Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > The Cheapest Gas Supplier With No Standing Charge... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
The Cheapest Gas Supplier With No Standing Charge?
Views: 16,257
# 1
arion66
Old 19-01-2011, 3:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question The Cheapest Gas Supplier With No Standing Charge?

Dear All

I live in an ex-local authority flat and use gas only to supply my gas cooker in the kitchen. I use this fairly minimally, so the gas bill each quarter should be tiny but unfortunately it isn't. I find that I am on duel fuel paperless billing contract with NPower for both gas and electricy which charges a standard 70 pence per day standing charge for the gas alone. Until last summer I had been paying an agreed monthly direct debit of about 4 for my gas for several years on a different tariff but still with Npower, which seemed fine. Now I am paying about 28 per month for exactly the same amount of gas!

I would now like to identify the cheapest single fuel gas supplier without any standing charge at all, or alternatively, with the lowest possible standing charge. I'm not too bothered about the actual tariff for the gas per unit of use, because this should still be minimal. Can anyone help?

Many thanks indeed.

Arion66, London NW8.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
savemoney
Old 19-01-2011, 3:06 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Can you not get this information from a comparison web site? Ideally you need annual usage measure in kWh
The Following User Says Thank You to savemoney For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
MillicentBystander
Old 19-01-2011, 3:10 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Ring npower for your last 12 months usage figs (you may as well get electricity as well while you're on with them). npower are legally obliged to provide you with these figures. When you've got them, pop back on here with the figs and we'll have a look for you.
# 4
Cardew
Old 19-01-2011, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arion66 View Post
Dear All

I live in an ex-local authority flat and use gas only to supply my gas cooker in the kitchen. I use this fairly minimally, so the gas bill each quarter should be tiny but unfortunately it isn't. I find that I am on duel fuel paperless billing contract with NPower for both gas and electricy which charges a standard 70 pence per day standing charge for the gas alone. Until last summer I had been paying an agreed monthly direct debit of about 4 for my gas for several years on a different tariff but still with Npower, which seemed fine. Now I am paying about 28 per month for exactly the same amount of gas!

I would now like to identify the cheapest single fuel gas supplier without any standing charge at all, or alternatively, with the lowest possible standing charge. I'm not too bothered about the actual tariff for the gas per unit of use, because this should still be minimal. Can anyone help?

Many thanks indeed.

Arion66, London NW8.
Virtually all suppliers have a tariff without a daily standing charge. They usually charge for xxxxkWh per year at a higher rate.

However for very low consumption like yours it almost certain that joining Ebico will be your best bet. They have no standing charge of any type and the same rate if you pay quarterly on receipt or by Direct Debit.
# 5
MillicentBystander
Old 19-01-2011, 3:43 PM

Without hearing more details absolutely impossible to say either way, TBH. For instance, what if the OP hasn't completed the regulation 12 months on the npower paperless billing tariff and so won't collect the 105 annual discount (plus the chance of being asked to pay another 40 in exit fees). We need more details, basically.

PS The OP seems happy to pay by DD presently so it could be that there's a better deal than Ebico out there. We'll just have to wait and see...
# 6
arion66
Old 19-01-2011, 5:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Dear Respondees

Thanks so much for your indvidual and collective wisdom. I have just rung Npower, and have obtained the following total annual usage figures for 2010:

ELECTRCITY: 2286 units
GAS: 537 Kilowatt Hours.

Any further advice?

Arion66.
# 7
MillicentBystander
Old 19-01-2011, 5:50 PM

This is a difficult one. Are you sure you won't miss out on npower's annual discount paid in arrears by switching away? Because on that (actually almost unbelievably) low usage the 105 becomes a huge amount to lose. I think we need more info as to what npower tariff you are currently and how long you've been on it.

PS Is it a very small flat that you aren't in attendance at much?
# 8
ra200
Old 19-01-2011, 8:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have gas in my house and only the gas cooker runs of it my bill for 11 months gas was 22 on swalec but if i was on ebico it would have been even cheaper https://www.ebico.org.uk/
# 9
arion66
Old 19-01-2011, 9:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default RE - MilicentBystander

Yes, it is indeed a small flat and I am out every weekday until 6 or 7pm. I am currently on Npower Duel Fuel Tariff "Standard Sign Online 14/Monthly Direct Debit"...and regretting it. My duel fuel monthly direct debit suddenly changed from its usual 19 to 44 in November, having made the switch from a previous tariff last Summer on the dedicated advice of a switch/comparison website.

Any thoughts? Most grateful.

Arion66
# 10
MillicentBystander
Old 19-01-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is indeed a small flat and I am out every weekday until 6 or 7pm. I am currently on Npower Duel Fuel Tariff "Standard Sign Online 14/Monthly Direct Debit"...and regretting it. My duel fuel monthly direct debit suddenly changed from its usual 19 to 44 in November, having made the switch from a previous tariff last Summer on the dedicated advice of a switch/comparison website.

Any thoughts? Most grateful.

Arion66

Isn't SOL14 one of the tariffs where people have experienced massive increases? My fear here is that they have you by the short and curlies as it wouldn't appear you have ridden out your min 12 months contract so if you switch away you will effectively 'lose' 145 in total. Only suggestion I could make would be to ring them and ask to be transferred to SOL21 and see if they will waive the fees (other customers have stated the annual discount paid in arrears is not negated as long as you switch tariff not supplier but check first). SOL21 on your figs seems to be a ridiculous 259 cheaper!

PS My advice would be once your min commitment is up with this company to get the hell out of there. You can see what can happen in the 12 months they more or less force you to commit to! HTH.
# 11
KimYeovil
Old 20-01-2011, 12:44 AM

But it could be pointless waiting for a 105 discount if you are paying an unnecessary 255 standing charge. The OP has not identified their useage. They still have to look at what other tariffs would cost.
# 12
MillicentBystander
Old 20-01-2011, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimYeovil View Post
But it could be pointless waiting for a 105 discount if you are paying an unnecessary 255 standing charge. The OP has not identified their useage. They still have to look at what other tariffs would cost.

Should have gone to specsavers, Kim. The OP 'identified their usage' in post 6. I think my advice with regard to changing to SOL21 would probably be the way forward, just as long as the annual discount pertaining to SOL14 isn't negated. But like I said earlier, get out of npower as soon as is economically possible. This case certainly highlights the dangers of tying oneself into a variable tariff for a minimum of 12 months. Especially one that effectively has TWO exit fees. This is what deregulation has finally led to....

Last edited by MillicentBystander; 20-01-2011 at 7:47 AM.
# 13
arion66
Old 21-01-2011, 2:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up Thank you again - advice heeded.

Thanks to all of you who have responded to my inital question. I am following MillicentBystander's advice and will switch to SOL21 for the minimum term, and get out finally when I can. Npower have already confirmed I can keep my 105 discount.

Arion66
The Following User Says Thank You to arion66 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
macman
Old 21-01-2011, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Dear Respondees

Thanks so much for your indvidual and collective wisdom. I have just rung Npower, and have obtained the following total annual usage figures for 2010:

ELECTRCITY: 2286 units
GAS: 537 Kilowatt Hours.

Any further advice?

Arion66.
I'm dubious about these figures, as 537kWh of gas at say 4p per kwH is only 21 per year.
Are you sure it's not 537 units per year? Do you have a metric or imperial meter? Assuming metric, that would be about 6,100kWh, or 240pa.
No free lunch, and no free laptop

Last edited by macman; 21-01-2011 at 2:49 PM.
# 15
MillicentBystander
Old 21-01-2011, 2:51 PM

The OP stated the only gas appliance he has is a cooker so it's the electric consumption I'de be doubtful about, TBH.
# 16
macman
Old 21-01-2011, 3:00 PM

Which Npower gas tariff charges 255.50 a year standing charge?!!
# 17
MillicentBystander
Old 21-01-2011, 3:18 PM

SOL14 by the looks of it. I'm suspecting it's gone up massively since the OP went on in the Summer. This is hy you should be wary of the figs for SOL the switching sites use as they INCLUDE the 105 annual discount paid in arrears.

Standing Charge 60.7000p (ex. VAT) a day
(63.7350p a day or 58 per quarter inc. VAT)
# 18
Helen-Eva
Old 28-10-2011, 11:45 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am in an almost identical situation to the original poster except I'm with EDF and they have a standing charge of around 20p a day. Also, I've been with them for three years so there shouldn't be any annual contract issues. What is SOL14 and SOL21 please? I clearly need to switch but I can't work out where to.
Thank you.
# 19
macman
Old 28-10-2011, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen-Eva View Post
I am in an almost identical situation to the original poster except I'm with EDF and they have a standing charge of around 20p a day. Also, I've been with them for three years so there shouldn't be any annual contract issues. What is SOL14 and SOL21 please? I clearly need to switch but I can't work out where to.
Thank you.
But which EDF tariff? The standing charge will vary according to that. To switch, put your annual kWh figures into any recommended comp site.
# 20
Helen-Eva
Old 17-11-2011, 1:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman View Post
But which EDF tariff? The standing charge will vary according to that. To switch, put your annual kWh figures into any recommended comp site.
I know this may sound very stupid to you but I'm afraid I don't know how to find out what tariff I'm on. Does it say on the bill somewhere? And I'm afraid when I tried to put my annual kWh into a comparison site it said my usage was too low for it to work. Any advice would be much appreciated and please forgive me for being so stupid.