
Join the MSE Forum
New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSE Andrea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Premier
Old 09-02-2011, 7:37 PM

Thanks for the update Andrea.

I received my letter on 4th Feb - hopefully everyone who is due one has received theirs by now.
Just waiting for the replacement product now.

If, like me, anyone is unsure what promotion they used to get their original plug, if they still have the packaging, it should say 'FLUSH' on the address label

Also, there appears some confusion over what the number ES1017 refers to. I see Grassroots refer to it as a model number, but the label on the back of the plug (as referred to by Random Name above) calls it a Product Code

Hope that helps anyone who thinks they may be affected
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Premier For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Premier
Old 22-02-2011, 9:20 AM

Has anyone received their replacement plug yet?

The letter said within 14 days which now seems to have passed.
# 11
zppp
Old 22-02-2011, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post

Not yet. I am waiting so I can swap them over.
Best Regards

zppp

The Following User Says Thank You to zppp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
JDPower
Old 22-02-2011, 5:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post

Nope, not yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDPower For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
dasim
Old 02-03-2011, 4:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Still waiting for a replacement. Letter said 14 days from 2nd Feb.
Anyone received theirs yet?
The Following User Says Thank You to dasim For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
JDPower
Old 02-03-2011, 9:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I received mine today, along with a note saying there was no need to return the faulty plug, just cut the cable off and dispose of the whole thing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDPower For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Pattybarndance
Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile Lime Energy Saving Plug

Same here! Received plug with message to chop off lead and dispose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pattybarndance For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Stv67
Old 04-03-2011, 11:09 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Still waiting

I had the letter from Grass Roots on 3rd February. It said I'd get a replacement within 14 days - which have now passed and still no sign of the new plug. So I emailed them at the address given in the letter and they simply sent me a transcript of the letter all over again!

Grass Roots? More like Gone To Seed!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Stv67 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Stv67
Old 04-03-2011, 11:13 AM
MoneySaving Convert

UPDATE - have just received a proper reply (i.e. not automated) from Lime customer services:

"Thank you for your email. We apologise that you have not yet received your replacement plug, due to a very large demand for these plugs. The last few batches of plugs were sent out a few days ago so you so should be with you short. Please be advised, that in line with the WEEE Directive (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment), we do not require you to return your original plug to us as previously requested. In order to ensure that the old plug is removed from the market, please cut off the infrared lead on the old plug and dispose of it in line with normal household waste procedures."
The Following User Says Thank You to Stv67 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Premier
Old 08-03-2011, 8:47 PM

My replacement plug eventually arrived today
# 19
olip74
Old 16-03-2011, 8:39 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Saw this at work today so sent the wife a message to check the code on the plug. Meanwhile...

...does anyone else get weird behaviour from their telly when using this plug? When we switch on the telly the sound keeps going unless you change the channel and then change it back again! I wouldn't say I'm an expert but I'm not a technical numpty and I simply don't understand how this plug could be causing this issue - but it is!
# 20
penedawn
Old 16-03-2011, 11:21 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Wink Got new one - destroy old one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Andrea View Post
Hi again everyone

Grassroots has asked us to clarify a couple of points people have made in this thread.

Clarification on the product recall for the LIME Energy Saving Plug – Model Number ES1017:

We recently wrote to all customers who registered for a LIME Energy Saving Plug as part of the ‘FLUSH’ campaign that ran from mid November to 6th December informing them that we found a potential safety problem with a batch of the plugs.
(The batch can be identified via a label on the back of the plug - Model Number ES 1017.)

All customers who registered to receive one of the plugs via the promotion above, will shortly be receiving a replacement plug.

You will not have received a letter if your plug was ordered through a different promotion because this plug was supplied from a different batch and is not being recalled. If you had a plug passed onto you by someone else, then we have advised the registered recipient of the plug to pass on the recall notice.

Further clarification can be found under FAQs on the FREE GREEN GADGET website https://www.freegreengadgets.co.uk/web/guest/home

If you wish to contact us by telephone, please use the following number 0844 879 5160 and you will be through
to the customer service team. Alternatively, email us on limeplugrecall@grg.com
I have today received the new one from this company. It was a freebie and they have requested that the other one have the plug cut off and be destroyed via normal waste procedures. Which in Brent is ideally via the dump for electrical goods, rather than sending them back. penedawn
Closed Thread