IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What happens if my flight is cancelled due to snow?
Closed Thread
Views: 9,374
# 1
WOW Factor 0
EssentialParadox
Old 02-12-2010, 1:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default What happens if my flight is cancelled due to snow?

I have a flight booked to Canada for December 16th. Due to the recent snow and airport closures, I'm curious what happens if my flight were to be affected by the weather. I've never been in the situation of a cancelled flight, is there anyone who can explain the common procedure? Would I go on a flight the next day, would I get offered a refund, or could I end up spending Christmas in an airport hotel and not having any say in the matter?

Just a bit curious really...
# 2
apt
Old 02-12-2010, 9:21 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

It won't happen because the temperatures rise in the second half of next week. You have the right to choose a refund or travel on a different date or re-routing.
# 3
duchy
Old 02-12-2010, 9:26 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If you are travelling on 16th -why would you be spending Christmas at an airport hotel ?

I'm flying to the US on the 9th and I'm still confident I'll get there as planned.
I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
# 4
nancyo
Old 02-12-2010, 9:39 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I dont actually think your flight will be cancelled as its a couple of weeks away, we are supposed to get really freezing temps for a week and then they are to rise a bit, so hopefully you will be ok.

Depends who you are flying with regarding re-booking for next day, as if the airports are still closing in a couple of weeks their aeroplanes wil be all out of sorts and have alot of catching up to do, so I am sure they would put you on the next available flight
# 5
jackieblack
Old 02-12-2010, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Apt has given you the answer above, re-route or refund. In the event the flight is cancelled/delayed then you are entitled to be 'cared for' by the airline under Regulation 261/2004 Article 9:

Article 9

Right to care
1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered free of charge:
(a) meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time;
(b) hotel accommodation in cases
- where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, or
- where a stay additional to that intended by the passenger becomes necessary;
(c) transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other).
2. In addition, passengers shall be offered free of charge two telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails.
3. In applying this Article, the operating air carrier shall pay particular attention to the needs of persons with reduced mobility and any persons accompanying them, as well as to the needs of unaccompanied children.

Full Regulation here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...4R0261:EN:HTML
Hi
I notice this is a european regulation, would this still apply to flights to/from USA/Canada?
2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
# 6
jackieblack
Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
It covers all airlines when they depart from an EU airport together with all EU based airlines when flying to the EU.

Non-EU airlines are not covered when flying from outside of the EU to an EU destination e.g. Delta flying from New York to London would not be covered, but the leg from London to New York would be covered as it was departing from the EU.

Regulation states:

Article 3

Scope
1. This Regulation shall apply:
(a) to passengers departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies;
(b) to passengers departing from an airport located in a third country to an airport situated in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies, unless they received benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that third country, if the operating air carrier of the flight concerned is a Community carrier.

Hope this helps.
Thank you, that's really helpful.
We've been weighing up the relative merits of BA vs Air Canada for some flights next year.
Uncertainty of BA strikes vs uncertainty of a non-EU carrier if there is any kind of delay

Having been in the USA at Easter this year, when the volcano erupted, we were glad we'd booked with Virgin (Hols) - they put us up in a much nicer hotel than we could have afforded to stay in and we got all our expenses repaid, eventually.
2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
# 7
EssentialParadox
Old 02-12-2010, 4:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the replies everyone. I realize it's unlikely to happen, but thought it might be worth knowing this information just in case. You never can be sure about British weather these days!

Thanks.
# 8
pollypenny
Old 02-12-2010, 5:18 PM

Last year we were stuck in Florida after two cancellations due to snow at Gatwick. It was very difficult getting through to BA for any help. Thankfully we were at DS's place so accommodation wasn't a problem.

Going US Airways from Manchester via Phildelphia this year., so have fingers crossed.
Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
# 9
cactusdust
Old 02-12-2010, 6:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollypenny View Post

Going US Airways from Manchester via Phildelphia this year., so have fingers crossed.
You'll wish you stuck with BA.

# 10
pollypenny
Old 03-12-2010, 12:37 PM

Not sure about that. Gatwick seems to be particularly vulnerable to snow closures.

# 11
neilbond007
Old 03-12-2010, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollypenny View Post
This is my normal route. Flew home with them in January. Was lucky enough to get in Business with US airways miles. The seats were quite pitiful compared with BA / Virgin.
My experience with them in economy isn't great. Once opened the catch to let the tray come down as the food was being served... and it came off in my hand. Another time I was crazy enough to ask for water and was told "can't you just sit down and go to sleep?".
Lovely people

Flying ORD - LHR - MAN with BA this year in club. Looking forward to that one!
The Following User Says Thank You to neilbond007 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
pollypenny
Old 03-12-2010, 3:53 PM

We used them in Sept 09. The flight timings are good for us, as we have to get an early shuttle to Gatwick in case of trouble.

