Preparing for Spring!!!

Fruball
Fruball Posts: 5,739
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 25 January 2011 at 9:01PM in Old style MoneySaving
As many of us have seen the sunshine today for the first time in ages I thought it might be nice to have a Preparing for Spring thread :)

My plans are:

To completely spring clean and declutter the house so I can laze in the garden when the weather is nice

To organise all my veg/fruit seeds so they are ready when the weather warms up

To de-winter the house; take off the horrible back door curtain (fleece hung with string!), put all the cozy throws in a box in the back of the wardrobe

Get some nice houseplants to cheer the place up - preferably some flowering ones

Change my snuggly duvet for a nice light summer one

Sort out my CD shelves and have one shelf dedicated to all my cheery summer type music

Start thinking of nice light recipes instead of the stodge I have been filling up with since October :eek:

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• As sad as it sounds Im looking forward to cleaning the windows outside, its OH house job but he never does it, says its too cold and dark after work! No excuses any more!
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385
    Forumite
    Frugal wrote: »
    Get some nice houseplants to cheer the place up - preferably some flowering ones

I'd like to do that as well, I'm not great at houseplants though, maybe a cacti to start with :D

I oftern buy flower, (get them from that garden in the summer) which look nice but obviously don't last in the same way a plant would.
  • Thank you for this Frugal, you've given me some inpriation to get my self sorted!!

so my preparing for spring list is:
    - dejunk the bedroom
    - sort the "floordrobe"
    - gather up and deliver the charity shop bits
    - some more stuff when i figure it out :D

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• I don't wish to sound like Eeyore but I can't feel like spring is around the corner until the days get much longer and February is finally behind us. I have a horrible feeling that the icy weather is going to come back with a vengeance sooner rather than later.

Still, I've got plenty of time to get those grow-bags in from B&Q to start my balcony-gardening and I've drawn up a mental-plan of what I'm going to germinate on the kitchen window-sill.

This bright sunshine is a lovely tonic, even if it's only today.
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Sadly, I suspect BitterAndTwisted may be right in that we haven't yet seen the back of this winter - but I really love the idea behind this thread - just what the doctor ordered! It's good to keep in mind that we are now steadily seeing the days inch into slightly longer ones, the bulbs are just beginning to appear above the surface and so we can remind ourselves that spring will arrive eventually. Today, after a really wet start in the early hours, is cold but bright, so lovely after the grey and damp of the last few days.
    I'm going to start my list of things to do in a notebook ( and yes, window cleaning will feature!) Not so sure about changing from the snuggly duvet just yet!
    Great idea, Frugal!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739
    Forumite
    Thanks ioiwe and beemuzed :D

I suffer really badly with SAD and as usual I have really struggled since November but a bright sunny day can really lift my mood and motivate me, reminding me that despite the fact it is still freezing cold and I am also sure that we will get more snow and ice, Spring IS coming. We are nearer to it each day and we are much more than half way thru the winter.

Hopefully this thread will help motivate others and we can start getting all those jobs done that means once Spring does arrive, we can enjoy it :)
  • Oh wow, thanks Frugal.

I have seen a lift in my mood today with the sunshine and although it's blimmin' freezing I've been out digging myself some borders to replant my redcurrant and strawberry plants, previously potted they were not doing very well.

Getting as much fruit planted in the garden is my priority as it costs me a fortune to feed my fruit loving kids.

Also I want to think about planting up a selection of herbs for cooking.

As for the house, well to take down the fleeces from the windows will be fab, bubble wrap off toilet windows and door curtain down. Can't wait, think they'll be in place for a wee while yet though.

Great thread. :)
    weight loss so far: 6lbs
    clothes neutral in £2011: fund.. £13.23
    virtual sealed pot member # 99: £5.03
  • Frugal wrote: »
    Thanks ioiwe and beemuzed :D

I suffer really badly with SAD and as usual I have really struggled since November but a bright sunny day can really lift my mood and motivate me, reminding me that despite the fact it is still freezing cold and I am also sure that we will get more snow and ice, Spring IS coming. We are nearer to it each day and we are much more than half way thru the winter.

Hopefully this thread will help motivate others and we can start getting all those jobs done that means once Spring does arrive, we can enjoy it :)

:) i know what you mean about a sunny day making a smile appear

even my cats perked up today (not that they need perking!!)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• What a lovely thread which has cheered me up no end!

I agree there will almost certainly be more cold stuff to come, but how fab to think that spring really IS getting nearer with each day. I need to think about herbs too - went to pick some thyme last night and it really is in a sad and sorry state. Dejunking first though - it's been too long since DDs and I had a good go through our wardrobes, so that can be the first thing.

Thanks for the mood lift!!
  • thanks for this Frugal,
    we need a mood lifting thread now that our regular one has been moved to the arms!!

for now the throws are staying put, as is the bubble wrap but i am slowly cutting down on the heating, although if it gets really cold then it will be back on a fair bit!!

if the weather stays dry this week then i will get the garden weeded - would LOVE to cut the grass but it's far too wet

windows will need washing inside and out

clean out all the kitchen cupboards and have a good sort out of them

declutter everywhere that needs it(most rooms/drawers)

the fence in the front garden will need a coat of varnish, the back garden fence and the shed will get a coat if i have enough varnish left

2 internal doors need glossing

the kitchen worktop needs to be resealed as does the sealant round the bath

the last 2 things on the list have been needed to be done for well over a year :o so i NEED to get those done........... so maybe i should move them to the top of the list :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure