Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    kittykarate
    Vauxhall Insignia - how do you do a hill start?
    • 28th Nov 10, 10:47 PM
    Vauxhall Insignia - how do you do a hill start? 28th Nov 10 at 10:47 PM
    My company has issued me with a Vauxhall Insignia hire car, the weird thing about it is that it has a 'parking brake' switch, rather than a handbrake.

To release the parking brake, you have to depress the brake pedal at the same time as pushing the swith, which means it's really difficult to shift my foot across to the accelerator before the car rolls backwards..

Am I missing something? The car doesn't have manuals so maybe I'm missing a trick.
Page 1
    • hc25036
    • By hc25036 28th Nov 10, 10:53 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    hc25036
    • 28th Nov 10, 10:53 PM
    If it's the same as my Passat, ignore the switch and just try to pull away and the brake releases automatically. Except... sometimes it doesn't and you have to press the switch as well whilst trying not to swear in front of the family!
  • Flying-High
    Do they not have Hill start assist as standard?... It'll detect a certain angle and hold brake pressure for a moment as I understood it... So pedal and switch off then gas....Maybe way off the mark here though not had the delights of an Insignia yet.
  • kittykarate
    It definitely doesn't release automatically - when I first got in it, the parking brake was engaged, tried driving away and it just bonged at me lots and told me off.
  • nsimpson123
    My Vauxhall Astra has this button also, you need to touch the footbrake and press your handbrake button, but it should still hold until you actually press on the accelerator, I've not had a problem rolling back but I still feel really nervous every time, I'd prefer a conventional handbrake anytime
  • kittykarate
    • 28th Nov 10, 10:55 PM
    • 28th Nov 10, 10:55 PM
    Do they not have Hill start assist as standard?... It'll detect a certain angle and hold brake pressure for a moment as I understood it... So pedal and switch off then gas....Maybe way off the mark here though not had the delights of an Insignia yet.
    Originally posted by Flying-High
    Sounds sensible, definitely not what I experienced at some lights last night, had the "oooh heck rolling back" moment, had to jump back on the footbrake *cue embarassment and a near rear ending by the bloke behind me*
  • kittykarate
    • 28th Nov 10, 10:57 PM
    • 28th Nov 10, 10:57 PM
    I've not had a problem rolling back but I still feel really nervous every time, I'd prefer a conventional handbrake anytime
    Originally posted by nsimpson123
    To be honest, this bloody button would put me off buying one of these!

If you're someone who adapts well to change I can see it working for you, but at the minute I'm still flailing around in the cabin and am having far too many mistakes ...
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 28th Nov 10, 10:59 PM
    • 27,763 Posts
    • 15,681 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 28th Nov 10, 10:59 PM
    • 28th Nov 10, 10:59 PM
    The car doesn't have manuals so maybe I'm missing a trick.
    Originally posted by kittykarate
    Download it from the Vauxhall site...

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/manuals
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 29th Nov 10, 9:11 AM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,354 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 29th Nov 10, 9:11 AM
    • 29th Nov 10, 9:11 AM
    I test drove a "New" Meriva with this silly switch, one of the reasons I didn't buy, and it was just a matter of driving off normally and the brake released automatically. I would expect the Insignia has a similar system?
    The Conservative Party is a bit like double cream. Rich, thick and full of clots!
  • kittykarate
    I would expect the Insignia has a similar system?
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    It doesn't seem to - if I try to drive off with the parking brake on it bongs loudly and flashes up that I should depress the footbrake to release. Unless there's some different modes of operation for it, and mine's been set on 'super secure drive you insane' setting.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 29th Nov 10, 9:28 AM
    • 23,599 Posts
    • 49,970 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    To be honest, this bloody button would put me off buying one of these!

If you're someone who adapts well to change I can see it working for you, but at the minute I'm still flailing around in the cabin and am having far too many mistakes ...
    Originally posted by kittykarate
    I borrowed a Passat a little while ago. This 'feature' was a complete pain. What was actually wrong with a hand operated parking brake? Is this another example of 'We can do it so we will'?
  • Freddie_Snowbits
    Remind me to give these cars plenty of room on Dudbridge hill, I shall increase the gap between us, especially between 8 and 9 in the morning and 2 and 3 in the forenoon. Schools tend to chuck out early in my parish
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 29th Nov 10, 9:37 AM
    • 14,767 Posts
    • 12,973 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    Personally, I avoid cars with an 'electronic parking brake' like the plague. To me, the 'handbrake' should be this big lever between the front seats that you pull up with your left hand to actuate it. Just pressing a button that sends a signal to a computer to tell it to apply the brake just doesn't fill me with confidence.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • Bennifred
    • By Bennifred 29th Nov 10, 9:43 AM
    • 3,874 Posts
    • 7,946 Thanks
    Bennifred
    I had an Insignia as a hire car for 3 weeks recently, as my own Avensis was written off in an accident. I must admit that to start with the electronic parking brake totally freaked me out. But after a couple of trips, and once I realised that it actually does work, I loved it!

There is a 2 second delay on the brake before it automatically releases, so you just drive off as if it wasn't on (yes, it does bong wildly - just ignore that, it stops) It's brilliant for hill starts!

I now have a Zafira, back to a manual handbrake, and I wish I had an electronic one! (Wasn't that keen on the Insignia - I thought the visibilty was poor and the model I had was fairly gutless)
    [
    • harveybobbles
    • By harveybobbles 29th Nov 10, 10:13 AM
    • 8,757 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    harveybobbles
    The only leccy parking break that is any good is the Scenic one. You just breath on the throttle and it will release. The Passat one is crap! You have to make the make the car look like it has kangaroo juice in it when you pull away.

BMW's have that hill assist thing where it hols the car for about 3 seconds when you take your foot off the brake pedal.
    • abacab
    • By abacab 29th Nov 10, 10:46 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    abacab
    I nearly burnt the clutch out on a hired passat last year on the queuing slope to the needles car park on the Isle of Wight.Taught me you didnt have to keep pressing the footbrake after that though.
    Luckily the burnt clutch smell abated before returing it.
    Apologies to all the people on the car park that hot day.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 29th Nov 10, 10:48 AM
    • 10,176 Posts
    • 12,814 Thanks
    vikingaero
    What happens in an emergency and the brakes fail? If I press the electronic handbrake will the computer override me or will it obey and apply the handbrake? I imagine if it does apply the handbrake will it be a full on application or gradual?

That's the good thing about manual handbrakes - you can control it.
    The man without a signature.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 29th Nov 10, 10:51 AM
    • 23,599 Posts
    • 49,970 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    There is a 2 second delay on the brake before it automatically releases, so you just drive off as if it wasn't on (yes, it does bong wildly - just ignore that, it stops) It's brilliant for hill starts!
    Originally posted by Bennifred
    Ah! That must be what they call 'progress'.
  • Inactive
    Another useless item to go wrong that will cost an arm and a leg to fix when it goes wrong.

We are going backwards.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 29th Nov 10, 11:09 AM
    • 23,599 Posts
    • 49,970 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Another useless item to go wrong that will cost an arm and a leg to fix when it goes wrong.

We are going backwards.
    Originally posted by Inactive
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

692Posts Today

6,161Users online

Martin's Twitter