We only decided to go to DS's at last minute and the only BA flights were expensive, even using half airmiles.

Enjoy your club flight! And have a good Christmas.

Pol

xx

# 13
Letzer
Old 04-12-2010, 1:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi

Does anyone know if you get a full refund (to the penny), when a flight is canceled by the airline?

I was due to fly to Dublin on Thursday last, the airport was closed and Flybe canceled the flight, I chose a refund rather than to re-schedule. However, when I was on Flybe's website applying for my refund, they asked two questions:

1. Was your flight canceled? - I replied yes
2. Do you want to cancel your return flight? - obviously I replied yes, due to cause and effect i.e. I can not return from a destination that I have not traveled to in the first place!

But I am concerned that Flybe will not refund the full amount. Does anyone know what "wiggle" room airlines have on this? Also, they have advised me that a refund will take up to 28 days and that my bank may take longer to refund my account. What is that all about?

Many thanks for any help on this one
# 14
richardw
Old 04-12-2010, 2:07 PM

What is "wiggle" room?
# 15
Letzer
Old 04-12-2010, 2:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

"wiggle" room = their opportunity not to refund in full. As I had to cancel my return flight
# 16
richardw
Old 04-12-2010, 2:27 PM

What do think they are going to knock off your refund amount?
# 17
freestyle986
Old 11-12-2010, 5:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default snow disruption

Hi,

I had a package holiday (i.e. flights + accomodation) booked with Qwerty Travel but this had to be cancelled because of the snow disruption at Gatwick Airport.

I've asked them for a refund but they have told me they can only give me a refund of the flights (with Easyjet) which they have now paid, and that I should chase Easyjet for my accomodation costs. Having called Easyjet, I was told they don't refund accomodation costs for disrupted holidays.

Is there any path I could go down to try and reclaim my holiday's accomodation costs? I'm thinking I have to try and chase the travel insurance company (70 excess I believe ) or failing that a long shot may be going cap in hand to VISA's debit card chargeback scheme... any other ideas/rights I may have (I would've thought the travel agent might have had more obligations).

Kind thanks in advance to any wise MoneySavers who are able to assist!
# 18
bagand96
Old 11-12-2010, 7:15 PM

Quote:
I had a package holiday (i.e. flights + accomodation) booked with Qwerty Travel but this had to be cancelled because of the snow disruption at Gatwick Airport
Firstly you didn't have a package holiday cancelled. You had flights and hotel booked through an agent (Qwerty travel). Subtle difference. Your flight and hotel bookings were totally separate. Flights booked with easyJet, accomodation booked with an accomodation provider (probably stated on your documentation somewhere) Easyjet couldn't get you to the destination so have refunded you. They have no responsibility for any accomodation you may have booked.

The hotel provider could still provide the rooms, they were there for you. Granted not your fault you couldn't use them, not their fault either though. I think you need to double check the terms of your hotel booking with Qwerty Travel. Sometimes you can get refunds, but it will depend on their terms, and also those of the accomodation provider.

Visa chargeback probably can't help you. That covers non-provision of service. And I've already said the service could still be provided (hotels room were available). Out of interest did Qwerty charge you one amount for your booking, or two amounts, when they billed you? The only reason I ask because if it was one amount, you could theoretically claim you paid them xxx for a holiday that you then didn't get. However, I suspect its in their T&Cs that you are not booking a package, just a flight and hotel, so I doubt that angle would work either. This leaves the travel insurance I'm afraid, they should pay if it covers weather disruption; and you will just have to take the hit on the excess.

This is the subtle difference between a package and a flight+hotel. If it had been a Thomson/Thomas Cook etc package holiday, you would have been refunded everything, as you book a Holiday, all on one contract.

Last edited by bagand96; 11-12-2010 at 7:17 PM.
# 19
macman
Old 11-12-2010, 7:48 PM

As advised, your only remedy is your travel insurance-EJ have no responsibility for any consequential loss arising.
Just curious as to why you booked EJ flights through a travel agent though-why didn't you book the flights yourself online and the accom through the agent?
No free lunch, and no free laptop
# 20
sarahstopspending
Old 17-12-2010, 9:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

sorry to hijack this thread, but can anyone help.
we are due to fly liverpool-belfast ith easyjet on wednesday (22nd) for christmas. the snow has started today in both places and flights to belfast for today have been cancelled.
IF this keeps up til wednesday and my flight is cancelled, i know i can choose to re-book or refund, but what happens if they reopen 23rd dec, i assume those flights will already be booked up, so would i actually stand a chance of getting on a flight before christmas?
if i get a refund how long does it actually take to get it?
thanks for any help!!
xxxx
Debt 1: Personal Loan 88 per month til 2010
Debt 2: Overdraft of 900 limit, now down to 500, should be down to 200 by end of April and then cleared end of May
Debt 3: Credit Card 500 - haven't spent on it in a long time, so just to pay off the 500
Closed Thread