Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

0 WOW
    Prepaid Envelopes
    • 30th Apr 04, 7:58 PM
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Envelopes 30th Apr 04 at 7:58 PM
    Do you get loads of postage prepaid envelopes in your junk mail?

Why not use them?

Stick a label over the original address and write (or preferably type) your address on it. stick it in the post and off it goes.

I tried it a few times with empty envelopes and put my own address on them and sure enough they are delivered.

Might be advisable to only use for the type of postage where it is not the end of the world if it doesn't arrive !!!

Moderator comment:- NB This may well be illegal or considered as fraud.
Page 2
  • Re: Prepaid Envelopes could email the junk mailers some doggy poo back in their kindly paid evelopes they provided.
  • loopyloo
    Re: Prepaid Envelopes
    Just reading through this thread and am amazed that some of you get mail by 10am!!!

I only get mail twice a week (2 big bundles, normally wednesdays and saturdays! usually at around 2pm if i'm lucky!

• jrgodfrey
    Have a drink on me!
    When I get junk mail with pre-paid envelopes I welcome them because it solves 2 problems. 1. Getting rid of those big plastic bottles likle Coke bottles that take up so much dustbin room and 2. Getting rid of supermarket plastic bags. What to do?
    Fill the bottle with water, 2 Litres is 2 Kilograms, Put the filled bottle in the bag, Seal it with selotape and stick the pre-paid envelope on the bag and post it sometimes with a note "Have a drink on me"
  • Digitaldave
    Savvy Sue wrote;
    If only the TPS could be used for business phone numbers. I have lost count of the number of sales people who have interrupted my work asking to speak to whoever is responsible for the phone bills. Fortunately I can head them off at the pass very quickly by saying we don't have BT phone lines!
    Your prayers have been answered Sue.
    As from last Friday businesses can now subscribe to this service
    Follow this link to register;

The fun bit is listening to their reaction as you ask for the company details, as you give them a choice of reporting them to TPS or them paying you £100.

This ploy does work as I've personally received £50 from it and know of one person who has set up a tape recorder next to his phone to record any cold-calls.

Hope the first bit helps
  • raeble
    oh no! are the royal mail really going to bother forking out to take you to court for the price of a stamp?Or even a few postage stamps? I don't think so! So why not just reuse the envelopes, the likely hood anything would happen to you is more or less impossible!

Man was arrested last night for defrauding a junk mail firm for 26p,he plead guilty and he was sentenced to 6 months prison time. *MuhaHahAha*
    No Royal Mail can't be bothered to take you to court. What they do is charge the recipient the unpaid postage fee, plus a handling charge of £1. When they spot it and they are spotting it more and more. Trust me, I work in a despatch department of a national organisation. We've had more little cards for unpaid postage in the last twelve months than we've had in the last five years put together. It's got so bad that we've started to leave stuff at the post office unless we are expecting book returns and even then it's being refused unless it's specificially addressed to the library.

If you get a card for unpaid postage, you don't have to pay for it. You can refuse the item or leave it at the post office and it will get returned to the sender after about three weeks.

The best thing to do is either destroy the junk mail or send it back to the sender using their own envelope, that is really going to get to them. Using their envelopes for something other than that does not mean they will get charged, if anything it mean's they won't.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 29th Jun 04, 1:01 AM
    • 35,611 Posts
    • 31,763 Thanks
    Savvy Sue wrote;

Your prayers have been answered Sue.
    As from last Friday businesses can now subscribe to this service
    Follow this link to register;
    THANK YOU! Just registered. We haven't been able to do it until now as we are both a registered charity and a limited co and it didn't apply. Oh I am SO looking forward to talking to the next sales person!

Also I shall put this on the CH and SB bit of the board - crediting you, DigitalDave!
  • kirkie
    If I get a pre paid envelope I just seal it and send it back to them...If they want to send me junk mail I will send it back to them at there own cost....
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 11th Sep 04, 3:20 PM
    • 18,282 Posts
    • 28,661 Thanks
    Glad I found this thread. what I'm going to do with mine is put sticky label over them and use them to send sons school dinner money and milk money in.
    • jellyhead
    • By jellyhead 11th Sep 04, 3:31 PM
    • 20,875 Posts
    • 24,200 Thanks
    i re-use them for school money etc. and also re-use them using sticky labels for saving the environment etc. you can get them from oxfam but they do actually cost more than the cost of buying envelopes lol!

sending it back to the company is a fantastic idea, i love that lol!!!
  • gollum
    Any junk mail I get with a pre paid envelope included, I carefully tear up the contents, making sure my name and address are left untouched and clearly visible, then place it all in the pre paid envelope and post it off.

I'm sure it keeps my junk mail down to an absolute minimum, and it gives me "an enormous sense of well-being".
  • nina
    This is doing the email rounds at the moment.
    Post the junk email company back their unwanted info. in their prepaid envelope. Which means they are disposing of the unwanted content, not you. It also keeps the post office busy as email is reducing the demand for snail mail.
    If you wish to exclude any content with any personal info. on it, such as your name or address remove it before posting.

I do not take newspapers or magazines into my home. So most of the waste paper collection I heave out to the roadside each week is junk mail. After reading the above recently, I'm going to have a go!
    Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh aloud, work hard, give freely and be kind.
    Dance as if no one were watching
    Sing as if no one were listening
    Love as though you have never been hurt
    Live each day as if it were your last
    for the good of the forum please close this thread
    Dont blame us poor posties we are only doing what we are told.
    When you get your mail at 4pm are you the last person that gets a delivery on that round or does he/she have another hour of work to do before the round is finished ?.how can you have your mail at 10am when they are still sorting it up at 11am ,You are supposed to finish at 2pm but have to work another 2-3 hours nearly everyday un-paid to finish your round because if you ask for overtime everyone in the office will lose their bonus ,they would get bullied so bad (by managers too) that they just quit the job and don't tell me its B*lls*it because i have seen it happen.
    The max weight of a bag to be carried is 8-11 kg depending on the type of mail,i sort a walk to be delivered by 3 men in the morning there use to be 6 but that has been cut to 3 which was the whole point of the single daily delivery job cuts.they each take 5 bags weighing 8-11kg everyday to be delivered,bags are dropped off and they collect them from points around the walk The most bags taken out for delivery this year so far in ONE DAY by a single postman is 23.
    little bit of inside info for you:
    If you are caught stealing you get the sack,if its been a while since its been in the papers about a postman/woman caught stealing they will take you to court as a warning to others:
    So be warned they like to biuld up a strong case so you cannot say it is a one off thing you did.
    Please close this thread, un-like all the other threads posted here which are legal offers provided by individual firms.
    One last thing ROYAL MAIL may not take you to court but how about the other firms who handle your mail ? everyone forgets that ROYAL MAIL are not the only ones that handle your mail anymore !
  • halloweenqueen
    I put our income check in the bank evey monday morning using one of these - I put it in by hand so I'm not using the postage it is saving me an envelope every week though!
    If you have things that you can post by hand these can save you money without fraud!
  • handsomeDaddy
    Or you could use the prepaid envelopes to dispose of junk mail. They send some to you, you send them some back.
    will do this..
  • dc
    MODS this is hardy a SHOPPING topic :rolleyes:
    ac's lovechild
  • halloweenqueen
    Yeah it is - we ain't buying envelopes!
  • Benji
    Here's my 2 penny-worth of how to deal with junk mail.

1) Register with TPS/MPS etc online - costs nothing.

2) That takes a while to take effect, so re-use the envelopes with a stamp until they stop arriving.

3) After about a month, mail should only come from companies that you have asked for info (are you SURE you haven't ticked the box that says 'send me your junk' when you've entered their online competition?)

3a) If you get legitimate junk mail after that - email the company to remove your address. Keep the email as you're then covered by the MPS
    3b) If you get illegitimate junk mail, report online to the MPS.

And some thoughts about junk mail...

It provides about 70% of the RMs letter business - it really does keep the posties in work.

If you send the 'junk' back to the company, it costs them more, and that gets passed on in cost to the consumer - which might be you or I!

Re-using the envelopes through the post without adding a stamp is illegal, full stop. It's not 'only illegal if youre caught'. It will frequently cause the letters recipient to have to pay a large surcharge. Will they really think a letter from you is worth £1 plus! Inciting fraud is also an offence - hope your home addresses are all kept private by the MSE site.
  • nina
    Ooo thank you. I registered with TPS and MPS, yet I still receive junk email. But I didn't know that if I use email to contact the relevant companies I am covered for it.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh aloud, work hard, give freely and be kind.
    Dance as if no one were watching
    Sing as if no one were listening
    Love as though you have never been hurt
    Live each day as if it were your last
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 15th Feb 09, 9:55 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 730 Thanks
    I am thinking of doing this.
  • silkcutblue
    Lol. This thread is great. Gave me loads of ideas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,737Posts Today

7,169Users online

Martin's Twitter