Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Vauxhall Insignia - how do you do a hill start? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Vauxhall Insignia - how do you do a hill start?
Closed Thread
Views: 21,219
# 1
kittykarate
Old 28-11-2010, 10:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Vauxhall Insignia - how do you do a hill start?

My company has issued me with a Vauxhall Insignia hire car, the weird thing about it is that it has a 'parking brake' switch, rather than a handbrake.

To release the parking brake, you have to depress the brake pedal at the same time as pushing the swith, which means it's really difficult to shift my foot across to the accelerator before the car rolls backwards..

Am I missing something? The car doesn't have manuals so maybe I'm missing a trick.
# 2
hc25036
Old 28-11-2010, 10:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If it's the same as my Passat, ignore the switch and just try to pull away and the brake releases automatically. Except... sometimes it doesn't and you have to press the switch as well whilst trying not to swear in front of the family!
The Following User Says Thank You to hc25036 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Flying-High
MoneySaving Stalwart

Do they not have Hill start assist as standard?... It'll detect a certain angle and hold brake pressure for a moment as I understood it... So pedal and switch off then gas....Maybe way off the mark here though not had the delights of an Insignia yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flying-High For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
kittykarate
MoneySaving Convert

It definitely doesn't release automatically - when I first got in it, the parking brake was engaged, tried driving away and it just bonged at me lots and told me off.
# 5
nsimpson123
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My Vauxhall Astra has this button also, you need to touch the footbrake and press your handbrake button, but it should still hold until you actually press on the accelerator, I've not had a problem rolling back but I still feel really nervous every time, I'd prefer a conventional handbrake anytime
The Following User Says Thank You to nsimpson123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
kittykarate
Old 28-11-2010, 10:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-High View Post
Do they not have Hill start assist as standard?... It'll detect a certain angle and hold brake pressure for a moment as I understood it... So pedal and switch off then gas....Maybe way off the mark here though not had the delights of an Insignia yet.
Sounds sensible, definitely not what I experienced at some lights last night, had the "oooh heck rolling back" moment, had to jump back on the footbrake *cue embarassment and a near rear ending by the bloke behind me*
# 7
kittykarate
Old 28-11-2010, 10:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsimpson123 View Post
I've not had a problem rolling back but I still feel really nervous every time, I'd prefer a conventional handbrake anytime
To be honest, this bloody button would put me off buying one of these!

If you're someone who adapts well to change I can see it working for you, but at the minute I'm still flailing around in the cabin and am having far too many mistakes ...
# 8
YorkshireBoy
Old 28-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykarate View Post
The car doesn't have manuals so maybe I'm missing a trick.
Download it from the Vauxhall site...

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/manuals
The Following User Says Thank You to YorkshireBoy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
oldagetraveller
Old 29-11-2010, 9:11 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I test drove a "New" Meriva with this silly switch, one of the reasons I didn't buy, and it was just a matter of driving off normally and the brake released automatically. I would expect the Insignia has a similar system?
The Conservative Party is a bit like double cream. Rich, thick and full of clots!
# 10
kittykarate
Old 29-11-2010, 9:23 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldagetraveller View Post
I would expect the Insignia has a similar system?
It doesn't seem to - if I try to drive off with the parking brake on it bongs loudly and flashes up that I should depress the footbrake to release. Unless there's some different modes of operation for it, and mine's been set on 'super secure drive you insane' setting.
# 11
LandyAndy
Old 29-11-2010, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykarate View Post
To be honest, this bloody button would put me off buying one of these!

If you're someone who adapts well to change I can see it working for you, but at the minute I'm still flailing around in the cabin and am having far too many mistakes ...
I borrowed a Passat a little while ago. This 'feature' was a complete pain. What was actually wrong with a hand operated parking brake? Is this another example of 'We can do it so we will'?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LandyAndy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Freddie_Snowbits
Old 29-11-2010, 9:36 AM
PPR

Remind me to give these cars plenty of room on Dudbridge hill, I shall increase the gap between us, especially between 8 and 9 in the morning and 2 and 3 in the forenoon. Schools tend to chuck out early in my parish
# 13
maninthestreet
Old 29-11-2010, 9:37 AM

Personally, I avoid cars with an 'electronic parking brake' like the plague. To me, the 'handbrake' should be this big lever between the front seats that you pull up with your left hand to actuate it. Just pressing a button that sends a signal to a computer to tell it to apply the brake just doesn't fill me with confidence.
"You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
The Following User Says Thank You to maninthestreet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Bennifred
Old 29-11-2010, 9:43 AM

I had an Insignia as a hire car for 3 weeks recently, as my own Avensis was written off in an accident. I must admit that to start with the electronic parking brake totally freaked me out. But after a couple of trips, and once I realised that it actually does work, I loved it!

There is a 2 second delay on the brake before it automatically releases, so you just drive off as if it wasn't on (yes, it does bong wildly - just ignore that, it stops) It's brilliant for hill starts!

I now have a Zafira, back to a manual handbrake, and I wish I had an electronic one! (Wasn't that keen on the Insignia - I thought the visibilty was poor and the model I had was fairly gutless)
[
# 15
harveybobbles
Old 29-11-2010, 10:13 AM

The only leccy parking break that is any good is the Scenic one. You just breath on the throttle and it will release. The Passat one is crap! You have to make the make the car look like it has kangaroo juice in it when you pull away.

BMW's have that hill assist thing where it hols the car for about 3 seconds when you take your foot off the brake pedal.
# 16
abacab
Old 29-11-2010, 10:46 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I nearly burnt the clutch out on a hired passat last year on the queuing slope to the needles car park on the Isle of Wight.Taught me you didnt have to keep pressing the footbrake after that though.
Luckily the burnt clutch smell abated before returing it.
Apologies to all the people on the car park that hot day.
# 17
vikingaero
Old 29-11-2010, 10:48 AM

What happens in an emergency and the brakes fail? If I press the electronic handbrake will the computer override me or will it obey and apply the handbrake? I imagine if it does apply the handbrake will it be a full on application or gradual?

That's the good thing about manual handbrakes - you can control it.
The man without a signature.
The Following User Says Thank You to vikingaero For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
LandyAndy
Old 29-11-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennifred View Post
There is a 2 second delay on the brake before it automatically releases, so you just drive off as if it wasn't on (yes, it does bong wildly - just ignore that, it stops) It's brilliant for hill starts!
Ah! That must be what they call 'progress'.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LandyAndy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Inactive
Old 29-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Another useless item to go wrong that will cost an arm and a leg to fix when it goes wrong.

We are going backwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inactive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
LandyAndy
Old 29-11-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
Another useless item to go wrong that will cost an arm and a leg to fix when it goes wrong.

We are going backwards.
Closed Thread